Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

• Thank you received: 216

Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II. was created by Libertarian623

Last weekend while at bass pro shop, I got a opportunity to pick up a assortment of rounds for testing. I just got back from the range and am excited about the results. The Remington 180 core-loc was terrible averaged 2.5 moa for 3 , 3 shot groups at 100m. Next tested some federal premium 180gr nosler partition, at the 100m range they where coming in at just under 1moa so went over to the long range, at 200 they where at just under 2", then I went to 300m I settled in and short a really nice 5 shot group in less than 2", I was really happy with it, with the exception of one flier it would have been under 1 inch. If you need a photo as proof I can post later but I have been up for about for 36 hours and am going to cut it short. I have found the round, wish I had a thousand of em. :dance: I also got some Hornady AMAX but have not yet tested them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 7 months ago #27313

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

Nice Lib, you have the 1 in 10". 26" barrel don' t you? You can shoot that heavier bullet and get those kind of results. Congrats.
10 years 7 months ago #27314

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

Glad you found the right round so soon. What was the weather like? And what sort of optic were you using?
RLTW
10 years 7 months ago #27315

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

If you're shooting that well on that little sleep then you'll really kill it when you're fresh!
I'll bet you'll find several rounds that will shoot well out of that rifle, I've heard nothing but good things on the AMAX bullets.
Are you testing strictly hunting bullets or are you going to give the SMK's a try?
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #27316

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

Good Morning
Sis- That's right it is the 1 in 10 twist barrel, I hope I can get a large amount of them.
Leb - Weather was 64F, constant drizzle, no wind. The scope is a Nikon M-308 4-16 power with the 800BDC. I was shooting from a covered bench with three sand bags two under the rail and trying to use one like a palm bag which really didn't seem to work that great at the time ( I need to pick on of those nice leather ones from midway). I think I will order about 300 rounds for a up coming tactical match and use them, but I defiantly want to try some of the AMAX series and see how they will due.
JT- I think the lack of sleep may have helped , with the drizzle going I was probably half way there. I am going to try the SMK's for sure, just going to use the patitions on coyotes soon.
Next weekend I will push out to 600m if I can get the ammo, its 50 days til the match and I have a lot of notes to take before then, they plan on having targets to 650m and some will be movers, weak side unsupported and other tricky shots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 7 months ago #27322

Keep up with the forearm and wrist strengthening exercises. They help with those weak side and unsupported shots.
10 years 7 months ago #27323

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

Photo, back in a hour

(fixed it for ya. Next time, after you load the photo, look for the insert button that will appear after it has loaded and then hit it. You should be good after that Lib. Sharkey... :wave: )
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Sharkey.
10 years 7 months ago #27328

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

:thumbs: Nice!
10 years 7 months ago #27329

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Range report Rock River LAR-8 varmint II.

Nice group Lib... :thumbs: :thumbs:
10 years 7 months ago #27330

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!