Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

what scope to get

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:what scope to get

I ended up going with the Leupold variX 3 variable 3.5-10x/40mm on my armalite AR10a4rifle. I decided since the MOA on this gun is 1.5-2, and that my primary gun is an AR10T with a nightforce scope, that I would be happy with the vari-x 3. I have them on hunting rifles and found a good price since apparently they are being discontinued.
My next project is to change the scope on my daughter's Smith and Wesson AR15, which right now has a $100 1x aimpoint.It is just not good enough for shooting past 100yds, but it is great for quick use at close range. I am probably going to go with something 4x, maybe a trigicon.Any thoughts out there on that? My daughter is a very average shooter, so something cheaper would probably be more prudent.(These difficult life decisions)
I really like the idea of the Larue Quick detach mounts. I have not bought those mainly because I was concerned about whether the scope will remained zeroed. How has your experience been with that?
15 years 11 hours ago #1367

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:what scope to get

I'm glad to hear you got your scope. As far as a good scope for your daughter's gun, well how much do you want to spend. A Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactile would work, 5x15x40, with a life time guarantee, or if want to really make her happy, custom build her on from Leupold. Price about $300+. One thing I learned the hard way, spend the money for the optics.
As for the LaRue mounts, I have had no trouble with my scope returning to zero, other than changing ammo, I have the rail positions marked on the bottom of the mounts. My red dot on the other hand, I have had to adjust for windage a couple of times, but that is my optic not the mount. I know this is a tough one but, trust me when I say if you get one, you won't want any other. LaRue has a pretty good guarantee, I quote Mark LaRue, if you ain't happy, then we ain't happy. You decide. www.laruetactical.com If you decide on one let me know if you need any help. Good luck.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
15 years 9 hours ago #1368

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:what scope to get

If you think you might get beyond 200 yards someday, then I would take that 2-10x Nightforce and put it on you A4. Then I would get a 5.5-22x Nightforce and stick it on your 10T.

If your never going to go beyond 200 yards, then keep the 2-10x on the 10T and get an EOTech, Aimpoint or ACOG for the A4.

Seems to work for me, anyways. YMMV
14 years 11 months ago #1393

• Thank you received: 67

Replied by foxhunter on topic Re:what scope to get

I have a 200 yd range on my farm, but if I get time this summer, I am going to throw up a burm of dirt and logs and set up a range for up to 1000 yds. That may be the time to take your suggestion and get the 5.5 x 22nightforce. Honestly ,I have never shot at anything over 200 yds, so I don't even know what the target will look like through my 10x at 400, 600 or further.I went with that nightforce 2-10x scope initially as it gives fast close range aquisition and good long range visability. I guess when I start shooting at those longer istances, I will know if I need more scope.Definitely going to look into those LaRue mounts though. Since southern Illinois got hit by an inland hurricane last week with 100 mph + winds, it will take me most of the spring to clear the 75 or so trees piled up like pick up stix around the farm. On the bright side, I guess I can use all those massive tree trunks to help make my back stop for the 1000 yd range
14 years 11 months ago #1396

You will definately like the higher power for 1000 yards. I know it made a big difference for me, going from a fixed 10x to the 5.5-22x Nightforce!

Glad to see you're making lemonade out of the lemons that mother nature sent you. :-)

I wish I had that much land for myself. I guess I could have if I would have become a farmer like my dad.
14 years 11 months ago #1397

The Night Force scopes are good scopes, don't get me wrong, but for that kind of distance, myself I would go with a Leupold Mark4--8.5x25x50 Long range Tactical, M1 turrets, side focus, 30mm tube. Cost about $1,400 and add $200 for the illuminated reticle if you want it. It's what is on most of the SASS's and other military weapons including the bolts as I call them (chuckle). That is good enough for me. I also like my Mark2. If you really want the optics for that range and have the money, check out U.S. Optics, they make some long range scopes, out to 2000 yards plus. As for the LaRue mounts, you will love them, if you need some help choosing the right one, let me know.
No matter what anyone says, it all comes down to your personal preference.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 11 months ago #1398

This message has an attachment image.

OK, being a Leupold man, just cause mine has served me well, I found something that I think Leupold can't compete with. This is for you Night Force guys, when some one asks how tough are Night Force scopes, check out the picture under accessories, in the gallery.
I tried to post it, to big, any way you guys will like this.

Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 11 months ago #1402

This message has attachments files.

Good stuff, them Nightforce Scopes!! :-)
14 years 11 months ago #1415

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by CBnL on topic Re:what scope to get

Do not forget Swarovski scopes.
The quality of the optics themselves makes a big difference.
You can have poorly ground lenses lacking coatings to allow the greatest light transfer all resulting in not having a clear image that fully represents what is actually down range.
You can see more with a lower power, higher quality optic than with a higher power, lower quality optic.
I can see the .308 bullet hole in my target at 200 yards with my 6-24x50 Swarovski rifle scope; can anyone tell me if they can see a hole that small at 200 yards with a Nightforce?
14 years 11 months ago #1417

Yes, I can.

Swaro has excellent glass. Most likely even better than Nightforce. My only exposure to Swaro's are my Laser Range finder and Swarovski crystal that my Grandma used to collect. :) I've looked through one in a store, but never in the field.

Anyway, the Swaro LRF is superb! Beats out everyone else! And I suspect it's because of it's glass.

My issue with Swaro, is I haven't seen one that is built as "tough" as Nightforce. A good long range "sniper" type scope, which I personally like using, needs to have other features besides good glass. They need to have big exposed "knobby" turrets, that you can turn with gloves on. They need to have either a milradian or MOA based reticle. They need to track consistently and pass a "box test". They need to have a lot of elevation adjustment (like 100 moa or more). They need to have the same POI regardless of the zoom setting.

You need to pick a scope to your application. On any given day I'll shoot from 25 yards all the way out to 2000 yards. And I'm in various prediciments that could potentially cause my rifle to get knocked around hard, like rappelling off a cliff, for example. The Nightforce, US Optics and Leupolds fit my needs.

S&B has supperior glass, but requires a 35mm tube, just to get the 100+ moa elevation.
Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by Edge.
14 years 11 months ago #1418

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!