Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Blindshot on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

6.5 Creedmoor maybe ?
12 years 3 months ago #9973

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

:whistle: ;)
12 years 3 months ago #9974

Replied by Hoot on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

What RRA doesn't want you to know is that DPMS barrels work on their rifles. I have the 24" 260 Remington barrel on my Predator HP. Headspaced perfectly. feedramp lined up to the receiver perfectly. You have to use their polymer mags for it since the FAL mags, both metric and inch do not like the narrower neck. Their bolt carrier is heavier and I had to open the gas port a few mils. I imagine a DPMS 6.5 Creedmoor or .338 Federal would work as well. Add to those RRA's .243 and 7mm-08 and you can switch barrel everything from soup to nuts. ;)

Hoot
12 years 2 months ago #10201

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

Hmm, I may have to look into that. I wonder if most barrels are interchangable between makers? I would be surprised if they were. Thanks for the tip!

I went out today on my lunch break and shot the LAR-8 Varmint again. It's stays true to form:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

12 years 2 months ago #10234

Replied by Hoot on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

My Predator HP with the .308 barrel really likes 168gr Hornady Amax over 41.7gr AR-Comp seated to 2.82. It consistently shoots 5-shot 100 yd groups like this with that load:

Most AR 7.62 brands have some unique components, or at least that's what they say. I know from the 308AR.com forums that the Armalite barrels have a barrel extension just a touch longer than the LR-308 upper receiver wants to see. It protrudes just enough into the receiver as to cause a small lip at the feedramps. Not sure what other issues arise from using it though. I've also read the three brands have different barrel nut threads. It would take a collaborative effort to try all the possible combinations of parts to gain better insight into just what actually works and which do not play well together.

Hoot
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by Hoot.
12 years 2 months ago #10235

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by kennedjt on topic Re: Wow, does my LAR-8 Varmint (26") shoot good!

I've recently purchased the RRA LAR-8 26" Varmint as well and it does shoot great (better than me). I've added a Vortex 6-24X50 Viper PST FFP EBR-1 MOA scope and a Vortex Sparc red dot on a 1 o'clock Daniel Defense rail. So far I have been very impressed with both the rifle and the scope. I'm looking forward to testing it at longer distances but at 100 yards it's driving tacks!
12 years 1 month ago #10700

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!