Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

LAR8 Elite Operator Issues

• Thank you received: 0

LAR8 Elite Operator Issues was created by sakrandog

Hello everyone - a horror story follows so beware... After waiting almost five months for my Rock River Arms LAR8 Elite Operator and new polymer mags to arrive, I was burning to get that beautiful rifle to the range and sight her in. The rifle looked perfect inside and out - my only disappointment was that all the RRA mags looked to have had the retaining notch ground down with a Dremmel tool (mod apparently completed by RRA but still looked bad). After cleaning and lightly lubing the rifle, I took it, a selection of fresh LC M80, German and British NATO surplus ammo, and a few additional FAL mags to the range. Long story longer - in two range sessions totaling just 80 rounds (I took it home in disgust to field strip and clean it after the first 70), I experienced 14 serious malfunctions which included stovepipes, double feeds that bent cartridges, as well as two really weird ones where the rifle partially chambered a live round with the ejected empty case stuck neck-first between the front of the bolt carrier and the ejection port (empty case hit the brass deflector and "bounced" back into the chamber maybe?). Almost as bad is the chipping and damage the ejection port took in the process... Needless to say, the rifle is boxed up and heading back to RRA tomorrow (RRA customer service was provided pics of the "jams" and is to be commended for their service thus far). Any ideas what may be going on here? I am a infantry Marine as well as a gun enthusiast (but no gunsmith!) so please skip the "no brainer" stuff - the malfunctions occurred with all ammo and mag combinations...

Many thanks!
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by sakrandog. Reason: Typo!
11 years 9 months ago #11706

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: LAR8 Elite Operator Issues

Could be one of several things, based on your description.

- Short-stroking due to a gas leak. The gas ports on the barrel and gas block may not be properly aligned or drilled to spec. The carrier key may also be loose. EDIT: Your gas tube may have a leak or be out of spec in some way.

- A burr or obstruction in the receiver extension that's not permitting full compression of the buffer/buffer spring.

- A rough or out of spec chamber.

- There could be something wrong with the mag catch/mag well that's not allowing the mag to seat correctly.

- Were there brass shavings in the extractor? If so, it might have a weak extractor spring.

You used the term "lightly lubed" in your post. Did that include the BCG? All ARs, regardless of caliber need a heavy coat of lube on all moving parts. While I don't think that's the main culprit to your rifle's issue(s), it may have played a contributing factor to it.

Hopefully, RRA will square it away in short order.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Additional Info
11 years 9 months ago #11709

Replied by sakrandog on topic Re: LAR8 Elite Operator Issues

Thank you - one point I failed to mention was that during the cleaning I performed upon returning from the range, there was quite a bit of "grit" in the receiver and on the bolt carrier (unburned powder possibly?). I did not notice any seepage coming from the gas block nor were there any shaving in the extractor.
11 years 9 months ago #11710

What did the expended brass look like?
RLTW
11 years 9 months ago #11719

Expended brass looked fine minus slight denting on the mouth of the cases - probably due to the extraction process. No noticeable swelling, major scuffing or rim issues. I shot 60 rounds of the same mix of ammo out of an M1A the same day and had zero problems...
11 years 9 months ago #11724

If the brass looked okay, then I'm pretty certain something is hinky with your gas system, which is causing the failure to extract/eject. Double feeds are almost always magazine-related. Since the double feeds occured with all mag/ammo combinations, I'd wager the rifle's mag catch is out of spec as well.
RLTW
11 years 9 months ago #11731

Thank you for your input. I requested RRA provide me a detailed report of what they find - I work in manufacturing and understand that things can slip past a quality control inspector, but I am far less tolerant on allowing a precision tool that one may stake their life on to get out the door - unacceptable...
11 years 9 months ago #11732

Update: Rock River customer service confirmed they received the rifle last Wednesday and would have a tech assigned to it immediately. Turn-around times were said to range from same-day to "weeks" depending on the issue. I remain impressed by RRA's response and am really interested to find out what the issue is... On another note, I hit the range with my Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Same ammo mix the "Elite Operator" choked with zero malfunctions - as usual!
11 years 9 months ago #11756

Received the following response from RRA today regarding my rifles' issues - "The ejector spring was stuck in the bolt and the extractor spring was also providing some problems. In testing, they also got some bolt bounce (cycling too quickly and rebounding off the buffer before taking the full rearward stroke into the receiver extension with it) so they replaced the LAR-8 CAR buffer with an LAR-18 H3 (three tungsten weights to slow the action and increase the lock time) CAR buffer." OK, so did I receive the first prototype LAR8 Elite Operator???
11 years 9 months ago #11784

I understand the frustration - dropping major coin on a rifle and having problems with it right out of the gate. But RRA seems to be doing the right things for you by being responsive to your requests and keeping you in the net as far as what they're doing to your rifle.
RLTW
11 years 9 months ago #11809

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!