Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

day/nith vision

• Thank you received: 67

day/nith vision was created by foxhunter

so I was watching Tactical Arms on the spmn channel last night and they were showing various ways to go with night optics. They mentioned a company and got me to looking on the webb and I found they now have Day/night scopes in fixed and variable power. Found a nice looking 2.5-10x variable scope in generation 3 and it was only $6,000. Wow what a bargain!!!
Anyway,( there is no way I would spend the money) I was wondering if anyone had experience with these type scopes.
I see the advantages of variable power in a night vision scope and not having to change scopes from day to night and then worrying if it held its center without having to sight it in again. But at that price, You could have a dedicated AR10 with a 4x or 6x gen 3 night optics scope.
13 years 7 months ago #5497

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:day/nith vision

The only way I could see it "holding zero" would be if it were in a LaRue Mount....but I see your point....Hey why we are at it...how is that night vision scope you bought working out...I thought about it at one time...but I can't justify the cost on it...(to the wife :dry: :laugh: ) so I gave up on it...but I do have a hand held one that is fun to play with....trying to see if I can mount it behind my red dot...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
13 years 7 months ago #5506

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:day/nith vision

Well, I really like it. I got my wife to go for it because she does search and rescue and when people get lost in the Shawnee forest I let her take it and use it as a monocular for searching at night.
They are heavy though. So if you have it on an ar10 and are scanning for coyote or hogs at night, it is good to have your gun on a tripod, because it gets heavy fast. I had it on an ar15 at first, because it was a light gun, but I was doing some predator hunting and the 223 just didn't have the knock down power, so I keep it on an AR10 now.
13 years 7 months ago #5516

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: day/nith vision

Hello foxhunter.
I can't really get a good fix on what it is you are describing, but I think from the sound of it you are referring to the day/night optics like the PVS/22 or the ATN PS/22.
I own one of the ATN PS/22 models. Mine is a gen 2+pgst. I can't really tell you what that means, but I can tell you that it works fine for hog hunting/silhouette target shooting out to about 200 meters with good (80%+) illumination.
I am in the Army, and I have used the PVS/22 as well as other models that are gen 3+...These scopes are phenomenal...I have positively identified people by facial recognition at over 400 meters with them in optimal conditions. The biggest problem I have with them is the price tag.
As for the ATN PS/22 that I own, it does fine for my application, which is primarily hog hunting. If I were a SWAT officer it wouldn't work...Tactical applications call for positive identification of a threat prior to engagement, and I wouldn't feel comfortable with the gen 2+ to provide that...it's pretty clear, but not clear enough to distinguish a gun in a hand as opposed to a cell phone at 200 meters. It will absolutely betray a hog's position in a field, however.
There are a few drawbacks. One, in order to use this optic there are two basic mounting options. the first is an adapter that attaches the whole optic to the objective lens housing of your existing day scope. I don't like this method, because this thing is pretty hefty and I don't like having my scope support extra weight out on the end fulcrum that it was never designed to support-especially under recoil. The second option is to mount the devise directly to the rail in front of your optics. This is the method I prefer, as my rail is free-floated and therefore does not put any extra strain on my barrel. The downside here is mounting height. There are no spacers or provisions to adjust the mounting height of the night optic, and so you are limited on the mounting options of your day scope in order to line it up correctly. For use with an ATN PS/22 mounted to the rail, your day optic scope must be mounted so that the center line of the scope is at 1.5 inches above the mounting surface. This puts the optics a bit higher that I like to have them...I am generally a believer in mounting my optics as close to the line-of-bore as possible, but I stepped outside of that box in this case so that I could use the night vision and it has not really caused me any noticeable grief downrange so far.
The only other drawback I have encountered is that the magnification of the day scope must stay in the low to mid spectrum in order to obtain a good sight picture. (2.5 to 6X) The focus on the night site itself can be adjusted for clarity, but I have found that this is futile above 6X, as the magnification is simply too high and it pixelates the image.
As for holding zero it works great, as it should. The night vision optic has nothing to do with the zero anyhow. The day optic does all of that work, and since it never has to come off, it never changes.
12 years 11 months ago #7439

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re: day/nith vision

what I saw was a dedicated variable powered day/night scope, not something that attaches in front of your existing scope.
Anyway, I use a d740 4x gen3 on an AR10 rifle that I love.
bought it at TNVC. check out their products at www.tnvc.com. Lots of cool night vision systems and accessories.
12 years 11 months ago #7440

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!