Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Rear Bags

• Thank you received: 216

Rear Bags was created by Libertarian623

I know I have said it before but everyone needs a rear bag. And I may have posted this before but it bears another look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 2 weeks ago #44587

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by silverman1 on topic Rear Bags

It looks interesting,
I am now using a monopod on my magpul stock, and When shooting at prairie dogs, I can turn, and fine tune the elevation, to stay on a hole, and wait for a dog, to come out.
I just watch through my binocs, and when one shows, I go back to my scope.
I have a small squeeze bag, like a leather hacky sack, but it is not tall enough for the amount of elevation change I need for my shooting conditions.
I did find out a Harris bipod was too flimsy for 700 to 1000 yard shooting, I had to put big bags in front and rear of the legs to stabilize it.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44597

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic Rear Bags

Silverman- what did you find was the problem with the Harris bipod being to flimsy. I guess if you do most of your shooting from a bench or hunting a static position then your right a heavy bagged rifle and or a lead sled is what you want. But I have found when competing in tactical type matches or hunting that bipods and shooting stix are the only way to go. Guess it comes down to what you are doing with your rifle.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44621

• Thank you received: 78

Replied by That_Guy on topic Rear Bags

I don't mean to be "That Guy" (pun, kinda intended) but I don't think you're loading your bipod right. I always set up my rifle, stand behind it, drop down to prone and rest the butt on my chest, then I slide forward and get my weight on the rifle, I then drop the rifle into the pocket and put my toe bag in place. When properly loaded the bipod should be bent back towards the shooter a little. If the bipod isn't loaded you will have a shaky picture and your barrel harmonics change a little which can throw off a shot.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44623

I had my scope cranked up to 40X on a breezy day that required a one mil dot hold to the left.
My AR-15 was only good out to app.425 yds., and after that hits were blown all over the place, so I was going for 450 to 700 yd. shots with the .308.
The cross hairs were dancing all over the place , so when we quit for lunch, (the dogs seem to nap from noon to 3 ), so while in town I bought a pair of giant pants from goodwill, and cut the legs off, and made bags with the legs, and filled with 1/8 in dia. pebbles from ant hills.
I put one bag and in front , and one in back of the legs to stabilize them.
After that the rifle settled down, and I started to get hits.
I use a monopod on back, and as long as you turn the lock nut along with the body and re lock it every time, it is solid.
You got to remember also the kill zone on a prairie dog is 1.5 X 7 in. average, and at 700 yds. that is like trying to shoot a short chunk of 2x4 on edge, and if they are on their belly, that is smaller yet.
A standing dog at 700, I have 1/8 in . clicks, and I would shoot over, turn down one click, and shoot under the next shot.
you had to fudge the hairs a ''smidge'' to hit.
I have no trouble shooting ''human'' steel silhouettes @1000 yds., but my longest shot on a dog, was 701 yds.
I was wishing I had the carriage off a 105 howitzer to mount my rifle on.
I let the rancher shoot 5 antelope at app.700 yds. with my 308 as they were eating his sorghum (cattle feed) he was amazed he could hit at that range. Said his .270 was only good out to 500 yds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 2 weeks ago #44624

That is easy to do when you are shooting prone, but we use the shooting benches with a center post you can swivel.
We split our shooting area, into 1/4 so we have a 90 deg. area to cover.
When we glass an area, you never know where one will pop up.
It is hard to preload a bipod on a smooth bench top.
But I use a wrist sling, like was popular in the 50-60's it attaches to the front swivel on the bipod, and has a sheepskin lined cuff, that I put on my left bicep.
When you reach back to grab the monopod, you put the exact preload against the shoulder every time.
But I think the sand bag helped ''preload'' the bipod.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44626

silverman- Sounds like a good solution, thanks for sharing. I have a similar problem when shooting off high pitch roofs (anything angled and smooth). Your idea may be applicable to that in that I could put like two little hacky sacks on the legs of the bipod to get better purchase, everyone knows the spikes don't work for beans. I will post up what I come up with. It will probably look a little funny. Good stuff.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44628

I tried to find some gum rubber feet like they used to use on crutches.
Figured I could just slip them over the feet on the harris.
But everything I found locally was too hard of rubber.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44633

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Rear Bags

Just dip it;

www.plastidip.com/

They make several types that are pretty grippy and you can coat about anything, more coats makes for a spongier feel. They make camo colors as well.

www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip_Camo
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 2 weeks ago #44636

The problem is the contact patch, has to be larger. I have got a couple ideas that I will try out and post.
9 years 2 weeks ago #44638

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!