Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Harris bipod

• Thank you received: 0

Harris bipod was created by gunjunkie

I am going to get a Harris Bipod S type and am wondering if yall like the leg notch or the plain. Also will these mar the finish on an Armalite round alum. hand guard or do I need the tapered rubber mounting pad that Harris sells? I will be shooting prone and bench. Would you recommend 6"-9" or 9"-12"?
12 years 3 months ago #10017

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Harris bipod

The harris bipod has a cushion already glued in it, so unless they have changed the design there should not be any marring contact.
As far as height goes, magazine clearance pushes most of us to the 9"-12" version but it really is a bit too tall when shooting prone. I've only used 20rnd mags so I can't comment on using shorter mags with the 6"-9".
Mine is a 9"-12" and has the notched legs, I do not care for them because the allow the feet to roll when I try to load the bipod on a hard surface. Adding to that, one of the biggest gripes I have with the harris is the feet, they just don't grab anything. PODclaws are expensive but worth it if you plan on sticking with the harris. I was going to go that route, but have since decided to save up for the atlas bipod. I'll be selling my harris eventually.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
12 years 3 months ago #10018

Replied by gunjunkie on topic Re: Harris bipod

Thanks 13fcolt, I only have the two ten rounders that came with mine and when I laid down with it 8" seemed about right. Didn't think about 20 rounders being too long. I wonder if 15 rounders would be ok with the shorter bipod.
12 years 3 months ago #10020

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by NBT on topic Re: Harris bipod

I'm with Colt on his statements...and I have the 6-9" "S" version. I really don't need the side to side play that comes with the S...and my next Bipod will be the Atlas as well.
I'm not taking anything away from the Harris...it's been a great Bipod...reliable...zero issues...but it does have it's "shortcomings"...which seem to be preferential.
IF your looking at some of the cheaper type Harris style bi-pod (Shooters Ridge, UTG, ect)...save your money...they don't last.
I have not used this Bipod on the AR10....only my Remington 700 SPS in .308. so I'm not sure about magazine clearance with a particular height Bipod.

Good Luck
12 years 3 months ago #10030

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: Harris bipod

I bought a Harris Light weight with the notched legs....I have to say I like it..
before that I used a Shooter's Ridge Rock Mount...the Harris Light weight made a big difference in the front weight...of the rifle....
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 3 months ago #10048

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Harris bipod

I have all sizes of AR-10 magazines so I plugged them in and took some measurements of the amount hanging below the magazine well. The 10 rd was almost 5/8 inch, the 15 rd was 1 3/4 inch, the 20 rd was 3 inch, and the 25 rd was 4 1/8 inch. I have a FAB T-pod that goes to 9 inches tall. When flat on the bench the 15's are an easy change, the 20's are very tight and barely make it without raising the butt off the bench, and the 25's of course don't fit while flat on the bench. The 25's are a bit awkward and restrictive for me when in the prone but then the prone has become awkward for me period. I find myself using the 15 rounder for most of the time spent on the bench or prone.
I find the 9 inches a little short the prone when out in the field but it is great for the bench.
Hope this information can help.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 3 months ago #10059

Replied by gunjunkie on topic Re: Harris bipod

Much obliged jtallen83. I was thinking 15 rounders too.
12 years 3 months ago #10061

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!