Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR10T Backup Sight Questions

• Thank you received: 1

AR10T Backup Sight Questions was created by Macky

Whats up AR10T folks?!

Right now, I have no iron sights on my rifle, and I want to put on some backup sites. The rifle has a flat top to mount a rear folding sight. I have been looking at the offerings from Troy Industries and MI for that. Both seem good options. The front sight is where I'm left scratching my head. I have a flat block, so I COULD mount a front folding sight with the same connecting style as the rear sight.

However, after looking at the MI site and seeing this product
www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?f...play&category_ID=204

It made me think I would need to take off the flat top mount in front of the gas block. A guy I was with at the range this weekend echoed something similar, so I'm not sure if its a 'fit' issue with AR10T. I'm new to the rifle scene, and I was taking in a lot at the USRA class, so I can't remember exactly the reason.

So, can I save some money and use the front flat mount, and use a folding sight, or will I need to remove front flat mount in front of the gas black and go setup like from MI?

Long term plan for the rifle: I want to get a better scope with mounts, and have a great set of folding sites. I like iron shooting.
10 years 10 months ago #24112

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

I really like the Troy HK style front sight as it gives a circle in a circle sight picture that I find very fast to aquire.

If your mounting to the railed gasblock you will need a riser to make it upper rail hight or a front sight that is ment for a gas block rail.

If you plan to eventually get a railed handguard that extends over the gasblock you'll want to go with a riser.
10 years 10 months ago #24113

Replied by Macky on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

Thanks!

Any recommendation one way or the other or is it all just preference? If I have to put a riser on, that just seems like more things to come loose. I guess locktite is always good, but I like simple.

Stupid question time -
The gas block is the entire black cylinder in the picture? A redesign of the rifle would be in order if I were to install a handguard?

10 years 10 months ago #24117

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

That is all gas block in front of the handguard.

Changing it all depends on what kind of handguard you pick. Some require a low-profile gas block and some can use what you have, don't be afraid to call the manufacturer to insure you get the correct parts, at least it helps, the product descriptions can get confusing about use on the AR-10. MI has their ducks in a row and competitive prices when it comes to our rifle! :twocents:
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 10 months ago #24122

Got it now. Things just got much brighter. Thanks for clearing that up. With my handguard looking the way it does, well, I don't know what I was thinking.

Yea, trying to make sense of everything in a sea of products doesn't make things easy. Glad this site is here.

Appreciate the help!
10 years 10 months ago #24125

• Thank you received: 80

Replied by Lizardette on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

If you want to go with something like what you linked to, I feel obliged to mention that replacing a gas block isn't actually that hard to do - assuming you're not drilling and pinning a GI front sight base/gas block.

Honestly I'd think it would be better to get a taller railed gas block than to use risers on a shorter railed gas block. I'm of the same opinion as you regarding proliferation in numbers of parts.

Lock-tite is almost never a bad idea.
10 years 10 months ago #24127

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

Libertarian got those 45 degree offset BUIS and is very impressed with
Them. Hopefully he will input some information to this thread. I have been kicking around some of those myself.
10 years 10 months ago #24129

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

Macky, Here is one of those MI gas block sights in your original post;
www.ebay.com/itm/151048447377?ssPageName...id=p3984.m1436.l2649

I'm a junkie for good second hand parts so I ran across this while prowling.
LIBERTY FIRST!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Macky
10 years 10 months ago #24173

Now that is almost certainly a deal! I'm checking it out right now. Thanks for passing this along. A++++ would post again.
10 years 10 months ago #24174

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic AR10T Backup Sight Questions

I have the plastic sights by MagPull, neat, good, lightweight inexpensive and they do the job well...
10 years 10 months ago #24177

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!