Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

• Thank you received: 0

AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load was created by Tominno

Guys, I need your help in selecting a scope for my AR 10T. I have a AR 10T that I want to set-up for hog hunting in south Mississippi. I realize that one size doesn't fit all but am looking for a suitable scope for both close and far range. Hunting from a stand 100-125 yards is a long shot but shooting over the field we're looing at 300-450 yards. Night hunting is also a possibility. Hogs are most active at sunrise and sunset so sharp clear optics are a must not to mention 68 year old eyes.

I thinking about a Zeiss Conquest 5x20x50 but I'm open to suggestions. I'd sure appreciate your thoughts on the Zeiss Conquest or your recommendation for a scope and mount.

On the subject of hog hunting, any recommendation for a hard hitting bullet? I'm considering hand loading a 165-168 gr. bullet such as the Nosler Partition.

Finally can also use a recommendation for a bipod as a steady rest is needed for long shots.

Any thoughts that you care to share are most appreciated.
9 years 4 days ago #44456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

Welcome Tominno- Your choice of optic is really based on how much you want to spend and what your requirements are. For the ranges your talking about I would never go over 10X simply because I want a wider field of view. My son would do fine with a 1-4 power. You may require more. You can spend a lot of money on optics, so pick your price point then pick your power level that you require and do a comparison search. You really cant go wrong these days if your willing to spend over 500.00 there are a lot of choices. As to the round your spot on as far as I am concerned the 180gr nosler partition loaded in the federal premiums is a hammer and very accurate for me. I have always been able to hold 1 MOA or better out to 500m with that round from the factory.
9 years 4 days ago #44457

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

:welcome: Tominno. I agree with Lib, pick your price point and power first. The reticle style deserves some research as well,lighted or not, basic duplex or one of those new fangled Christmas tree style with all the range and windage points ect...ect.
I also learned from Lib that a using a rear bag was a huge benefit for a steady rest. I love my Atlas bi-pod but some don't find it steady. Mine works fine for me when I load it.
www.accu-shot.com/Atlas_Bipods.php
The thread linked below covers some of the higher end scopes but will give you a good overview of the whats and whys of scopes.

www.ar10t.com/forums/rifle-scopes/14832-...ecisionrifleblog-com
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 days ago #44458

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

I like the Harris bipod at a tenth the cost of the Atlas. I consistently shoot sub half-inch groups with my AR-10T using the cheaper Harris bipod. Can't see why you would want to pay $200 plus for an Atlas bipod.

As far as a scope, that's a personal choice for sure. Optics are one of those rare products that, the more you pay, the better the optic, so buy the most expensive you can afford. If using it for hunting, most recommend putting your money in a good binocular and less in a rifle scope. If using it for shooting paper, then put your money in a good rifle scope. Also, if you are planning to shoot long distances and have lots of time to dope your scope by twisting the reticle dials then a single reticle scope will do fine. If you plan to hunt with it at quickly changing game ranges, then I'd recommend a multiple reticle scope so you don't have to fiddle with changing the zero and windage. Multiple reticle scopes are much, much faster to change range in most hunting scenarios.
Last edit: 9 years 2 days ago by JustMe.
9 years 2 days ago #44461

My wife got it for as a Christmas gift so that took the sting out of the Price :thumbs:

Primary Arms is having a March madness 20% off sale on Harris bipods;

www.primaryarms.com/Harris_s/165.htm?utm...03-Ad3_March_Madness
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 days ago #44463

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

JT, Sorry, didn't mean to be critical of your wife's choice of buying an Atlas. I need to be more careful about how I word things. I was just trying to recommend a cheaper alternative so he'd have more to spend on a scope and wasn't trying to be critical of your choice. I should have said the Atlas is a great bipod, but so is the Harris at a much cheaper price point, so you might want to consider the Harris.

I should have added in my scope discussion that if your hunting ranges are less than 300 yards a multiple reticle scope would not be required, just sight the single reticle in for 200 yards (1.5 inches high at 100 yds) and hold right on the kill area out to 300 yards. Past 300 yds and you'll have to start guessing how high to hold and how much windage to hold off. Past 300 yds is where the Christmas tree multiple reticles become faster for calculating both elevation and windage hold offs. They were designed originally for sniper use for this very reason, fast engagement of multiple targets at various long ranges.
8 years 11 months ago #44472

No offense taken, having one is like admitting your an alcoholic at an AA meeting. My wife had noticed them on my watch list for ebay all the time, I could never pull the trigger due to the cost. I keep watching for an EliteIron bipod to come on ebay hoping she will get me one of those, you can buy a rifle for the cost;
eliteiron.com/bipod/ :blink:

I love the Atlas but my next bipod will be a Harris ;)
LIBERTY FIRST!
8 years 11 months ago #44474

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by shotgun on topic AR 10 optics, bipod and hunting load

Hello every one. I am going to make a suggestions. One you all ready have and that I the Harris bi-pod. Ok hear comes the one that's different. There is a company out of Texas that sell's scopes. Just about all the big names. Then they sell a line of scopes in there own brand. The company is SWFA. The scope is there Super Sniper line. I know the price is cheap. So automatically that can't be any good. This is one time the price will make a fool out of you. I just bought two new ss 10x42 side focus scopes. 399.00. I could have bought any scope that swfa has. This scopes are going on my loaded M1a with a Archangle stock with a springfield gen 4 scope mount. The second is going a barnd new Savage 110 BA in 300 win mag. Before every body say's what a piece of shit, they would be wise to read up on these scopes and even try one. You might learn something new. Oh by the way I have four more ss scopes along with four Leoupoild (sp) Mk4's. I could set hear and tell you how great they are, but who would believe me. take a chance and try one. Oh by the way they are all 30mm tubes with 42mm objective lenses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by shotgun.
8 years 11 months ago #44479

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!