Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

POF Roller Cam Pin

• Thank you received: 556

POF Roller Cam Pin was created by jtallen83

Can the POF roller cam pin be used in my AR-10? If it can will it make any difference?
www.pof-usa.com/shop/index.php?id_product=38&controller=product
It sounds logical and seems a cheap enough part if it actually saves wear on the receiver, anyone here use one?
LIBERTY FIRST!
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by jtallen83.
10 years 7 months ago #28582

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic POF Roller Cam Pin

I think it can be used in an AR10, might have to clearance the carrier key. I'm still not sure what it rollers against though. The cam pin interacts between the bolt and carrier, not the upper.
Granted some uppers on some weapons will show a little mark from being a touch off spec one way or the other, but is rarely an issue. If everything is clearanced right, the cam pin should not hit the upper anyway( my ar10 don't my ar15's all do), so I don't think the roller would do anything for me.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 10 years 7 months ago by 13fcolt.
10 years 7 months ago #28593

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic POF Roller Cam Pin

I've never seen any marks in my upper. I was a little unclear what it "rolled" on myself. I could understand the roller thing if the top of the pin rolled separately from the bottom but with just the head rolling it had me puzzled.
LIBERTY FIRST!
10 years 7 months ago #28602

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic POF Roller Cam Pin

Here is the issue: The current sq design has been around a LONG LONG time. Changing it to a round design would be a minor issue and create a HUGE market for a upgrade. Why has this not happened?

Is this a fix for a non-problem?????
10 years 7 months ago #28606

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic POF Roller Cam Pin

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this, but I only just now saw it. I use a POF roller cam in my gun, so yes-it will drop right into an Armalite and run fine. As for rather or not it improves anything, it isn't going to make any huge difference in the performance of the gun. My action does feel ever so slightly smoother when I charge the gun, but that is not the only mod I have under the hood and I cannot give it all of the credit there. I am shooting my gun suppressed about 95% of the time, and that means my whole bolt carrier takes a bit more of a beating. A nice, smooth ball bearing roller with a rounded surface vs a rectangular cam pin just seemed like a very logical and practical "roger that" from my perspective...I cannot say for certain it is preventing wear in my rifle, nor how much longer the rifle will last because of it, but the theory was sound enough for me to buy it, and I have never had any issues due to it.
10 years 2 months ago #34547

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by SEMPERFIDOC on topic POF Roller Cam Pin

I know this is a 4 month old thread, but thought Id chime in on it anyways.
The POF Roller Cam Pin is a great and simple upgrade to any PD or DI AR platform. Being NP3 coated, theres really no worry about keeping that lubed and it will reduce friction between contact surfaces, if there are any. If your current AR is fairly new, then you may not have any hot spots yet between the bolt carrier and upper, but over time, than can start. For some, the price is a factor in not upgrading this part, but I feel it a great designed product and it has its place in the AR. Just my 2 cents....

DOC Jr
10 years 2 months ago #34552

Here is my challenge:

Going roller over just round or square provides increased, better, keener, faster, jump higher, ______ and _______, ______ etc. On that I am sold

This brings on 2 questions:

1) Is the increase in overall performance factor(s) significant (this would be measured on an order of magnitude)?

2) If the answer is yes to the above then why has this not become a standard modification in high use weaponry such as military?

Don't anyone get me wrong I am not saying NAY on this mod and in fact I thinking of doing it myself, why, cause I think its better, not sure how much, but I like it...
10 years 2 months ago #34561

:busted:

I think the increased efficiency of the bolt carrier would be a very difficult measurement. Given the fact that the original system isn't really an issue, makes warranting the upgrade more of a personal desire, rather than a necessity. BUT, ever since the original "Eugene Stoner" AR platform has been greatly modified from the 20" down to smaller barrel lengths, the gas pressures have significantly gone up, creating a ripple effect of new stresses and hot spots within the AR that weren't originally there. This doesn't apply to the Piston operated systems, but rather the DI systems. So I personally think, for good measure, that on any 18" and below DI-AR system could benefit from the Roller Cam upgrade.

DOC Jr
10 years 2 months ago #34566

I CANNOT argue with you thinking and certainly jives with mine. There is an old saying: 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. While I believe in that I also firmly believe that it has to be balanced with performance factors that lend to longer lifecycle, increased reliability, lowered maintenance requirements and finally superior operation.

I think the value and thinking behind the roller cam pin warrants its use at first view. I would sure like to see some test results that reflect a long use cycle, up in the 25,000 round area.

Sorry, its just the ole engineer in me...
10 years 2 months ago #34569

I completely concur with your thoughts, and since you're an Engineer, you'll appreciate this....the Roller cam vs the original system has more moving parts and a wheel that could potentially be susceptible to seizing, so you could argue that adding this upgrade also adds more variables that could fail...fortunately, the Roller Cam has had great success and works well. But like any moving part, if not taken care of, it will eventually meet with disaster.

I have heard of one scenario where the bearing froze, but the unit was also neglected and hadn't been cleaned for a very long time.
10 years 2 months ago #34572

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!