Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

• Thank you received: 216

Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint. was created by Libertarian623

Well packed up and headed to the range for a long day in the sun. Brought along federal 150 gr ball ammo 80 rounds, and 25 rds of 175 grain match ammo. Got to the range and they said the 600 yard range was closed for maintenance. Bummer. Well started on the 50yd line, to get on paper, shot 1 rd, then 2, then 3, ran a patch through after each, doing good nothing out of the ordinary, then some doubles, on paper. Then went to the 100yd line, and started shooting groups of three. By the third group the gun was shooting 1moa. At about that time I realized I was not up to the task, I have not been doing any long range serious shooting in a long time. The gun was shooting 1moa even when I felt I pulled the shot. So zeroed with the 150gr and decided to work on some basics while getting used to the rifles impulse. I worked on grip, trigger squeeze, eye relief, follow through, and so on. What went well was the rifle it had zero problems (flawless operation). I like the impulse of the recoil (nice slow straight push), easy to keep on target. Even at the fifty yard line was able to see the first few bullet strikes through the scope (on the sand berm) to get on paper. That's saying a lot, this is a rock steady platform for precision shooting. The Nikon scope (M-308)with factory mount was everything I had hoped for, very clear and bright. Before leaving I zeroed the 45 degree offset BUIS, I shot 20 rounds at 100yd with these and able to transition back and forth and shoot offhand. I really like those BUIS. All in all everything performed great no hiccups. Now if I can just get my ass up to the task. Can't wait until next weekend for the next outing. I am going to stay with the Fed 150gr ball until I feel it would be worth the expense of shooting the higher priced match ammo, right now it would be a waste. Great day to be a American.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 10 months ago #23574

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

:twothumbs: :twothumbs: Excellent! Good idea retraining your muscle memory with the 150 gr stuff. I didn't last week and my groups were nothing to write home about to start. I had to get back in the groove. These 308 AR's, particularly the Rock River and the Armalite, are more accurate than I can currently take advantage of. After nine months of waiting, you deserve a few more days like this.
Save Your brass!
When I use the high visibility bullet strikes targets, I can see my shot placement with the Nikon out to 200 meters quite easily.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Siscowet.
10 years 10 months ago #23576

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

Good report and sounds like a good day.

Like you I too need to work on my shooting. Cannot do much about the old eyeballs but can work on my procedures. I look back on when I was younger and I was a good shot, no, a GREAT shot. My hunting buddies were truly jealous of my ability to put lead on target be it pistol or rifle. I never really knew why I was such a good shot until later in life when I learned more about shooting techniques.

Before I was old enough to drive anything other than the ranch truck or the Ford tractor I would spent many days in the spring and early summer out at the sheds, barn and out buildings killing wasps. In my early attempts the wasps mostly won the battles till I got to the point that a wasp/yellow jacket sting did not even raise a whelp anymore. Then I hit upon an idea.

I would have mom make me some lunch and I would get a cooler of coke, lawn chair and head to the barn. There I would sit and while away the afternoon killing wasps with my old trusty Daisy Red Ryder, yep, a BB gun. Shooting wasps is not easy, but I had time on my hands and there was a certain joy in killing them one by one and they not knowing from where it came.

And that is what I suspect made me such a good shot in my youth, certainly was not natural ability I am sure...
10 years 10 months ago #23581

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

Sis - Good idea about the targets, I will get some for next week.

Cowboy- I did the same with lizards when I would visit my grandparents in Florida. All hale the Red Rider.
10 years 10 months ago #23582

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

A guy could get good with a Red Ryder if he put enough BB's thru it. I got to where I could hit a bird on a fence at 175' +/- about 10'. There was a tall fence about 175' away by tape measure and it drew birds like moths to a flame at it was a 8' tall fence. I could nail them regular and a head shot was a kill shot even at that distance.
10 years 10 months ago #23606

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint.

I used one in the spring and summer to feed the farm cats for years in my childhood. The cats would come running when they heard the rattle of BB's in my Red Ryder.
Lib, fine looking rifle! I'm anxious to hear how the 175's perform for you. At 100 yards in my AR-10 I get better groups from standard NATO ball than any over the counter 175 SMK's. I hope to maybe find the sweet spot for them with some reloads but getting enough 175 SMK's to do a good broad spectrum work-up has been challenging of late.
I gave my nephew a set of the 45 degree BUIS sights for his AR-15 and he shoots better groups with them than the red dot he has on top. Wish my eyes would still give me the same sight picture they did when I used that Red Ryder so they would work for me!
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 10 months ago #23607

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!