Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

• Thank you received: 0

Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock was created by Dsl728

Hi, I have an ar-10 with a 20 inch barrel and a fixed a2 type stock. It has a MI rail with a magpul attachment point up front the rail is also set up for quick detach mounts it the front or back. I am planning on using a MS2 sling but I can buy another if needed.
I am looking for a good setup to carry the rifle for elk hunting. I know their are better rifles for hunting but I want to become proficient with the ar-10 in all evirornments, besides it sounds like fun.
I have seen the tango down quick release clamp type attachment point but know one seems to have any in stock also the Troy industries a2buttplate w q.d. Swivel but not sure how that would carry with the longer 20 in barrel and heavier ar-10. Anyway I need this in the next few weeks so any info would be welcome.

Thanks
11 years 7 months ago #12302

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

I'd recommend any three point sling that's made for AR's. Most three point slings don't use sling mounts.

I use a three point sling on mine because of the ability to carry the rifle in many different positions.
11 years 2 months ago #16039

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

:I-agree: I have had no real problems with my 3 point generic sling.
11 years 2 months ago #16040

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

Installing flush cup inserts is a pretty easy drill and epoxy DIY, and brownells sells them pretty cheap.

3 point slings are against my religion. I gave them an honest chance and was never happy and I never recommend them. I will always be a 2 point sling guy. My personal slings are blue force gear vcas or viking tactics V-tac. Both offer rapid adjustment and are well built.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 2 months ago #16048

• Thank you received: 85

Replied by Dabu on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

I wouldn't recommend a two point sling for AR's anywhere except the range. The pistol grip and magazine can get pretty annoying if you're going to carry an AR on your shoulder with a two point sling that's attached to the bottom side of the rifle.

If two point slings are part of your religion, I'd really recommend that you use sling points that mount on the left side of the rifle just so the magazine and pistol grip won't be in your way when you're carrying the rifle.
11 years 2 months ago #16056

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

All of my slings are side mounted, for the reason you mentioned. However, I find the the grip and mag a non issue and far less annoying than a strap running down the side of my weapon. 3 point slings were always in my way and snagging my gear, so I put on my own 2 point and gave the arms room back their 3 point.
Folks should certainly use what ever works best for them on their rifle. If it floats your boat, be my guest. For me, 3 point slings don't cut it. With all the options available for mounting slings in any number of ways to suit the end user, the 3 point is kinda pointless. Just my 2 bits.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dabu
11 years 2 months ago #16057

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

I'm with you 13fcolt and prefer a 2-pt mount sling. Now to qualify this statement. Don't use the standard rifle sling mounts which are on the bottom of the rifle. Use mounts that are near the top of the rifle which will solve Dabu's complaint. I use the Viking Tactics 2-pt sling which I love because I can carry my AR-10T high on my chest which makes it easy to climb with and adjusts very quickly for sling length, front of chest or back carry, etc. www.vikingtactics.com/videos/pop-instr_video1_sling.html

I installed a Troy Industries quick release sling adapter to the front of the A2 stock just above the trigger guard. Simple install, no cutting, trimming, etc. mods were required. I also installed a Picatinny rail mount quick release near the top of the forearm.

www.amazon.com/Troy-Industries-M16A4-Sli...dapter/dp/B0051T84D0

Using this adapter rather than epoxying a mount to your current stock allows you to use this adapter with any aftermarket stock you may decide to use later like MagPul, etc.
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by JustMe.
11 years 2 months ago #16058

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

I have been following this, First, before I can make a real suggestion...
I would like to see a picture of your rifle, in order to make a complete and adequate referral as to my opinion...it is hard to make a suggestion without seeing what I am trying to help with....
At this point...Two Point...
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
11 years 2 months ago #16060

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by gunjunkie on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

I used the Blue Force Gear A1/A2 Buttstock Adapter on mine to mount my sling on top and removed the factory bottom mount.
11 years 2 months ago #16169

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by dfc5343 on topic Looking for sling attachment point for a2 stock

2 point for me. As for the sling I had a VTAC on my M1A. For my AR-10 I am thinking the Vickers. I know its designed for a side mount config but I think I will try it in the standard position.
10 years 4 months ago #31796

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!