Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ACOG TA11E Questions

• Thank you received: 0

ACOG TA11E Questions was created by JimSchwab

I'm looking to purchase my first AR-10. I like the idea of a 16" length with a CQB scope on it with slight magnigication, so that I can still have fun and shoot the gongs at my local range out to 500M.
I'm on the fence between DPMS and Armalite, leaning heavily toward DPMS since I believe it offers best bang for the buck (quite literally, I guess!!).

I've also narrowed down my scope choice to the ACOG TA11E. I like low magnification with then simple chevron reticle. I am wondering though, what grain bullet the BDC is set up for. I have a several thousand rounds of mil surp 147g. stuff, but it isn't clear what it's set up for. Any insight would be helpful. I would assume that it's set up for NATO rounds, but who the heck knows? The 10x Mark4 M3 on my Remington 700 has a BDC for 168g, so really, it would just be a guess on my part.

On a side note, if anyone has an opinion on a scope that would work well for CQB work as well as maybe hitting gongs out to 500M, I'd love to hear about it.

Anyone ever use an EOTECH at range? Not a "precision" instrument, I realize, but might work well to hit center of mass on some steel targets.

Thanks!
Jim.
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by JimSchwab.
13 years 10 months ago #4379

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:ACOG TA11E Questions

I have the TA11J-308 on my RRA LAR-8 16". It's great! I love the green reticle and I can hit all the gongs out to 1000 yards at my range using the BDC.

I can't remember what it is calibrated for. I'll try to remember and look when I get home, but I usually shoot the 147 gr surplus through it.

The ACOG's are a little trickier to use for CQB stuff, because of the magnification, but I like them better than the EOTechs anymore. I still run an EOTech on one of my AR's, but for the type of shooting I do, I prefer the ACOG, even in CQB.

Here's a picute of the LAR-8's. The one in the background has the TA11J-308:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

13 years 10 months ago #4380

Replied by dpmsfulton on topic Re:ACOG TA11E Questions

Check out the Nightforce NXS 1-4 with the red dot reticle. I think that the FP-2. I have one on my DPMS and love it. Much more flexibility and quality than the Trijicon.
13 years 10 months ago #4381

Replied by JimSchwab on topic Re:ACOG TA11E Questions

thanks for getting back, guys. INterested in the Nightforce optic... did a quick search and believe its probably the FC2 reticle, correct?
www.opticsplanet.net/nightforce-nxs-compact-riflescope.html

I'd be interested in learning if you're using it to shoot at any distance, and if so, how you compensate for bullet drop using it.

I'm not kidding myself into thinking that a 16" barreled weapon with a low magnification scope on it will be a tack-driver, but would like to hit some steel at distance.

Thanks again,
13 years 10 months ago #4382

My mistake, yes, it's the FC-2 reticle. You can use it at 1x as a red dot scope for CQB or dial it from 1-4 for distances out to 500-600 yards. You won't be shooting precision at that range but well enough to hit chest size targets. For range estimation, that dot, as you can see on their reticle chart is surrounded by a circle, and the circle has a vertical line beneath it. The distance from the dot to the bottom of the circle is 5 moa. then the distance from the bottom of the circle to the top of the verticle line is another 5moa and another 5moa to the bottom of the line. Therefore, you can easily estimate a 2.5, 5. 7.5, 12.5 or 15 moa drop. You can be more precise depending on you ability. Sort of like a poor mans BDC. I don't know if that was their intention when they designed it, but I think so. You can also guestimate windage the same. It's easier to understand and explain when you have the owners manual with charts and diagrams, but it works fine for hitting human size targets (but not precision) out to 600 yards at 4x. If you buy one, (yes they are pricey but not that much more than the trijicon, and you get alot more for the money, drop another $150 on the scope and get it with the zero stop turrets. Also the clarity of the glass will put the Trijicon to shame, no comparison. Scope was designed for big game/dangerous game hunting at close ranges but you won't be doing that with a 7.62. It was actually designed for heavier calibers so holds up very well for a 7.62 Truly a versitile, high quality scope, especially for a 16inch barrel. I also recommend buying from Bear basin outfitters. Good prices, great in stock supply, and fast delivery. Good customer service also. Can't believe I wrote that much but no, I don't work for Nightforce or Bear Basin. Now ask me about my 2-12 Valdada!
13 years 10 months ago #4383

I was looking hard at the 2x12 Valdada with the (i think) MP-8 reticle for .308. Read nothing but good things about them. I'm familiar with the glass they use, and thought it might be a good option too. What the eye relief like rolled all the way down to 2x?
13 years 10 months ago #4384

The Valdada is also a great scope and for me, the MP-8 reticle works better than anything I've ever used. It is however, more of a long range scope, or more accurately I'd say a slightly slower scope due to the size of the dot in the reticle. Not really meant for fast CQB type shooting which you could do with the Nightforce. BUT, it is an excellent scope for long range and cranks all the way down to 2x so you can really get a wide field of view. The glass is better even than the Nightforce, hard to believe, but true. But this is a bigger and heavier scope than the NXS, so if you are going to limit yourself to one scope, you need to decide where you're going to be doing the bulk of your shooting. I shoot much more by far at less than 1/2 mile than I do at more than 1/2 mile. I have the Valdada for the occassional times I really stretch out, but the bulk of my shooting can be taken care of with the Nightforce. Both are superior scopes but meant for differnt purposes. If you are trying to stay with just one scope, you might want to wait a few months, Leupold is coming out with a 1-8x tactical scope and it probably would fit the bill for the best compromise. But, you can't do better than either the Nightforce or Valdada in my opinion.
13 years 10 months ago #4386

I'm really glad you're helping me out here... The glass you have is stuff that I'm seriously looking at. Valuable input for me. I've never had a problem justifying spending serious money on optics, however, I only do so after being well informed. I very well may wait a few months for the Leupold to come out, and in the meantime, get some decent Troy Industries flip up BUIS for it, which was in the cards anyway, and maybe a cheap red dot (30 bucks) just to have fun with at close distance. I'm pretty pumped up today... today is the day i go to the gun store and plop down the cash for the Armalite or the DPMS... Can't wait to hold them both.
Thanks again for the Leupold advice. I have three Mark 4's right now and love them all. Low level light gathering ability (almost) second to none. Buddy of mine has a U.S. Optics scope that was insanely expensive. Couldn't really tell the diff. on that until it was almost dark out, and you could still see the target at 300M with it, but not with mine. not worth the premium to me. Well, maybe for a really high end bolt gun. Thanks again.
13 years 10 months ago #4387

I never mentioned US Optics, which is the ultimate scope manufactucter, just because they are insanely priced. But also insanely good scopes. I opted for the two scopes the come out to about the price of one US optics, but give me greater flexibility, but very close (very) to the performance of the US optics.

And it seems you have yet to decide on a brand of rifle. I own and recommend DPMS, although I am probably in the minority on this site. But if you read through some of the threads, particularly where MSH (THE master gunsmith) have opined, I think you will find he thinks very highly of DPMS. I think it is also more user friendly to upgrade and option out. Think down the road before you decide, because you will be making a decision that will drive what options you have for accessories and after market stuff, which you will probably end up getting invested in. I'd be embarrassed to admit the cash I've dropped on after market stuff, most of which I love, but you are at a fork in the road, one being DPMS and the other ARMALITE.

Happy shooting.
13 years 10 months ago #4389

I picked up the DPMS. Panther Sport 16". It was on sale at my local gun shop for $875. New. I looked at a similar Armalite, and it was a full $425 more. It was nicer in some ways, had a chrome lines barrel and (I think) a forward assist, felt a little better to handle too, but definitely not $425 better. For the price, DPMS was a no brainer for my first AR. I'm pretty happy. DPMS says to clean after every shot for the first 25. I didn't do that. I did, however, clean after each for the first 10 or so. Seems to clean up just fine now. I have noticed that I get a FTF every once in a while shooting my mil surp SA stuff. Might try some German DAG next to see if it likes it better.
If I can keep my hands out of my wallet, I'm thinking of waiting for the Leupold. I'm really leaning hard toward the nightforce right now though.
13 years 10 months ago #4395

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!