Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Leapers UTG 3-12X44

• Thank you received: 0

Leapers UTG 3-12X44 was created by wvfalcon

Just put a new scope on my HP. It is a very inexpensive product but looks like it will do the job.

OK let me take a few seconds and give this scope an honest review. I am a quality manager for an aerospace company so my attention to detail is finely honed.
- First off Optics Planet has great customer service. They are currently out of stock with the first scope I ordered but sent me an E-mail suggestion that I may consider this one. I took them up on the offer, $94.00 free shipping!
- The packaging the scope came in was secure and packaged well. No damage to the shipping container…
- I examined the form / fit / function of the scope and found zero defects. No blemishes in the finish, no burs on machined metal parts, the lens covers fit snug and the recital is level and straight.
- Read the directions and they seemed through and complete. On a down note the print could be a little larger; even though I have 20/20 the print is still to small for effortless reading. In addition the Range finder card is a waste of print. I’ll use my loop to read it later.
- This scope came with a set of rings. I would recommend in the future that the rings can be a choice option. I installed this on my LAR and the scope eye piece is very close to the charging handle making loading difficult. I will have to buy a “high” set this week.
- The rings that come with it are pretty nice, seem well made.
- All of the adjustments that operate the scope are smooth and expensive feeling. The electronics are easy touch and easier to operate than my Halo Sight… I'm not sure I will use the multi color function bit it does work.
- This scope sure does suck in the light. Got it mounted after dark but did scope out the neighbourhood using street lights. It is amazing how well one can see what would otherwise be in the dark with other scopes.
- Big negative---- This scope is made in China. I wish an American company would make this scope for the same money.
- Plan on shooting after new mounts arrive and will post how this baby holds zero.
11 years 6 months ago #12593

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Leapers UTG 3-12X44

If you like your scope in the low position you can get latches for the charging handle that will make it easy to operate in that configuration. If I remember right mine is from Badger Ordnance and installed it on an extra charging handle, it is working great for my low mounted scope. It is a bit cheaper than a set of quality rings as well.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 6 months ago #12597

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Leapers UTG 3-12X44

When you take your new scope to the range, here are a couple of things to look for when evaluating your new scope:

Clarity - Is the reticle sharply defined at all mag levels? Are the edges of the scope view sharply defined or fuzzy?

Distortion - Are images in the scope clear or distorted? look not only at the target but around it as well. Sometimes there are "flat spots" on the lenses that create a localized distortion.

Tint - Depending on the quality of the glass, the lens coatings can sometimes create a tint, kinda like a filter on a camera lens. Blue, green and yellow are the most common.

Tracking - Check tracking with the box test. Clicks should be both tactile and audible.

Enjoy your new scope.
RLTW
Last edit: 11 years 6 months ago by LebbenB.
11 years 6 months ago #12612

Replied by wvfalcon on topic Re: Leapers UTG 3-12X44

Ordered the tactical charging handle release like you suggested. Thanks for the tip...
11 years 5 months ago #12633

Replied by wvfalcon on topic Re: Leapers UTG 3-12X44

Made it to the range today. The scope was very easy to dial in. I was shooting two feet high to start with but once on the paper it took no time to zero. The scope is clear. Easy to operate. No glare. Holds zero very well. I like the zero lock feature. Field of view was outstanding. Looks sexy on the gun. One complaint. It could be just me but I have a dificult time turning the scope off. Pushi g the top buttons at the same time is how you do it but it takes me a few try's .
11 years 5 months ago #12939

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!