Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Question about auto

• Thank you received: 6

Question about auto was created by Moreau

I have an old Colt AR-15 SP-1, I think it's from the late 70's. The question is, can I LEGALLY make this rifle full auto? I mean with the appropriate licenses and everything. I've heard some can be turned into transferable full autos but others could not. I know the guys on here can give me some good info that won't get me locked up! If you need any more info I can get it, but it might be a few days as I leave it as well as most of my rifles out at my parents farm since I'm currently living in the city.

Thanks,
Joe
10 years 6 months ago #28715

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Question about auto

My info is a bit old with FA, I mostly do suppressors now, but the only way to go FA in your particular rifle is to purchase a Registered Drop In Auto Sear (RDIAS). The RDIAS is the transferable NFA component, your AR remains a normal rifle. These are popular because you can keep moving it to any AR you own.

The other option is to get your Type 7 SOT and manufacture the weapon under your license as a machine gun. I think you need what's called a demo letter from a qualifying agency to do that. It would only be dealer transferable to LE/MIL/GOV. You do get to play with you demo guns all you want though, and if you have an 'in' with a local department you can do a fair amount of side business that wont make you rich but will let you get the cool stuff.

As far as I know, no new transferable full auto after 1986 is still the unfortunate rule.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by 13fcolt. Reason: spelun
10 years 6 months ago #28729

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Question about auto

Thank you NRA and president Reagan, miserable backdoor dealing :censored: :banghead: :censored: :banghead: :censored:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #28733

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Question about auto

Was Reagan really in on it or did they sneak it past him? I've heard it both ways but never anything confirming one or the other.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 6 months ago #28741

He signed it! The buck stops at the top. It was one of those "grand bargains" politicians like so well. The NRA stopped getting my money from that point on, bite me. I read Madison and Jay's federalist papers. The intent of the 2nd was for Americans to secure their LIBERTY with military grade weapons, it is written in plain english!
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #28746

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Moreau on topic Question about auto

I thought since it was a pre-ban rifle it could be turned full auto, if you had the right "type". Read somewhere it had to have a certain hole drilled in it somewhere. I don't know much about it. I just wanted it to be full auto and transferable and of course legal.
10 years 6 months ago #28757

I'm not sure about the holes but I know the sear has to have been registered prior to 86. A full auto registered sear costs about as much as a registered full auto rifle. Drill all the holes and mill all you want, without that sear your out.
Full auto may be fun but controlled fire can be pretty effective, spend the money on ammo for practice. You can also get a "slide fire" stock for that full auto effect but I've always considered them more of a toy.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 6 months ago #28761

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Question about auto

Just make yourself a lightning link. Illegal, but simple.

www.thehomegunsmith.com/pdf/fast_bunny.pdf
10 years 6 months ago #28766

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Question about auto

I often wonder what ever happened to the M 16 FA my supply sgt gave me for a class I was going to teach. It was US Army issue and after I taught my class i went to give it back and the old Sgt with his EVER present cigar in his mouth said 'Sir that is yours, yours to keep' I said what do you mean? He said don't worry its not in the inventory, just thought you would like to have it as a memento from your Vietnam days. I said how did you get this. He said EZ, there is no shortage of these not in the inventory system, you want a 1911?

That ole Sgt could get his hands on ANYTHING, not sure how he did it or who he knew but if I wanted it I could get it, off the books.

When I left, I left that thing in a secret storage closet we had which was a false wall in an office. I am sure that sooner or later someone would start moving things around and peel that old operations board off that wall and discover that secret room and its contents, one of them being a FA M 16. As I understand an actual M 16 FA than can be traced to Vietnam will bring about $25,000 in good shooting shape...
10 years 6 months ago #28780

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Question about auto

haha back in the day with no electronic records right?
10 years 6 months ago #28781

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!