Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

First one out

• Thank you received: 0

First one out was created by wielywilly-g

I have been experimenting with the first shot out a little. This is done with me best shooting ammo, fed GMM 175. I sighted in at 70 deg 109y and it was .58 MOA groups centered on the bullseye. One day at 95 deg and high humidity shot one shot and it was 1.5" high the rest settling right in there. Another hot day a single shot out was 3/4" right and 1/4" high. Now I am going to try to do several revs of one shot a day and see where it is. I suspect it is the cheesy bipod settling in after the first shot, but don't know. I have gone to great lengths to be sure it is not the base, rings or optics by getting the best I could afford (Badger and Schmidt&Bender PMII). I have a magpul PRS stock and and Accushot Mono pod so the cross hair sight picture is rock solid on when it goes off. The bipod is Caldwell swivel type and the swivel is pretty loose even with the knob tightened as hard as I can by hand. I don't have a level on it but at 109y I don't think my guess at level could make my POI more than .25" off.
Anyone else feel first shot out accuacy is vital? I shoot varmints not bad guys, so it is not a vital to me as some...lol. Still, I want it. Anyone have suggestions or ideas to try to improve first shot out?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by wielywilly-g.
13 years 9 months ago #4920

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by timk on topic Re:First one out

My Armalite AR-10, with the 20" heavy Armalite barrrel consistently shoots the first cold shot 1" to the left and 2" high at 100 yards. Then it will print shots 2-5 into 3/4". If anyone responds to solve this problem, please forward me the solution.
timk
13 years 6 months ago #5800

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:First one out

There is a new train of thought out there that the first cold bore shot should actually be renamed to first cold shooter shot.

What this means is that your rifle is not throwing the first shot, but rather you are. The thought process behind this is that the parts of your rifle really don't change, but you do. You get more comfortable with the recoil and rifle placement on your body as you shoot more.

I am starting to believe in this new way of thinking. I've done a lot of testing with my rifles lately trying to see if the rifle itself throws the shot or if it is me. I'm believing that it is me or that I've just got super good rifle that don't throw first shots. But they have thrown a first shot, if I'm not in the right frame of mine before I pull that trigger.

For example my recent post on "Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint shoot great!" shows the 10 shot target that I shot. The first shot out was a cold, clean bore shot. You can't see that shot on the paper, because its been surrounded by all the other shots. My 9th and 10th shots were actually the furthest out on that group, which opened it up to just over 1/2", otherwise that group would have been much less than 1/2".

You can experiment with this concept in a couple of ways. Try shooting a different rifle first before "accuracy testing" the rifle you want to test. Get the recoil flinch out of your system this way. Try dry firing your rifle a couple of times before firing your first shot. Get use to the trigger pull this way.

I have found that all of my bolt guns and now this LAR-8 do not throw the first shot at all. My mind has the utmost confidence in this and I rarely throw a first shot anymore. I've been in numorous competitions where they have you do a cold bore shot for your first shot of the day and I rarely miss now.

Give it a try and let me know what you find.
13 years 5 months ago #5902

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Re:First one out

I agree with Edge. Normally, your first shot is after your heart rate has been increased from setting out targets, getting your rifle out of it's case, setting up your bench with spotting scopes, ammo, etc. After the first shot, you start relaxing more, your heart rate slows because you've been sitting/lying longer, etc.

Another option to see if it's your rifle or you throwing the first shot, is to lock your rifle in a vice, use a remote trigger mechanism to fire the rifle and see if your first shot isn't exactly like your later shots.

Jer
13 years 4 months ago #6143

Replied by wielywilly-g on topic Re:First one out

I have been shooting precision for 35 years and it doesn't happen on any of my other rifles. I am very careful to calm down, control breathing, and fall into dead zone before the squeeze goes off. I used the same technique when I shot open class archery and competed at the IBO world chapionships back in the 90's.

I recently put an advance half quad rail and an Accushot Atlas bipod on it to replace the cheesy stud mount bipod. I believe/hope the problem was the old bipod and will no longer exist. I will post the results when I get them. I expect the first shot problem will be a thing of the past.

If I still have the problem Jer, I will do like you suggest. I have a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT I will mount it in and I will make a jig to pull the trigger with the shooter out of the picture.
13 years 4 months ago #6144

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!