Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

FAL Mags

• Thank you received: 0

FAL Mags was created by rgramjet

Bought 10 20 rd mags for the LAR8. The rifle is supposed to be compatible with both inch and metric mags.

When I insert an FAL magazine, it gets stuck. The mag release is engaged and I have to separate the two halves to get the mag back out. I used a caliper to check all the measurements and the only thing I can come up with is the detent on the upper right of the mag rear. On the stock mag the detent is down low. On all the others, its midway or higher.

What is an acceptable way to fill in the small detent on the FAL mags and grind in a new one in the appropriate location? JB weld? Have a welder fill and grind it?

Thanks in advance!
15 years 6 months ago #378

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by bigwheel on topic Re:FAL Mags

I would contact LAR first and get it right from the horses mouth. It always amazes me how finicky
magazines are.
15 years 6 months ago #379

Replied by rgramjet on topic Re:FAL Mags

I spoke with Rock River Arms yesterday. The tech explained that FAL mags have very loose tolerances. Sometimes they need to be "tweaked".

From what I can tell, the mag not seating properly is a function of the detent. Think I might experiment with the epoxy before taking them to a welder. I would like to make sure its something simple. Will post my results.
15 years 6 months ago #380

Replied by Blaznhale on topic Re:FAL Mags

I bought 3 mags...2 in pattern..1 Metric. Inch seems to function better, had to file to fit the metric.
15 years 6 months ago #403

Replied by rgramjet on topic Re:FAL Mags

I went through the ten mags. With some "form fitting" and judicious application of a rubber mallet, I was able to get 2 of the mags to function as well as the stock mag.

The others I can get to release without having to take apart the rifle. Thats a good thing. Ill wait for a rainy day to get them working.

Seems like the newer "looking" ones may have several layers of paint which makes them extra tight.
15 years 6 months ago #410

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!