Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Barrel Length Opinions Needed

• Thank you received: 556

Barrel Length Opinions Needed was created by jtallen83

In about a month I will have enough saved enough to make my next weapons purchase. So far I've decided on a Sig P516 despite my lack of satisfaction with the customer service on my P938 I just got. I have always wanted an SBR and this may be as close as I'll ever get. My main consternation involves whether I should go for the shorty with the 7.5 inch barrel or the longer 10 inch barrel? I understand the velocity issue, that doesn't bother me at all. My main concern is reliability, does it make a difference with Sigs push rod design? Is there another brand I should consider that could be fitted with the same "stabilizing brace"? What spare parts would you want on hand for this "pistol"? Would some sort of compensator make any difference on the short barrel length or should I stick with my usual opinion that flash suppression is more important, I see this as more of a SD weapon that would primarily be used in the dark and inside. My research to date has convinced me that the pushrod design is needed for a pistol size AR but I've found very little info on comparisons of what is available in the market right now for pistol sized AR's. It is a healthy investment for me so I'm very interested in any advice from my friends here on AR-10T.COM. if Armalite made an AR pistol I would go for it but as far as I know there isn't one available. :(
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 7 months ago #28170

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

The only reliability issues I'm aware of with the 516 is that it prefers hotter ammo to work reliably. This issue was first addressed by Sisco from another thread some time ago.

Piston AR systems are proprietary at this point, there is no standard as with a DI AR. When it comes to spare parts for the Sig (Their system is very close to LWRCi's, so much so that LWRCi sued them) the only high wear part is the return spring on the op rod and it's a flat wire design that should last a very long time.
RLTW
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by LebbenB. Reason: Additional Info
10 years 7 months ago #28172

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

My experience, which aint too much, is that anything shorter than standard needs work to run. I don't want you to be discouraged from your project, but when anybody says SBR/Pistol AR, I say be ready to do some tweaking. Usually a full assortment of buffers & springs are called for, possibly some tweaking of the gas flow. It can be done, just be ready for the possibility that it will take work to get there.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
10 years 7 months ago #28182

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

Sounds like a good reloading project looking for something on the "hotter" side. My plan was to get the 62gr? LC green tips for a start.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #28215

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

Sig is a big company, so is Toyota and GM, all of them have made stuff and a few years later stopped and parts are HARD to come by.

If this is a high dollar investment you may want to look hard before you buy or it could become nothing by a boat paddle somewhere down the road...no shortage of those now from guns to cars to a lot of other products...
10 years 7 months ago #28269

I have thought hard, hence my question about spare parts. If I could find a DI AR platform pistol that got even halfway decent reliability reviews I might go that route..........maybe I should consider an AK type pistol but then that doesn't fit the logistics plan, got no stash ammo for that...........
So far the Sig P516 with brace appears to be the best option for something "like" an SBR that will be legal for me to carry around on the road, in most states anyway............If it turns into a boat paddle I'll have something close to back it up, back-up plans for back-up plans are a must, then there is always plan B after that! :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #28283

• Thank you received: 99

Replied by 10-76 on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

I have looked into the SIG line myself, and here is what I found: There is uncertainty out there as to swapping barrels for an aftermarket preference, if you find some operational problems.

Check into the Aresenal SLR 106U: an AK platform SBR that runs 556. Can be had for less than $800, but mags are uncertain.

I found the P516 with 10" for $1625. SBR paperwork needed I believe.

P556SB for $1200 something, but no SBR paperwork.

Need a link to the Arsenal shoot me a PM...
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by 10-76.
10 years 7 months ago #28426

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

I have an Arsenal rifle. Best quality of all the AK derivatives in my opinion.
10 years 7 months ago #28450

I really want to avoid any paperwork, the P516 with "brace" does that;
www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/ATF-Compliant-Letter.pdf

As long as I do not alter anything I will have something very close to a SBR without paperwork. An AK platform would need paperwork to get the same capability.
If I understand what I have read correctly the "brace" can be used without paperwork as long as the buffer tube it is installed on is required and part of the original weapons design.
So far I feel most comfortable with the Sig as far as not having a problem with NFA paperwork, I will not alter the weapon from the original configuration, that should work, for now anyway, I'm betting the Libs will get wind of it and write new rules soon.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #28460

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Barrel Length Opinions Needed

The shorter you go, the more work needs do one for them to operate properly.
10.5" is the shortest I would go with .223
There are companies that sell short barrel uppers that work. Going to change my lower receiver next week on my 9mm pistol. And that Sig brace contraption is completely worthless and un-needed. Use a single point sling, and tension outward, to simply place the end of the buffer tube in the shoulder.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
10 years 7 months ago #28472

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!