Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The finished product

• Thank you received: 96

The finished product was created by txlongshotb4

Well the holidays are far behind us now and I've finally had time to get the finished paint job on my rifle. Here she is, in all of her glory, painted up and sporting the suppressor/night vision kit out in the woods behind my house.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Range work has been hard to come by, but as far as factory loads go it seems to like Federal 168 Match and Black Hills of the same weight. The groups sizes improve with the can on it,( so far about 1/2 MOA) and I am extremely pleased with the Gem Tech's ability to both repeat P.O.I. and the noise reduction. I took a HUGE leap of faith with Lapua Ammo, and shot some of their 200 Grn. Subsonic through the can. I am happy to report that it stabilized fine, and inside of 100 meters the grouping isn't terrible. (about 3 MOA.) I was also impressed with the terminal ballistics of the round. While the performance is nowhere near that of supersonic loads, I would certainly not want to be on the receiving end of one.
When I can get some free time to get to the range, I plan to investigate some more and find a good base factory round from which to begin the load-tweaking process on my reloading bench. I have hopes that with some good hand loaded precision ammo, I can get the groups down even tighter...but for now, I have an appointment this weekend with the woods-I plan to go out, re-zero with some 180 Grn. Grand Slams, and give some of the local feral bovine hooligans a case of the what-for...here's hoping there will be more pictures come Monday...

Hope ll is well for everyone, and that your new year is a great year!
Last edit: 13 years 3 months ago by txlongshotb4.
13 years 3 months ago #6419

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re:The finished product

Real nice!! Need any help getting rid of some hogs?

Jer
13 years 3 months ago #6421

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:The finished product

Looks great! Nice job!
13 years 3 months ago #6426

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by edritchey on topic Re: The finished product

Awesome job, I'm gona have to get me one of those camoed up rifles for my collection.
12 years 11 months ago #7622

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: The finished product

Maybe I'm a little late on this one, but who made the can and did the finish on your awesome rifle. Good to hear that the can didn't affect the accuracy as that has been my concern. Just finished a muzzle brake that looks similar to the one on the Barret .50 cal and it worked great(for those that need that look) personaly too loud for me and I like a little kick and would like to stick with a can. Kind of new to finishes and just had the wife's Springfeild NM 9mm done in pink once again personal preferance, would like to start doing my own finishes on guns have anodizing capabilities, so any help on the camo finish would be appericiated.AKAI
AKAI
12 years 11 months ago #7636

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: The finished product

The can is a Gem Tech HVT quick detach model. I painted the rifle myself. I used Aluma Hyde II, which is an epoxy based spray on finish that works just like spray paint. It's a tough finish that is very resistant to solvents and cleaners, and it is available from the Brownell's website. I used a combination of dark earth and coyote brown as a base coat. I did a few top coats with regular krylon spraypaint after the Aluma Hyde dried, using a piece of military cammo net as a stencil.
12 years 11 months ago #7649

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!