Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Donnybrook on topic Re:Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I fell into a very lightly-used SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical scope with Badger Ord. rings for $150. It was in absolutely new condition. These scopes are incredible...especially for the money. They are tough as nails and the glass is crystal clear. Mil-dot reticle. They just got the military contract so that should tell you something. The customer reviews are nearly all perfect. I don't think you could do better than this scope for under $1000. Here's the link. swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx
13 years 4 months ago #5975

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
13 years 4 months ago #5978

Replied by markthenewf on topic Re:Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

I've not used a lot of scopes, but that SWFA SS 10X42 scrope Donnybrook has is what I have. It's a Mil Dot and it appears to be the best bang for the buck. I've only used it a few times out to 200 yards punching paper, but it's quite nice. I believe I got if for about $400, so that's a pretty good deal considering the power/features and praises it's getting.

Rgds,

Mark
13 years 4 months ago #5981

Replied by dm1911 on topic Re:Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical scope

one of my best scopes I have, had it on everything
for $299 new you can't beat it!
8 years 11 months ago #44493

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MountainRN on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

If you are after mid or long range the Millet scope is an affordable compromise and gives some good performance. Mine is 3 years old and still running well.

For 3gun I am running a Primary arms 1-6x. I have shot out to 600 yds with my tired old eyes with this scope and it is under $300. Last I looked the factory was out of em, but there are still some on Amazon.
8 years 11 months ago #44501

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

I am a major believer in low cost scopes, yes I have an ACOG, but that came after a lot of playing around with various lost scopes and then deciding where my sweet spot is, the I spent the bucks to buy uptown and I still have a few low cost scopes laying around.

Why chose a ACOG: Simple, its my HOG gun, rough handling, dirty, dusty conditions, rain or shine its good to go., 3.5x just works!
8 years 11 months ago #44516

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

Cowboy - perfect use for a ACOG.
8 years 11 months ago #44518

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

Well somebody resurrected a 4 year old thread. That’s OK still a good topic to discuss. A few thoughts FWIW.

A lot of good advice has already been posted. The following comments are worth a re-read:

“Some advice...buy the best optics you can. Great things can be done with an average rifle and good optics...the reverse is not true and will lead to failure.”

“Too many people get hung up on the variable scopes being able to go from low power to high. Unless you use a high quality scope you will lose some accuracy due to mechanism mechanics. Only the really high dollar scopes are excellent throughout the power range. For me the perfect tactical/sniper scope, on a .308 rifle, would be a 3.5 to 10 or 12X scope. No higher magnification is needed.”

“ a scope beyond 10-12 power for a 308 is a waste of scope and money…. A good scope is more important than a good rifle, as has been said here elsewhere. But you have a good rifle, so why diminish it's capability with a mediocre scope. It's worth the wait to save up the money for a quality scope.”

“SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical scope. … These scopes are incredible...especially for the money. They are tough as nails and the glass is crystal clear.”

“SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical scope… one of my best scopes I have, had it on everything for $299 new you can't beat it!”

Some good advice there.

So given the OP’s budget limit my suggested scopes are: 1) the SWFA 10x42 and 2) the Weaver Tactical Grand Slam Rifle Scope 3-10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle which is currently $299 at Midway.

I’m sure there are others but these are two I have used/owned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: R6600DH, Akai, jtallen83
8 years 11 months ago #44530

• Thank you received: 22

Replied by MTM on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

Have some scope swapping to do this week. Current scope on the AR10 is a Leupold VX-R 3-9 with the Firedot reticle. Nice scope but the illuminated reticle covers up too much target for me. Thinking I'll put a SS 10x42 I have from another rifle in its place. The Leupold would work nicely on a .223 1-9 twist I put together. On order is a Vortex PST 6-24x42 I found as a demo from cameraland. That will go on a Savage 10 FCPK .308. I'm in agreement with your re-posting Silver78.
8 years 11 months ago #44589

• Thank you received: 14

Replied by R6600DH on topic Best Scope for a Mid-Length .308?

You will love the Vortex. I have a Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP on my LE901. It is very versatile and the illumination has variable settings. I have had a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14X50mm with a Duplex Reticle on my AR-10 A4 for several years. I have been using Leupold scopes for many years with great success. I totally agree with Silver78 that if you have a good rifle why diminish it's capability with a mediocre scope. It's definitely worth the wait to save up the money for a quality scope. On the same token, sometimes a quality scope is out of reach in your current financial situation. I know when I started to get into shooting, I could not afford a quality scope but I just couldn't wait to put a scope on my first AR. I needed instant gratification. Fortunately I had a friend that I worked with that guided me in the right direction so I could find a good lower dollar scope. The good thing is that today there are tons of quality lower priced scopes to choose from. You also have the internet and websites like this one with knowledgeable people to guide you. Silver78 has recommended several good scopes for under $300.00. What ever you do, don't buy junk! You will never be happy and you will be throwing your money away. If you want to physically touch and demo scopes find a major retailer or go to a gun show. Look at them, look through them. This way, you know what you are getting before you buy it. Also, if someone tells you that their $69.00 scope is just as good as a high dollar scope from a major manufacturer, politely walk away and talk to a reputable dealer. Happy shooting!
8 years 11 months ago #44594

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!