Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Magpul buttstock problem

• Thank you received: 0

Magpul buttstock problem was created by controls2750

Recently put a AR10 magpul stock on my ar10t, and the bolt will no longer travel far enough to cycle a round. Factory a2 stock, buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring. Replace per instructions from magpul. Seems to me that the buffer is too long now. Any suggestions, or do i need to replace or modify buffer?
15 years 5 months ago #683

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Magpul buttstock problem

Need to know which stock from Magpul. If you go from A2 stock to carbine for example, you'll definately have length problems. Also, have ye sent them a note about it?
15 years 5 months ago #684

Replied by blkgnmn on topic Re:Magpul buttstock problem

The tube depth of both the original stock and the Magpul must be the same. If you use a measuring device and measure the tube depth on the Magpul it will probably be different, shorter or longer will change the cycle of the bolt. If you find the tube of the Magpul to be longer than your factory A2, you could add a piece of material the same inside diameter of the tube and the length of the material would need to be the difference between the A2 and Magpul. For example: If the tube depth in the Magpul is 1" longer, then the material would need to be 1" long. If you find the tube in the Magpul to be shorter, I would send it back to Magpul, or call their customer service for advice.
15 years 5 months ago #689

Replied by navypbr on topic Re:Magpul buttstock problem

Hey All,
I think I found the problem. I am modifying my A4 into a poor-man's SASS. Today, I installed the Magpul stock. The instructions call for the stock A2 tube assembly. My A4 came with the stock tube so I was set to go. I installed the stock, assumed the prone position to adjust for my cheek weld. Afterwards, I had problems with the action. Since my rifle was working fine before the install, it was apparent that something to do with the install was the problem. It took a few minutes to find that the problem was the charging handle travel. The stock works fine without the cheek pad raised, but restricts the charging handle travel by about a half inch if it is raised at all. Obviously, it was designed for the AR15. Anyhoo, I'm just going to relieve the leading edge of the cheek pad by about a half and inch and everything will be fine.
Ratman
15 years 5 months ago #693

The Magpul in his picture is the same as I just got. It doesn't come with a tube, but specifies that you must use a stock A2 tube assembly. Fortunately, my A4 came with the stock A2 stuff so the change was easy. This model is not collapsible either. You probably already knew all this stuff-just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.
Ratman
15 years 5 months ago #694

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Magpul buttstock problem

Dremel Power! J/K :) Glad you found the problem.
15 years 5 months ago #696

I guess we really found the solution. The problem is sloppy engineering followed by unethical marketing! Good thing we have Yankee ingenuity on our side!! And yes, thank God for the Dremel!
Ratman
15 years 5 months ago #698

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!