Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

AR-10 A2 to Carbine stock conversion

• Thank you received: 1

AR-10 A2 to Carbine stock conversion was created by why2dogs

Bought a 16" AR-10 with the standard A2 stock. I decided to replace the stock with a carbine CTR Magpul stock. I bought the stock, Enidine 308 carbine buffer, tuned spring and carbine tube. Looks great, but took her to the range this morning and experienced short cycling issues. The BCG doesn't cycle back far enough to pick up the new round. Any suggestions?
11 years 5 months ago #12436

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: AR-10 A2 to Carbine stock conversion

My initial guess is the Enidine buffer and tuned spring combination you're currently using is too stiff. Try changing them out. I would start with the buffer - install a standard AR10 carbine buffer and see if that corrects the problem.

A secondary source could be the ammo you were using. Had you used it before when the rifle had a fixed stock?
RLTW
11 years 5 months ago #12444

Replied by why2dogs on topic Re: AR-10 A2 to Carbine stock conversion

Update.... I didn't have a carbine buffer for a 308, as I converted this from a A2 stock. I have since learned that there are 2 different length buffers; a 3-1/4" and 2-1/2". The Enidine buffer I have is the longer of the 2. As a result, the BCG was not cycling all the way back. BCG, spring and buffer were bottoming out in the tube. Could have been really bad with a cheap tube. The bolt catch was hooking the carrier, not the bolt. My bad for not noticing this. Had my fingers in the chamber clearing a jam. This too could have been bad. All I had to do was slap the side of the rifle and the BCG would slam shut. Talked with the outfit that sold me the tube, spring and buffer and they are swapping the buffers for me. Even paying return shipping. Can't ask for much more that that. I would caution anyone looking to convert their fixed stock to collapsible, to do your research. The one I had is advertised as for "308 carbine with retractable stock". Sounds like a good fit, right? The one I actually need is advertised as "shorty". Anyhow; all should be well in a couple of days. Thanks for the reply!!!
11 years 5 months ago #12445

Two shots. One of the BCG not retracted far enough, but caught on the catch by the carrier. Other is just a picture of the stock on the rifle. Also I forgot to mention LebbenB, that I was using Hornady 168gr A-Max. AND that I had not fired the rifle before the conversion. Just made the purchase via GB.com lightly used. So.....what have I learned? Function check and test fire used gun as is. Perform detailed inspection and function check after modifications. Should have seen this before hitting the range. I have plastic 223 rounds for function check on my 223/556 AR rifles. Gonna get some in 308.

Pictures not uploading....sorry!
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by why2dogs. Reason: Files would not upload!
11 years 5 months ago #12446

Fourth try to upload....never mind....
11 years 5 months ago #12447

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: AR-10 A2 to Carbine stock conversion

I haven't been able to do anything with a picture either, glad it isn't just me :S :pinch: :blush: Computers.... you have to love to hate them :angry:
Le us know how you like it when you get things running. I'm thinking of the same conversion buy all I ever hear of is problems. I can sure see some big benefits for adjustability as long as it doesn't mess with my AR-10's 100% function rate! B)
LIBERTY FIRST!
11 years 5 months ago #12450

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!