Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

• Thank you received: 0

Burris #AR-332 (3X scope) was created by New AR10 Shooter

I was hoping to gather some real life experience info. on the Burris #AR-332 (3X scope with "CQ" close quarter retical. I am thinking about coupling it with the Burris #AR-QD quick disconnect mount.

Any feedback would be appriceated.

I plan on primarily hunting deer with this rifle and as I stated before if the suburb ever comes under attack for home defense.

As I am a newbie, do I need to order one with the bullet drop compensating retical "specifically" for a .308 round or is there only one standard bullet drop compensating retical?

Thanks in advance
12 years 10 months ago #7859

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

I do not have the Burris AR332 Prismatic Sight, but I can answer your question about BDCs. Most BDC reticles are set for a particular caliber. In some cases, BDCs are optimized for a particular bullet weight, as is the case with the Burris AR332. For .308/7.62 there are two reticles available. One for 150 gr bullets and one for 168 gr SMKs

Here's a link to Burris' AR332 page with the different type of reticles:
AR 332 Reticles

Leb
RLTW
12 years 10 months ago #7860

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

Wow...Thanks for posting that Leb....I didn't know that they came out for the .308, I added that link to my files for future Reference...Thanks again.

NAR10S..."New"... ;)
Something like this set up would be fine, in my opinion, for short range hunting and so forth...but the issue with a "fixed" power...such as 3x is that in close range it can be problematic in acquiring your target..I have read a few articles with statements from LEOs and Military personnel about such issues with the Acog.
Now granted, it is all up to the individual and "Personal Preference" as to what they want...
That being said...I will offer my suggestion.... ;) :whistle:
For what you describe might I suggest the Burris XTS-135 Tactical Speed dot..
I have one and have tested it on my AR-10 A4 CB and it held up great, it has a 5 MOA dot...with no X but you could, given the length of the upper receiver, very easily add a 3x magnifier behind it...this would give you your "hunting ability" as well as address your concerns on Home defense....
Again...just my input...
But to answer your question....I am with Leb...if you go this route get the BDC for the .308, which one is up to you depending on what ammo you are going to shoot....I would say...the 168....should work with almost any of the "high end" 168gr ammo....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 10 months ago #7869

Replied by New AR10 Shooter on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

Thanks for the input. I am very happy to have joined this site.

Great to be able to draw from experience and similar passions.

I will learn how to post things in the right spot. HAHAHAH

Thanks again.
12 years 10 months ago #7876

Replied by a308hammer on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

Thought I would add some to this discussion. All of the above points are valid, but keep in mind that even with a dedicated 7.62 BDC and running with the same ammo weight that the optics manufacturer suggests you are going to have differences in ballistics solely based on length of barrel, match chamber vs. non-match chamber, elevation, barimetric pressure.....the list can go on.

For example....my .308 AR (less than 300 rounds through it) shoots into 1/2 MOA at 100 meters with Federal 168 BTHP Match at 2460 fps from a 16" barrel, the city G3 rifles do not shoot even 1 MOA and push the same bullet from an 18" medium weight barrel at close to 2800 fps. Using the same scope there are going to be big differences in bullet drop.....Variables!

I have run a Leatherwood CMR scope with a 5.56 reticle on my 16" .308 AR out to 500 meters using the mil holdovers supplied in the scope. It only starting missing when I got to 600 meters. My Dept. runs 4 custom G3's with Burris XTR 1-4 scopes wtih the same type of reticle, and I have repeatedly engaged steel targets out to 500 meters with those as well. It is actually so easy it is boring.

You will always have to make small adjustments in your holdovers based on your rifle, ammo, and your environmental conditions. If you run a smart phone there are some good free apps to predict those holdovers, as well as ones for the stationary computer. Again, your mileage will vary based on variables.

Happy hunting.

Hammer
12 years 9 months ago #8070

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

Odd. When I posted this originally it wound up in the "mil-dot scope" thread.

Valid points. BDCs are handy in complex environments with multiple brief target exposures at varying distances, where speed of engagement time is more important than pin point precision. The only way to get true precision from a BDC is a custom reticle (preferably with matching turrets) designed with a particular rifle, barrel length, bullet type and weight. The downside to that solution is that the scope is "slaved" to a particular rifle and ammo. It also tends to be pretty spendy. I think a good compromise between speed and precision is Horus' H58/59 and Tremor2 reticles. They looked pretty cluttered and complicated but it's actually pretty simple to use.
RLTW
12 years 9 months ago #8075

Replied by Talon57 on topic Re: Burris #AR-332 (3X scope)

I just purchased the AR-332 scope for my AR-15, to make it a close quarter to 500 yd rifle. It works great.
I just purchased the Millet 4x16x50 Tactical illuminated mil-dot for my AR-10, so it can reach out there.
12 years 5 months ago #9149

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!