Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Custom Paint Jobs

• Thank you received: 0

Custom Paint Jobs was created by paulv

Found this site while browsing the net, wanted to share.

762precision.wordpress.com/

The pics look amazing and this company has many different styles/patterns/colors to choose from

I checked them all out and found my favorite to be "Rommel’s Book" Pattern
I like how it looks raw, rugged, and dirty < insert joke > ;)

Whats yours ?
11 years 11 months ago #11406

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Re: Custom Paint Jobs

I'd have to see it in the sunlight to be sure, but I'm thinking the Rommel's book is the best as well. If the browns are not too dark.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 11 months ago #11407

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Custom Paint Jobs

I don't want to hijack your thread but you may know, what is a good finish to use if you plan on lots of changes? We have four distinct seasons hear in Iowa, some winters there are feet of snow and some there is very little. What works best to change your rifles color often and cleans up easy so I don't get a buildup? Do they make anything should have been my first question I guess.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 11 months ago #11408

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: Custom Paint Jobs

jtallen they are base in AK so I bet if you email them they could come up with something.

They use dura coat and that's good stuff.
11 years 11 months ago #11414

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Custom Paint Jobs

"
I don't want to hijack your thread but you may know, what is a good finish to use if you plan on lots of changes? We have four distinct seasons hear in Iowa, some winters there are feet of snow and some there is very little. What works best to change your rifles color often and cleans up easy so I don't get a buildup? Do they make anything should have been my first question I guess."

I can help you out. I base coated my rifle with Alumahyde II from Brownells. It's an epoxy based finish that is very resistant to solvents and fowling removers we use to clean the guns-which is very important, unless you want to re paint your rifle after each cleaning. It also comes in a spray can just like spray paint, which I like because that's really convenient-no need to bake parts or invest in a spray rig or an airbrush, just clean the gun really well with good ol' soap and water, dry it out completely, and then wipe it down with some acetone or thinner to get any residue left by the soap.Alumahyde takes awhile to cure...It can take up to two weeks to fully harden, so if you use it, make sure you do this project somewhere you won't mind letting your rifle sit for a few weeks. (in other words, the front yard is not a good plan.) I went with a coyote brown coat for my base coat-I find that color to be pretty universal for my A.O., but they make several colors to choose from. I've found it works best if you let the rifle sit out in the sun on a good hot day and get nice and warm, and then apply the alumahyde in thin coats about 15 minutes apart. This keeps it nice and uniform, and seems to speed up the curing process a bit. I would also suggest buying a set of extra spray nozzles, also available from Brownells for next to nothing...this stuff is on the thick side, and if you clog a nozzle, it's a lot easier just to replace it and keep going than to stop in the middle of a coat and try to clean it, which is all but impossible anyhow. On that note, (about this stuff being thick) make sure you shake the hell out of the can before you start, and after you shoot on a coat turn the can upside down and depress the nozzle until the line clears and nothing but air comes out so it won't get jammed up before the next coat.

You have choices from here...You can buy multiple cans of alumahyde and do various patterns with it, but if you want to change your pattern often then that would be pointless. If you DO decide to go this route, be aware that you'll need to spray the whole pattern before it has a chance to cure...for some reason this stuff doesn't do well with blending once it's dried.

My method is to use good old Krylon spray paint in camouflage colors to establish my pattern on top of the Alumahyde base coat. The solvents will still effect the Krylon, but I think it kind of adds to it when it does. With this method, you can get by with multiple patterns over the course of the year, and should you feel like the paint is getting to built up on the gun, you can cut the Krylon with thinner and wipe it off without effecting the Alumahyde base coat.

Paint stripper will remove the alumahyde, and some of the stronger, more aggressive bore solvents will cut it as well if you leave it on there and let it soak, but I find it to be a really strong finish once it's cured, and it's both pretty cheap and easy to apply...so it's a winner in my book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
11 years 11 months ago #11418

That sounds very much like what I'm looking for. I'll practice on my brother-in-laws HiPoint :lol:
I think I can find a base brown or tan that will fit for me then do the krylon thing for a green summer and a white winter. It is always nice to hear this stuff from guys that have done it not just sell it! Thanks for all your time.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 11 months ago #11419

If you would, keep me posted on how it works out for you and how you go about creating your patterns. I am always interested in learning new techniques and patterns for various environments...pics would be great.

I have an old Savage model 110 in .243 win.(earlier variant, before they devised the accu-trigger.) that a buddy of mine just outright gave me. Somewhere down the line in the rifle's life, something happened to the head space that has us all baffled, and it won't chamber anymore without forcing the bolt handle. Since it is cheaper to replace the gun than it would be to fix it, it has become my paint test rifle.
11 years 11 months ago #11421

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by Redscout02 on topic Re: Custom Paint Jobs

I would have to say you have my intereat Txlongshot but I do suck at painting things plus the live'n on the boat and no place to store stuff, but I wish I could.
11 years 11 months ago #11424

LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by jtallen83.
11 years 11 months ago #11426

OK, but I'm gonna have to go back to some advice I got once while being lost in a swamp in Florida and razz you a bit..."A half ass plan executed right the "F" now is better than a well thought out plan executed tomorrow."

Just jiving you...take your time, just needed that nostalgia moment...I can fart OPORDs in my sleep better than some of the pipe dreams I've been a part of in the sandbox, thought up by turds that got paid a lot more money than me because they were supposed to be smarter.

In the mean time, I have this cammo painting thin down tight...if you have any questions let me know.
11 years 11 months ago #11430

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!