Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

1st Annual Michigan Steel Challenge

• Thank you received: 216

1st Annual Michigan Steel Challenge was created by Libertarian623

1st Annual Michigan Steel Challenge
Competition Report
WOW.........
This was my first foray into competitive rifle shooting in over 25 years. Boy how things change. Shooting steel is where its at gentleman, there is no more gratifying sound in the shooting sports than lead hitting steel (thaaawack). Or more precisely the sound of a 180gr bullet at 2700FPS colliding with a steel target 600meters away coming back to you after a long pause. We are less than 24hours after the shoot and the memories are still very vivid. I can say that to a man everyone had a great time, thanks to the work of a few good men. If any are reading thank you one and all well done gentlemen. The match directors went out of there way to ensure all the new shooters where welcomed to the sport. The RO's where great. The courses of fire where just where they should have been as far a difficulty(very creative). The creativity defiantly increased the COOl factor of the shoot. I will post more on this in the MO area.
I had the unique experience of being they only entry that was shooting a semi-auto (Rock River Arms LAR8 26"). I have to stop here and thank the others shooters, not a single one slammed me for bringing a semi to a bolt gun shoot. The director did comment saying that it bore resemblance to a oil refinery ( I do go heavy on the oil). But other than that nata. Also the factory hunting ammo raised a few eyebrows. But as the match started I was able to make the 350m cold bore to 1moa shot and things started off good. My best stages where the first and last one (One shy of perfect). In between not so much mostly mental errors that new shooters are know for (really need to file a come up mark into my Nikon scope elevation turret) also dealt with short comings of new equipment. Overall the Rifle was the true champ, not a single hiccup, shoots way better than I can (that will be fixed over the next year)thanks Rock River. If you can't tell I'm a convert to the church of steel target shooting. Right now I gotta go eat lunch and make a extensive (really expensive) shopping list. If the wife only knew she would be hiding all the cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 6 months ago #29315

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic 1st Annual Michigan Steel Challenge

:thumbs: Lib glad you had a great time. The people who put those things on deserve a lot of credit. You are right about the sound of steel. Happy for you Bro.
10 years 6 months ago #29318

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic 1st Annual Michigan Steel Challenge

Thanks Sis, I would encourage everyone to give it a try. I will be going back next year with serious intent. I really feel my rifle has a lot more accuracy in it, and with some hand loads and maybe a mildot scope who knows. As I said the last stage I shot 8 of 9 targets. Also I have a 1000yd range about a hour away and a 600 yd about 15 minutes away. I talked to a lot of shooters that shoot 1-2k rounds per year and a couple that shoot way more. So I know what I need to do no excuses.
10 years 6 months ago #29320

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!