Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

RRA LAR-8

• Thank you received: 0

RRA LAR-8 was created by trimman

Does anyone have much experience with the LAR-8. I know there were issues with mags. I haven't read anything about the reliability with using surplus mags. I have experience with some surplus mags not feeding well in FAL's. Usually a rare situitation.The only real purpose to me in choosing an RRA vs. an Armalite would be the availability of mags at a fair price. Obviously the Armalite would be the hands down choice if there were no issue but reliability and experience.All my friends shoot the Armalite's so any info would be helpful.
15 years 1 month ago #1209

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re:RRA LAR-8

This is my opinion and that's all this is. So take it for what it's worth, but do more research on it too.

Why would you want a rifle that has had a history of bad problems?

RRA originaly designed it, Bushmaster built it, Bushmaster dropped it, RRA is trying to iron out the problems and push it back out again.

So you polish a turd, it looks nice, but it's still a turd.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
15 years 4 weeks ago #1228

Replied by trimman on topic Re:RRA LAR-8

Once a turd, always a turd. It will always have some smell. I will stick with the FAL when using those mags. A proven rifle indeed! The Armalite is nice but pricey. My Imbel reciever FAL has always done the job at less the price. Always a cold bore 1/4 moa,and always 1.5" all day long on Aussie ammo. Parts are readily available and it is better balanced to me than the AR 10. Thanks for the wake-up call!
15 years 4 weeks ago #1235

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:RRA LAR-8

Well, I've got two of the new LAR-8's and while I don't have thousands of rounds through them.......yet, I can say that I have had zero functioning problems with them and both are sub-moa shooter's. The first one is a mid-length 16" barrel model and my other one is a Varmint model with the 26" barrel.

I've shot the 16" in a competition where I shot 350 rounds through it in a matter of 20 minutes. I also had my suppressor on it and it kept on ticking.

The Varmint is new and I have maybe 50 rounds thus far, but so far so good.

The only issue I have had is that some of my old beat up FAL magazines, don't fit the mag well very well.

I think Bushy messed this one up and Rock River has gotten it right. But, time will tell.
14 years 11 months ago #1380

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:RRA LAR-8

Keep us posted, personally I'm curious. I almost bought one, but after doing the research, I found that they were a parts assembly company not a manufacturer, maybe that has changed. I'ld like to know. Anyway welcome to the AR world.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 11 months ago #1381

Will do. I've been shooting AR15's for a long time and have found Rock River's products to be top notch. I'm somewhat new to .308 AR types. I've had a DPMS and Armalite .308. The DPMS was a piece of junk, constantly jamming, FTE, FTF, etc. However, it was very accurate, when it worked. The Armalite, which is the A4 model, has functioned fine, but accuracy is just not there.

These two RRA's have outshined the DPMS and Armalite thus far. But, it's still too early for me to have 100% confidence in them. I'm almost to the 1000 round mark with the mid length model, and I am very pleased with its performance so far.

I'll continue to report back on how these Rock Rivers shoot.

Here's a picture of them both. I'm waiting on a Nightforce Scope and mount for the Varmint model.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

14 years 11 months ago #1382

I was able to get out and shoot the LAR-8 Varmint and mid-length over the weekend. I just goofed around with the mid-length and just shot surplus through it. I had purchased a Trijicon 3.5x ACOG scope with .308 ballistic reticle, so I got it all sighted in and then proceeded to have a great time banging steel out to 550 yards with it! I didn't have one issue with it.

My main point in going to the range this last weekend though was to test some loads in the LAR-8 Varmint and I got some excellent results! Every round fed fine. I had no failures of any kind.

Temp = 77 F
Elevation = 2500
RH = 27%
Baro = 27.12 (station)
Distance = 100 meters (110 yards)

Here's a load using 155 gr. Lapua Scenars:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
155 gr. Lapua Scenar
RL-15 44.5 gr

Here's a load with 175 gr Sierra Match Kings:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
175 gr. SMK
RL-15 43.5 gr

This one was the best:

Winchester Case
Fed 210M primer
Nosler 180 gr. Ballistic Tip
RL-15 42.5 gr.
AVG. = 2624 FPS
SD: 15 FPS
ES: 39 FPS

Looks like the Noslers are the winner! I only had 5 rounds, and all went into the same hole, as you can see in the picture. Hopefully I can get out and test this load at further distances soon.

Devin
14 years 11 months ago #1464

Update:

Went to the range on Saturday May 30th to try some more of the 180 gr. Noslers. I was able to produce a 1.5 inch group at 300 meters. I was also able to repeat the same 100 meter group that you see in my previous post. After shooting at some steel at the 400 and 500 meter banks, I then came back to the 100 meter target. My groups opened up! I was very dissapointed, until I noticed that I had inadvertantly loaded up some brass that had been primed with a standard Winchester LR primer, instead of the Federal Match that I had been using.

So I will load some more up with the match primers and see what happens. Next range trip I'm going to try getting out to 1000 yards.
14 years 11 months ago #1504

Replied by Blaznhale on topic Re:RRA LAR-8

$900 good accuracy (1.5 in) with monarch cheap a$$
romanian ammo($9.75 box) only 1 mag failer, ($12.75)metric surplus,
inch works fine. How much did you pay for your gun and mags.
14 years 10 months ago #1568

I got both of mine for a bit below suggested retail. Not as good as you did though. Do you have the mid-length version?

Accuracy out of both of mine is very good, with the best groups coming from the Varmint model.

I can find FAL magazines around here for anywhere between $5 to $20. The $5 mags are starting to dry up, so anymore they range between $10 and $20. There' one idiot store here in town trying to sell some for $40. He's had them for probably 2 years now.
14 years 10 months ago #1572

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!