Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

• Thank you received: 529

5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol was created by OleCowboy

5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 will be the next service pistol
by Caleb • December 19, 2014

Yesterday, much to the joy of Beretta fanboys (like me) Beretta USA announced the latest update to the venerable M9 pistol line, the M9A3. This pistol represents Beretta’s answer to the requirements for the Army’s proposed Modular Handgun System (or whatever they’re calling it this time around) and I am willing to bet that the Beretta M9A3 will absolutely be our nation’s next service pistol. But first, here’s what Beretta has to say about the new gun:

M9A3-b1

After delivering over 600,000 M9 pistols to the DOD and on the heels of being awarded a new contract for up to 100,000 M9s, Beretta USA announced today the presentation of the M9A3 to the US Army. The M9A3 introduces major improvements to the M9 that will increase the operational effectiveness and operational suitability of the weapon. The improvements include design and material enhancements resulting in increased modularity, reliability, durability, and ergonomics. They are being submitted via an Engineering Change Proposal (ECP) in accordance with the terms of the current M9 contract.

Made in the U.S.A. by an American workforce since 1987, the M9 has been the sidearm of the U.S. Armed Forces for nearly 30 years; serving with U.S. service men and women in training and combat operations throughout the world. The M9A3 is designed for the next 30 years – delivering 21st century capability and features while increasing usability and reliability.

“The M9A3 represents the next generation military handgun utilizing the best of the legacy M9 combined with proven COTS modifications that increase performance and durability” stated Gabriele de Plano, Vice President of Military Marketing and Sales for Beretta USA. Mr. de Plano added, “After listening closely to the needs of U.S. Army and other Service small arms representatives, we determined the M9, much like its counterpart legacy weapon systems (M4, M16, M240, etc.), was capable of being upgraded through material and design changes. The resulting M9A3 we are offering to the DOD will likely cost less than the current M9 and answer almost all of the Services’ enhanced handgun requirements.”

The M9A3 features a thin grip with a removable, modular wrap-around grip, MIL-STD-1913 accessory rail, removable front and rear tritium sights, extended and threaded barrel for suppressor use, 17-round sand resistant magazine, and numerous improved small components to increase durability and ergonomics, all in an earth tone finish.

“Furthermore, the M9A3 benefits from having a law enforcement and commercial variant that will be launched at S.H.O.T. Show 2015 in Las Vegas, NV” stated Rafe Bennett, Vice President of Product Marketing for Beretta USA. Mr. Bennett added, “The M9A3 offered to the DOD is the exact gun that consumers will be able to purchase in the second quarter of 2015.”

The M9A3 follows on the heels of Beretta and Wilson Combat’s collaboration, and represents a lot of the features that end users have been asking for in their Beretta pistols. The backstrap will allow users to switch from a traditional Beretta profile grip to the smaller and easier to manage Vertec style, the sights are replaceable, and the safety is convertable to a G-style decock only model. With this feature set, here are five reasons why the Beretta M9A3 is going to be the US service pistol for a long time.

1. Money
Hey, did you know that the military is currently undergoing all kinds of budget cuts? The Air Force (for example) by the end of FY 2015 will be at its smallest size since its creation in 1947, the Army is cutting costs wherever it can (despite getting new uniforms) so when Beretta presents a solution to the DoD’s desire for a new toy that doesn’t involve wholesale replacement of holsters, magazines, and small parts, the odds are that they’re going to go for it. Unless Sig nails the baksheesh.

2. Seriously, the money
Beretta did a smart thing: they submitted the M9A3 to the Army as an ECP, and engineering change proposal. What that means is that the M9A3 is part of the existing M9 contract now, assuming that the DoD accepts the ECP, which they will because follow the money.

In the Modular Handgun System proposal, the Army asked for a certain set of features on the new gun. The M9A3 has all of those features, which means that some bean counter in the Pentagon is going to look at this ECP vs the cost of an entire new handgun and go “well, this is a no-brainer.” Essentially, the M9A3 is presented to the Army as fait accompli by Beretta. “Oh, you want all these features in a gun? No problem Holmes, let’s just make that for you as part of the existing contract.”

3. We are not going away from 9mm any time soon
There are entire graveyards full of dudes that have been killed with 9mm ball ammo. Despite what the Warriors of the Keys will tell you, we don’t really need to switch up to .40 or .45, because in the FMJ form our line troops would be required to use, they still suck. To get serious though, we’re not ditching the NATO standard round any time soon. Everyone uses 9mm, and we are going to keep using 9mm as long as we’re the Big Kid at the North Atlantic Treaty Table.

If anything, the trend in rounds is towards smaller rounds. It wouldn’t surprise me if when I’m getting ready to retire in 30 years for the military to be issuing pistols that fire 5mm tungsten core beads to pierce power armor or something.

4. The M9 is fine
The big problem with the M9 (and the M4) isn’t the gun. It’s the way the military trains people to “maintain” their weapons. But that’s a post for another time. Fastidious attention to cleanliness at the expense of lubrication isn’t good for guns.

5. Logistics
All those mags. All those small parts.

www.gunnuts.net/2014/12/19/5-reasons-the...next-service-pistol/
9 years 3 months ago #43756

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

I am putting my money on some version of the Sig Sauer in 45ACP.
Probably a variation of the P227, one of which is my next pistol purchase.
9 years 3 months ago #43757

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

I'm betting they stick with the 9mm. I'm biased but the P226 MK25 would get my vote. It's a natural shooter, you can beat it and neglect it but it just keeps running. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 months ago #43760

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

I bought a Beretta in 87, it was my first handgun I bought myself. I don't rely on it for anything other than holding papers down on the desk. I like the mods Beretta made but still consider it a poor choice.
9 years 3 months ago #43761

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

:twocents:
They shoulda went with the HKP7 in the first place...it outclassed all the competitors.

Why didn't it make it? The Army felt it's unusual operation would confuse the soldiers.
Way to go, Army. Infer your own soldiers are too stupid to learn a new, simple operating system.

Let's review the P7...
- Squeeze the grip lever: Safety Off. (This also has the function of releasing the slide if it's locked back).
- Release the grip lever: Safety On.
- Field strip: Three parts; spring, slide, frame-mounted barrel.
- Loaded chamber indicator: Visual and tactile.
Yup, definitely confusing. :rolleyes:

The P7 is arguably the quickest, most accurate handgun ever to be pulled from a holster.
When would that matter? Pretty much every time it's called upon to be a defensive weapon.

<Rant on>
How many iterations of M9 have they gone through to keep it on the battle field?
Where do I start?

How many iterations of P7?
They introduced a 13rd cap version. They added a trigger guard heat insulator. I'm sure, if it had been selected, a rail version would have been introduced.

Not to take anything away from the Beretta, but wasn't one of the criteria that got the 9mm nominated an ability for smaller-handed, less stout of structure soldiers(women) to effectively handle it? WTF?!? Which Star-child(non-combatant General) thought PC had anything to do with killing?!?
Seriously. If you can't use the tools, you shouldn't be a mechanic.
BTW, my wife loves my 1991 and her Kimber, and she's a tiny little thang.

Every time I carry, I have to make a conscious decision whether it's gonna be my 1991 or my P7.
I've never decided to carry an M9 and never will. (Won't find a Glock in my inventory, either).
<Rant off>
:P
9 years 3 months ago #43762

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Ranchwagon on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

Perhaps it is just because I'm a geezer now, but I still believe in the old .45ACP. A good model 1911 is extremely easy to shoot, highly accurate and are almost indestructible.

Regardless, it still find it a shame the military still buys stuff from foreign manufacturers, even if it has a plant here.
9 years 3 months ago #43763

Replied by OleCowboy on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

EXCUSE ME, HK P7...WHOAAAA, I just did a search on P7 for sale
$5k
$3.5k
$4.2k
$2.6k

www.gunsinternational.com/heckler-koch-pistols.cfm?cat_id=56
9 years 3 months ago #43764

I'm sure much of those prices have to do with it being discontinued some years ago. If the Army had adopted it, they'd be a dollar a dozen...and still in production.
9 years 3 months ago #43767

Having owned my 1991 for decades, I understand the affinity for the 1911. It just feels right.

The P7 purposely mimicked the grip angle of the 1911.
9 years 3 months ago #43769

Replied by OleCowboy on topic 5 reasons the Beretta M9A3 next service pistol

Beretta Releases M9A3 for Army’s Handgun Upgrade Program
by Mike Hoffman on December 24, 2014 · COMMENTS (7)

Beretta M9A3Beretta unveiled its M9A3 handgun that the company is presenting to the U.S. Army as part of the service’s plan to upgrade its standard issue pistol.

The Army recently awarded Baretta a contract to supply 100,000 more M9s, but this is separate. Thus far, Baretta has produced more than 600,000 for the Defense Department in all.

Army officials have spent five years working on a program to upgrade the service’s handgun called Modular Handgun System, or MHS. Those service leaders said they want to replace or upgrade the M9 with a handgun that provides more accuracy, lethality, reliability and durability.

The M9A3 is Beretta’s submission for the MHS program. Beretta officials maintain that this upgraded model meets the Army’s requirements with upgrades that “include design and material enhancements resulting in increased modularity, reliability, durability, and ergonomics,” according to the Beretta press release.

Improvements over the M9A2 include a “thin grip with a removable, modular wrap-around grip, MIL-STD-1913 accessory rail, removable front and rear tritium sights, extended and threaded barrel for suppressor use, 17-round sand resistant magazine, and numerous improved small components to increase durability and ergonomics, all in an earth tone finish”

“After listening closely to the needs of U.S. Army and other Service small arms representatives, we determined the M9, much like its counterpart legacy weapon systems (M4, M16, M240, etc.), was capable of being upgraded through material and design changes. The resulting M9A3 we are offering to the DOD will likely cost less than the current M9 and answer almost all of the Services’ enhanced handgun requirements,” said Gabriele de Plano, vice president of Military Marketing and Sales for Beretta USA.

Beretta said it would release a commercial version of the pistol at the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s SHOT Show in Las Vegas next month.

Beretta M9A3

Read more: kitup.military.com/2014/12/beretta-relea...n.html#ixzz3MrGNnuEK
Kit Up!
9 years 3 months ago #43831

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!