Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

LAR-8 Varmint Barrel Break-in

• Thank you received: 0

LAR-8 Varmint Barrel Break-in was created by MustanGrande

Hello, all. I recently took delivery of my new LAR-8 Varmint A4, with the 20" stainless barrel. Since there seem to be several people here who are knowledgeable about the LAR-8 Varmint, I was wondering... What is considered to be the "right" way to break in the stainless barrel? Is the standard cleaning between each shot recommended, or is there a better method?
12 years 1 month ago #10584

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Shield of Faith on topic Re: LAR-8 Varmint Barrel Break-in

I broke-in my barrel by the following; clean between each shot for the first 5, then every other next 5, then 3 shots to 19 total rounds then every 5 to 34 total rounds.

I also contacted the guys at Rock River and they told me that the barrels really do not need to be broken-in.

My groups are usually Less than 1/2 Moa. With factory ammunition, 168 match grade, I get 1.25 inch groups in no wind conditions at 300 yards at 950 foot elevation. I am working on custom loads but I have had 4 different cases of bullet holes touching at 300 yds (2 shot group). The problem is the 3 shot groups always throws one outside of an inch at 300yds (or maybe it is just me).

Some of the US Marshal snipers are hitting 1/4 inch with them.

I will post more when I get back to the range and try out my new loads. :)
12 years 1 month ago #10626

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!