Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

• Thank you received: 132

Anyone have a can on their AR-10? was created by mlotziii

I am very interested in purchasing a suppressor for my AR-10 for several reasons including improved accuracy, and reduced muzzle blast. I'd love to hear from someone who has one on their AR-10 their likes and dislikes.

Thanks!
15 years 4 months ago #605

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

can a suppressor really make it more accurate?
15 years 4 months ago #608

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I looked into this question for a good while, and decided what I would settle for wasn't in my budget. Funding aside, the conclusion I came to would have been getting the barrel profiled and mounting the AAC SCAR-Heavy SD.

www.advanced-armament.com/scar_h_sd.asp

The adjustable zero-shift of the M.I.T.E.R. system sounded most appealing.

I may revisit the question next year after tax time but will probably be looking to mount on a different rifle, I couldn't be more pleased with the SASS Carbine Hybrid in it's current configuration, not in a hurry to change it.
15 years 4 months ago #611

I definately need to give that rifle a nicer name than "SASS Carbine Hybrid" :p Can you tell I work with people who "have no sense of humor that we are aware of"?
15 years 4 months ago #612

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

crux wrote:
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 10 months ago #1469

We're getting well off topic I suppose, but as I think about what you wrote, it's really an AR10(T)CB (or just AR10TCB). Without the adjustible gas system it's basically a 16" (T) with an aluminum quad rail instead of an plain aluminum tube. Then again it's kind of cool that it was part of a very limited run of match 16" uppers for the SASS competition. I'll prolly just tell casual askers (AR10s do get noticed at the range) that it's a 16" (T), and save the details for folks who are interested, or who point out that there are no 16" (T) rifles :)
14 years 10 months ago #1470

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

your right, it was off topic, sorry.

ON topic, I talked to Edge the other day, he has a YHM on one of his bolts, he said he really likes it, so you might talk to him.
As for improving the accuracy, everything I have read goes the opposite, it doesn't change the zero enough to notice, until you get out past 300 yrds, then you have to compensate for it.
At least that is what have read about one on a SASS and a few others including a couple of bolts.
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
Last edit: 14 years 10 months ago by BUILDING MY SASS.
14 years 10 months ago #1472

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

As BMS said, I do have the Yankee Hill Machine 7.62 Stainless quick detach. I am very happy with it. I use it on both my bolt gun and on my AR's, both .223 and .308. It is very quite on my bolt gun. Basically all you hear is the sonic crack. I can shoot it comfortably without hearing protection. On the AR's it is slightly louder, just because some gas escapes through the action area of the AR's. I can shoot the AR's without hearing protection, but my right ear suffers a little bit. Probably because its closest to the ejection port.

One thing you'll probably want is a "Gas Buster" charging handle. I don't notice much gas in the .223 AR's when the can is mounted, but I do get some gas in the face every now and then with the can mounted on the .308. I'll probably get the "gas buster" sometime soon.

As far as accuracy goes, the can is neglegable. In fact it may even improve your groups. Mine does and it speeds up the bullet. Everyone else I know who has a suppressor has said the same thing. A possibility of this could stem from the shooter not "flinching" with the can on, because not only does the can reduce noise, but it reduces recoil. Some say that it changes their POI. Mine does not, at least not on my bolt gun. I haven't tested it enough on my AR to see, as I mainly use it on the bolt gun. I think it just depends on the gun and the type of barrel. My bolt gun is a custom built and has an excellent quality barrel on it.

If I can get out and shoot this weekend, I'll stick the suppressor on my AR and then take it off and see if my POI has changed. I've been meaning to do this anyway.
14 years 10 months ago #1476

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by c3guns on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I will agree with the previous post regarding suppressors, accuracy and YHM cans. I am a class III dealer and I own "samples" of the YHM .30 and the AAC 762SD. The SD is currently on my Rem 700 LTR and I am going to try the YHM on my newly acquired AR10 SASS this weekend.

If the YHM .30 can is anything like the 5.56 versions, it is just a teenie-weenie bit louder than its AAC counterpart and a whole lot cheaper. The AAC mounts are a little more elegant in appearance and execution, but the YHM mount functions fine and is again, cheaper.

I've found that a good suppressor almost always increases accuracy on most hosts due to the stabilization of the gases following the bullet out of the muzzle. My 700LTR is unbelievably accurate with the can on it shooting Federal Gold Medal Match 168gr. I expect the SASS to be no less spectacular.

FWIW.
14 years 9 months ago #1666

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

If cans are enhance accuracy I have never seen one at a benchrest match or the palma matches or at Perry. They are legal to use on bench rest and highpower match rifles. I challenge any of you all to go and win the NATs with a can on the barrel. It aint going to happen. I'm calling out the BS flag on this one.MSH
14 years 9 months ago #1667

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!