Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Scary looking AR

• Thank you received: 85

Scary looking AR was created by Dabu

Hi everyone!

As my quest continues to make the best battle rifle, I've encountered the most difficult decision about it: cosmetics.

I'm asking for your advice and opinions on how to make my rifle scarier.

I want it to look scary just as a deterrent. I don't like it when other people touch my rifle.

I always put performance first in front of everything, So I won't install a spikey muzzle device that doesn't do anything.

I haven't painted anything yet, so everything's pretty much all stock black.

So please give me some ideas on a paint theme, or some scary hardware that won't effect the rifles performance.
11 years 1 week ago #18611

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic Scary looking AR

I can't stand it when someone touches my rifle either. I get particularly hostile when someone reaches for the scope.

Hmmm.. I've never been too big on painting a firearm. Rattle can camo can be useful, but I avoid the good stuff for something easier to strip off without hurting anything. it's starts looking like crap pretty quick if left on.
Then of course there are those film dips that would let you make your rifle look like something from a Danzig album, all burning, bleeding, demon skulls and stuff. It's hard to say, none of that would really intimidate me, and maybe I'm old fashion, but it never looks right to me.
You could look into one of those chainsaw bayonet doohickeys. I've been wanting to make one for shear novelty. Still not sure that will keep people from touching your rifle. These things may even attract greasy fingered, stump jumpin' jethro's. Maybe a label on the magwell?
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 1 week ago #18618

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scary looking AR

Nothing! You don't need a thing to make your AR scary, if looking at the front side of the flash hider doesn't scare them you just as well pull the trigger cause they ain't think'in right! ;)
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 week ago #18625

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Scary looking AR

Here's mine. Most guys won't go near it.
11 years 1 week ago #18626

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 51

Replied by VTIT on topic Scary looking AR

If that doesn't scare people away paint this ugly mug on the side of it:

11 years 1 week ago #18627

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Replied by Dabu on topic Scary looking AR

:laugh: Yea I don't think anyone thinks the skulls, demons and fire stuff is intimating.

My RRA LAR8 doesn't have a bayonet stud. And I don't feel like putting one on. If I wanted to bayonet someone I'd use my mosin-nagaunt those come with the cool bayonets ;)

I was thinking about somehow making all of it look like its made of carbon fiber. I don't know... :(
11 years 1 week ago #18628

I love the pink AR! But I'm sure I'd start questioning my own sexual preference if it was mine. I would lie to all my friends and say it was my sisters :laugh:

I said I wanted to make my rifle scary, not stupid. Sen. Fienstines face would make it more ugly than anything else.
Last edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Dabu. Reason: I can't spell :(
11 years 1 week ago #18630

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic Scary looking AR

Even though not necessary and not useful at distances, a laser dot on someone's chest is very intimidating to them, because they generally know what comes next. But that doesn't make your rifle more intimidating just laying there. Agree I HATE any one trying to touch my rifle or other firearm unasked. Generally I always consider whether that person would like a broken hand. But I end up saying, "don't touch it without my permission".Wonder if you could rig up a safe static charge generator to zap them? Probably not.
11 years 1 week ago #18631

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Scary looking AR

Do you want it to stand out at the range or disappear when you walk 15 feet away in the woods?
I've seen some of that elastic wrap stuff work well for camo and they make several types so you can easily change for the season. For extended shooting you have to keep it off the barrel and gas block but for hunting it wasn't an issue.
For me the best look is just plain old flat black, it just seems right.
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 1 week ago #18634

:unsure: I think I want it to stand out. I've heard of those elastic wrap stuff before. And I'd plan to use it if I ever took my rifle out hunting or something.
11 years 1 week ago #18644

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!