Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

• Thank you received: 1

ar10 stock same as ar 15 ? was created by larrygombos

looking for a adjustible stock for my ar10 some on armalites site are for both ar15 and ar10 are the same?
11 years 3 months ago #13461

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

I'm not certain but I don't believe so Larry.

If I remember right, in the choices for which rifle parts you want to look at, you need to choose AR10 and I believe there is only 1 choice for OUR rifle. It may be a different colors but as far as the adjustable stock goes, I remember only seeing one choice for like $115 bucks.

One of the more experienced in weapons parts guys on here might prove me wrong but I believe they are not the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larrygombos
11 years 3 months ago #13462

• Thank you received: 175

Replied by Sharkey on topic ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

I just double checked this LG and you choose "replacement parts" and then "butt stock kits" and then choose between the M15 kits or the AR10 kits.

There IS a difference as far as the Armalite site shows at least. :)
11 years 3 months ago #13466

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

The difference is the buffer and carrier length. Armalites carbine buffer for the AR10 is a smige longer than an AR15's, plus it is getting pushed back further- longer cartridge = longer travel. This means using armalites carbine tube and stock, which is longer to match, but if you use an AR15 stock on an AR10 buffer tube, the tube will protrude when fully collapsed.
One aftermarket upgrade I frequently recommend is a heavy buffer. It is expensive but opens up an huge amount of flexibility when it comes time to choosing a stock because with this buffer you can use AR15 or AR10 stocks, rifle or carbine length receiver extensions.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The top is a standard AR15 carbine H3 buffer, the bottom is a CAR-10XH (extra heavy) from heavybuffers.com
I do not have one on hand to measure, but I think the armalite carbine buffer is about 1/8 in longer than the H3.
I don't work for heavybuffers, I do enjoy the product as it allowed me to run a magpul ubr stock on my rig.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by 13fcolt. Reason: I left a piece out
11 years 3 months ago #13487

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

Larry, do you currently have a fixed stock on your AR10 or the M4-style collapsible stock?
RLTW
11 years 3 months ago #13493

• Thank you received: 171

Replied by 13fcolt on topic ar10 stock same as ar 15 ?

yeah.. I probably should have asked that first. I thought when he said adjustable he meant collapsible.
ArmaLite Super SASS for sale W/ extras. PM for details.
11 years 3 months ago #13499

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!