Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Night vision help

• Thank you received: 4

Night vision help was created by txhollowpoints

Hey guys looking to get some help on choosing a nightvision scope. The gun is dpms gen2
Scope is a nightforce shv 5x20-56
Rock river 4lb trigger
Luth stock
Waiting on midwest industries to get a new shipment of rails for the gen 2's
Trust is done and can is paid for waiting on ATF to give me the ok. Went with the specwar from silencer co.
I absolutely love everything about the gun. And have shot anything that I can and I love the accuracy
I've been shooting 150gr factory ammo haven't really found the perfect 1 yet but I'm giving it he'll
So I wanna start shooting at night 100 yards at the most but I want one that I can put infront of my Nightforce that way I can just take it off and on whenever I want.
After all the coin I've spent on this thing my wife will not let me go all out on a night vision scope so no gen 3 stuff wanting to stay below 1k or really close to it.
I called armasight and they told me they have one that is a gen2 it's called COMR ID but it's 1790 and idk if I can convence the wife that I need it that bad. If y'all have one y'all recommend or y'all have used id greatly appreciate ur input
9 years 3 weeks ago #44488

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 57

Replied by JustMe on topic Night vision help

Have you searched for reviews of the COMR ID on Amazon? That's a good place to start. Other good search engines are Google, Bing or Blekko.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by JustMe.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44489

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Night vision help

Here are some old threads;

www.ar10t.com/forums/rifle-scopes/14940-...-for-under-500#43695

www.ar10t.com/forums/holographic-sights-...sion-monocular#35485

www.ar10t.com/forums/holographic-sights-...04-night-vision#2223

Most that have real world experience using night vision choose goggles versus rifle mounted scopes. Many illuminated scopes have NV settings, my Bushnell SMRS 1-6.5 has several NV settings for use with goggles. Some models of Eotechs and Aimpoints have NV settings as well.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 weeks ago #44490

Replied by txhollowpoints on topic Night vision help

I started doing more research and ur right everyone uses the goggles just so they don't have to walk around holding there gun up looking threw the night vision scope. But yet I don't understand if I need the goggles or a monocular? Cuz the goggles it looks like the exit lens is right in between ur eyes so that would seem complicated to adjust to look threw my scope or maybe I'm over thinking it. But it seems like the monocular over my right eye would be better shooting wise but do I just walk around with my left eye closed? I'm sorry a lot of questions just trying to figure out what I need and I've never used anything night vision so I'm really excited to get something but I wanna get the right thing
9 years 3 weeks ago #44496

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Night vision help

As JT said everyone is using goggles and IR lights or DBAL's. This works for out to 200m. beyond that or if you require a very precision shot, you will have to add a full length rail and take you pick of IR add ons. I have worked with goggles and a IR light at the range only and feel it works fine at close range. The DBAL is needed to get you to 200m. Anyway it is illegal to hunt with it in Michigan so no sense in going much further right now. I lost interest, mainly due to the costs associated with getting in the game. You can spend upwards of 10K equipping for the night. Goggles and DBAl are the cheapest way to start. I did get to shoot a 10k thermal set up, yes it was cool but 10K means no way.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44499

Ok I got 1 more prob dumb question but I think I'm getting this down. The IR lights are basically what gives u more light to see threw the goggles correct. So let me ask this if I'm hunting in a field that's a 200 yard square potato field and I saw they have some bigger IR led lights what if I staked acouple around there and turned power on to em and sat with my goggles would I be able to see more? And if that does work then do I still need to spend a lot of money on goggles or can I just get some mediocre set of goggles for 500 bucks or do I still need high quality. I'm just trying to go the least expensive route. And if I don't get the approval from the boss then I'll just buy a red spot light and do the best I can
9 years 3 weeks ago #44504

More IR light will help with any goggle but the clarity will not be improved. Clarity is a huge part of the price points for night vision, the clearer the view the higher the price.
I don't have any experience with the laser indicator linked below but if I follow the description and reviews it works like a spotlight.

www.opticsplanet.com/laser-genetics-subz...ator-w-3-mounts.html

Here is another with more power, good reviews from hunters on this one;

www.opticsplanet.com/laser-genetics-nd3x...r-w-scope-mount.html

I had a Z-Bolt green laser sight that was military issue for a short time early in the Iraq war. They were not built to hold up to the recoil so the front lens fell out but it will still light a good 6 foot circle at 50 or so yards. I'm betting the subzero with its focusing ability would work pretty good for hunting hogs at night.
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by jtallen83.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44505

I appreciate it guys truly I'm gonna do some looking around and see if I can get what I need. Thank y'all for all yalls help
9 years 3 weeks ago #44507

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Night vision help

TX . the DBAl knock offs can be had on ebay for less than 100.00 with a 5MW IR designator that can be zeroed, this gives you pinpoint accuracy to about 200 when used with goggles. The goggles are your choice used they can be had for less than 1 K . this is the cheapest way to go for a total night time set up. You will have to check your local laws to see if this is legal down your way, Or you can go with red flood lights and a dimmer switch if your baiting them into a feeder.

Just went over and priced out some used ITT gen three goggles tubes , with a used mount , and ballistic helmet with mount and a cheap knock off DBAL all came to less than 900.00 so there you have it. The cheapest way into the game. If its legal for you to hunt this way I would absolutely go for it.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 3 weeks ago #44519

Got a link for that used equipment?
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 3 weeks ago #44520

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!