Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Favorite Shotgun Ammo for range and defense.

• Thank you received: 17

Replied by Wizard509 on topic Favorite Shotgun Ammo for range and defense.

My SD load is Federal's FliteControl in #1 Buck (LE132-1B) which is described as "Low Recoil" (1,100 FPS).

A review with images of spread patterns can be found here: www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

Federal offers this ammo in three different 00 loads. Some information on these can be found here: le.atk.com/ammunition/federal/buckshot/default.aspx
11 years 2 months ago #15923

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sharkey
  • Sharkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Life Member
  • Life Member
  • Playgirl's Center-fold of the Century
  • Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic Favorite Shotgun Ammo for range and defense.

I tried some Low Recoil stuff in my Benelli but it doesn't like it much. I also need to stay away from the "Flite Control" stuff cuzza the door breacher compensator I have on it - it apparently messes with the rounds or the rounds are no good for IT or something. I dunno...

I actually like the stuff I'm shooting though buddy and although the Tru Ball slugs are a little dirty, they kick some ass at the range and the price is right as well as the #1 shot Remington stuff so I'll stay within my budget and stick with what we're good with...
11 years 2 months ago #15929

• Sharkey
  • Life Member
  • Life Member

Just got in a nice "slug" delivery so I'll be good for shotgun ammo for my next few range runs. I also bought some of those Dupo 28 slugs - enough to try em out anyway and see how they run through the M4.

If they are accurate, I'll let everyone know. They are some seriously horrific rounds by the video I saw of them "bursting" inside a block of gelatin.

I swear those thing would almost flip a deer over sideways with a solid chest hit...

I shot an ounce and quarter slug into a wounded but running deer (small buck - years ago) once right through the backside as it jumped a dead fall at about 60 yards and it flipped and landed facing on it's back so I can't even guess what one of these things would have done..
11 years 1 week ago #18438

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Favorite Shotgun Ammo for range and defense.

Three years ago I took my deer with a garden variety Remington slug. From 20 feet away. The effect at that range is sobering, to say the least.
11 years 1 week ago #18439

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Favorite Shotgun Ammo for range and defense.

I like the 2 3/4" OO, they are better for control. I don't like shotgun in enclosed space do to the flash and Bang effect, it can be overwhelming. Once I got to be breecher in a breeching exercise in a long hallway (5 guys in a stack behind me), took three shots of 3 1/2" OO to remove the door and a shoulder, anyway everybody clogging the hallway seemed to magnify the compression on me, I don't know if it was the adrenaline or the pressure , or perhaps someone's elbow, but when it was over I was dazed and had a bloody nose.
11 years 1 week ago #18441

• Sharkey
  • Life Member
  • Life Member

All I use is 2-3/4. I never bothered with anything longer since I always preferred having an extra shot as compared to less and slightly stronger.

As for the buckshot, it's always nice but since I can't shoot it at my range, I keep a solid stock of slugs around for range work and just leave all my buck in storage.

I prefer the single 0 for home defense though. Less penetration so safer in the house and according to studies I've read, has a higher potential of traumatic injury than the 00. Plus it's got 16 pellets as compared to 9 which will, all by itself, give it a greater impact and more damage.

00 could go THRU the target whereas single 0 has a better chance of stopping inside which would create a higher potential for "stopping" the subject..

Just my take.
11 years 1 week ago #18442

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!