Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

what scope to get

• Thank you received: 67

what scope to get was created by foxhunter

I would appreciate some advice. I have an ar10t with a nightforce 2-10x. I haven't been able to shoot it over 200 yds yet, but the scope is great up to that distance.
I just bought an AR10a4f that is advertised at 1.5-2 MOA.
The Ar10t will be used for noncompetitive target shooting . The lighter ar10a4f will be carried into the woods for hunting/shooting that won't likely exceed 250 yds. My rule of thumb is that I am willing to put about the same amount of money in a scope as I do for the gun. Right now I have open sights on the A4f and it is kind of fun shooting it with open sights.
So what would you guys do with the A4f? I have also considered moving the nightforce to the a4f and getting maybe a 4-14x for the 10T
15 years 1 month ago #1221

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:what scope to get

My AR-10 is an A2C with an Eotech 511 on the carry handle. It works pretty well at 100 yds off the bench for load work up, I have gotten 1.5 MOA groups. The carry handle rail comes loose though. I have an A4 receiver on the way. I think the Eotech is going to be a real nice deer and coyote sight. For the money though, you can get a nice low-mid power scope and that would probably be better >100 yds.
15 years 1 month ago #1230

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by CBnL on topic Re:what scope to get

Swarovski anything...
I have a 4-16x50 PL on an AR10 and a 6-24x50 TT on an HS Precision; best optics I've ever owned. (also have binoc's and spotting scope)

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

15 years 1 month ago #1233

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:what scope to get

I like my Trijicon ACOG....(I have the AR10A4)
15 years 4 weeks ago #1243

ACOG's are nice, just make sure you get one with the 308 reticle so the bullet drop comp will be correct. They are too bright to use with night vision though... it will burn into the night vision. With a little bit of SWAN stuff you can make it pretty flexable. I don't like trading around scopes on anything I'm planning on being 1/2-ish MOA with because you just really can't be that accurate when taking things off and putting them back on but if you are just looking at around 1.5-2 MOA, I've found throw levers to be OK

15 years 4 weeks ago #1245

Replied by Hillbilly1053 on topic Re:what scope to get

I did get the 308 reticle. The newest tactical/LE. I do not have the shooting skill to realistically shoot beyond 200 yards with confidence.

SWAN stuff? Throw levers?

I just keep learning and sending more and more!
15 years 4 weeks ago #1246

Yea, SWAN is the parent company of A.R.M.S ATLANTIC RESEARCH MARKETING SYSTEMS which makes firearms accessory rails and mounts.
www.armsmounts.com/
15 years 4 weeks ago #1249

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:what scope to get

the Trijicon ACOG looks pretty nice. My only concern is the fade over time on the tritium. I see the company says the lighted spot is gone in 15 yr. What happens then? Just becomes a standard unlighted scope? I have scoped guns that are 35 plus years old that I still shoot. Does the company replace the tritium?? I notice that the scopes have a lifetime warranty except for the 15 yr lifespan for tritium.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1251

Oh, the half life of tritium is 8500 days so that's 12 years... 12 years it will be half as bright as it is on day 1; another 12 years and it will be half as bright again (or 1/4 brightness of day 1) another 12 years (I'd be dead) it will be 1/8th as bright... and yes, it will just be a normal scope with black crosss hairs that will be hard to see in the dark.
15 years 4 weeks ago #1253

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:what scope to get

Hi, don't know if you found your optics yet, but I would be glad to share my thoughts. I have an A4CB and wanted to be able to switch from short rang to distance with out loosing my zero. Optics, I have a Leupold Mark 2 6x18 with AO, ran about $600+ it's good to 400 to 500 yards, I actually wanted a Mark 4 8.5x25 but it was a little more than my budget would allow (my wife, chuckle). My close range optic is a Bushnell Trophy, red dot, not bad for $100, and it works well for what I use it for.
As far as mounts, all mine are LaRue Quick Detach, and I can tell you that these are durable and easy to use. They are pricey for mounts, but worth it. Check out the photo gallery for a look.
I hope I have been of some help.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 15 years 11 hours ago by BUILDING MY SASS. Reason: none
15 years 12 hours ago #1365

This message has an attachment file.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!