Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Need a Shotgun to work with weak grip

• Thank you received: 556

Need a Shotgun to work with weak grip was created by jtallen83

My Wife has decided if she can't have the AR she wants now, maybe never, she needs a shotgun for bedside self defense. Problem is she has rheumatoid arthritis in her hands and shoulders real bad. her grip is weak at best. She held one of those short things with the chainsaw handle at a gun show and thought she liked it as far as ease of grip went. I'm pretty sure I need to go with a semi-auto, the less she has to manipulate the better. She insists that firing from the shoulder is not an option due to the pain it causes. That only leaves the laser option for sighting, as far as I know. I'm thinking a 20 ga. would be best but maybe a 12 ga. that would function reliably with light loads. If it hurts to much I won't get her to practice and that will defeat the whole idea.
Does anyone know of something that even comes close to this criteria? Everything I'm seeing that is close has been a pump, maybe that will have to be.....
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #14709

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Need a Shotgun to work with weak grip

If she likes the AR platform, you might want to look into the Akdal mka 1919. It's got a buffer, configured like a standard AR and has mags that she can use just like a regular AR style rifle. I think one of those with some nice #1 buck-shot would be a pretty scary machine in an intruder type situation in ANYONE's hands.

Otherwise, in a 20 gauge, I might consider one of the Benelli "Ultra-light" series. I believe they are semi autos and if you change the furniture a bit, you will probably be able to make it very comfortable for her but I would look into parts options first.

Other than that buddy, I'll do some looking.

I just wish the ultra-lights would come stock with the M4 styling and then I'd be recommending it all day but again, it could end up being a furniture issue.
11 years 4 months ago #14711

I like the #1 buck for home defense for a few reasons:

it's got 16 pellets

according to federal papers I've read, it has the PERFECT amount of penetration while less apt to travel THRU the assailant and has a tendency to create more traumatic injury and stopping potential

and 3, the recoil is under 30 pounds whereas double 00 is like 36ish I believe.

When it comes to our wives grabbing a weapon for defense, if mine happens to be closest to and reaches for the Benelli, I like knowing that she can handle what's in it easily and it won't be too much of a shock on her as she fires.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 4 months ago #14712

Dunno about the Benelli Ultralight buddy. That is a "recoil operated" system and if she hopes to fire it from the hip, I'm thinking it MAY have a greater tendency to jam due to know having a solid enough base behind it for the bolt throw but I could be wrong.

I WAS looking at the Saigas however and they also come in a 20 gauge version, gas operated like the Akdal but with just a little more weight.

The Akdal is around 7.2 pounds and the Saiga is 7.4 so I'm thinking, if you go this route, you may want to find a place that'll let her handle one of each or something of your own choosing and see how it feels to her.

The good thing about the Akdal, in my mind, would be that it is a familiar design to you and her, is kinda light and comes stock with the configuration she would need to be effective from the hip. I'm sure you can find a saiga with the pistol grip and all but that again, would be up to what she feels she can handle.

I don't believe the Akdal comes in a 20 but with the buffer and light but effective loads, I don't see it being much different than a 20 anyway.

Best I could find for you J.

Hope it helps.
Sharkey
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 4 months ago #14719

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Need a Shotgun to work with weak grip

Thanks for all the info Sharkey! I hope I can find one of those Akdals for her to handle. I hadn't thought about the recoil vs. gas issue, I'm thinking gas will be a must with her weakness. The more I think about it a modified 20 ga. double may be the most reliable thing for her. I've got an old savage .22 mag/ 20ga. double that she gives a "not bad" rating so a double 20 ga. with handles she can grip might be a good option.
Thanks again for all the info! :twothumbs:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 4 months ago #14750

No problem JT. I'm happy to help and love to see guys looking for stuff for their wives anyway.

Here is a link to a double barrel "tactical" (yea, Lebben, I said it) that doesn't look too bad although there is no pistol grip. They also come in a 20 gauge so give it a look.

Good luck
Sharkey
11 years 4 months ago #14752

How goes the hunt JT? I'd be very interested to know what your wife tries out for shotguns and then what she finally decides on.

Has she seen anything she likes yet or are you still looking around and waiting for the holidays to blow over?
11 years 3 months ago #14881

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Need a Shotgun to work with weak grip

She has been to busy with the holidays, we still have three Christmas dinners to make it to or fix!
She seems to like the double twenty idea as long as she can have that "chainsaw" handle on it. There are usually some good gun shows in our area during January so that is when she'll get serious. She did mention that current events be damned she wants that Armalite SPR mid-length ordered, she doesn't want any "knock off"! Whatever ArmaLite is doing with the marketing they have my wife convinced they are the Gucci of guns! So much for the extra AR-10 mags I was going to order............I'll make sure I post when she gets her way, whatever that will be :side:
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 3 months ago #14890

Nothin like a woman getting her mind set on GREAT toys buddy. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what she ends up with. :thumbs:
11 years 3 months ago #14896

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!