Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I quote from Patrick Sweeney (guns and ammo 2008 book of the AR-15)on the supper sass with the AAC suppressor pg51, does it change the zero, answer- A bit, but unless you're trying to show off by shooting soda cans at 300 yards it's not enough to really matter. Interpretation-a man sized target no, pin point accuracy, probably. I may be wrong on this, but when you restrict the gases, you change the ballistic coefficient of the shell (bullet)Edge was going to do the actual test, have to ask him how it turned out.
As for improving the accuracy, everything I have read goes the opposite, it doesn't change the zero enough to notice, until you get out past 300 yrds, then you have to compensate for it.
But since I don't have one (yet) I just go by what I read.
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 9 months ago #1668

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

Tell him to bring it on down to AMU and show us. We have a wide selection of cans and some of the best smiths supporting AMU and the teems. I want to see that new world record shot with a can on the rifle. At the best 90% of the tactical stuff has an impact shift of 5" at 200 yards, and its usually at 5 o clock and I have seen no groups bettered with the cans on. With several thousand rounds every week on the 110 SASS set up and the M24s and several other rifles we can come close but we aint there yet. The over pressure of the autoloaders gas system requires it to have to be tuned every few rounds. We've had engineers and all kinds of companys adderss this issue but none have fixed the problems with changing accuracy. The major problem is the heat that can generates changes the size of the exit and offace hole every shot. The thing just moves around unevenly due to the thermal dymanics of the materials used. The carbon build up shifts all the time. Throw out 80% of these magizine articals, its ink on paper. Bring us the match winners using a can, I will arange an audition with the army.MSH
14 years 9 months ago #1669

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I'm not sure where this is going, as I could care less about 30 lb. bench rest guns.

The fact is that 98% of the time a suppressor will improve your groups. I've seen it over and over again. I have heard about a few that do not and it's usually something wrong with the can or the way it was mounted.

If we're talking semi-auto's, then we've got totally different issues as every semi-auto will degrade in accuracy the more it is shot, with or without a suppressor. It's just the nature of the semi, with all it parts, etc. compared to a bolt gun.

The reason most see a shift in POI downward when a can is off and then put on, is because suppressors generally speed up a bullet. Because of the higher velocity, your impact is lower and you'll need to compensate for this if shooting without a can and then with a can.

On my bolt gun (GA Precision built) I have seen an improvement on my group sizes, all the way out to 1000 yards. Is it much? No, but then this is a GA Precision rifle, it doesn't need much more improvement! Do I measure my groups continuously, like bench rest shooters? No....this rifle is purposely built to be hauled around in "rough" conditions and be able to hit "minute of man" at extended ranges. Will I be able to beat a 30 lb. bolted to the bench, bench rest gun in a thousand yard shoot off? NO! Granted I do not know much about benchrest shooting. It seems a bit silly to me. I like "practical" rifles that I can go rappel off a cliff with.

In the next month or so, I'll try to get out and shoot some groups at 300 yards both suppressed and un-suppressed, then report back on my findings.
14 years 9 months ago #1670

Replied by Edge on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

Some more random thoughts on the matter.

I do believe that most suppressors can tighten up group size. But another aspect of having a suppressor is that it makes the shooter more accurate. What I mean by this is a suppressor takes the "edge" out of people when it comes to flinching because of noise, recoil or both. There are a lot of people who just can not get over this 'psycological' effect that loud noise and sharp recoil has on them.

I noticed a big difference when my team mates and I went from no suppressor to having suppressors when doing "house clearing" drills/shoots. When the loud noise was taken out of the equation, we were able to communicate better, shoot better, and clear the rooms more efficiently. It was a BIG eye opener to me and has convinced me of the value of having a suppressor.

I will say that a good barrel should not be affected by a suppressor. If it shoots good to begin with, then a suppressor is not going to diminish its capabilities.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Edge.
14 years 8 months ago #1671

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

The noise is the key, because we shoot these off of machine rest without the shooter with a remote trigger. I see diferent groups and all sorts of deviations. Now cans will act like a barrel tuner but every time you remove it that changes.MSH
14 years 8 months ago #1672

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

MSH wrote:
Do you see much value then in AAC's MITER adjustment system?
14 years 8 months ago #1676

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

It seems to be a copy of the surfire system. I'm machineing an o-ring mount system now to see if that will dampen the overpressure slap and hope that will help.
14 years 8 months ago #1677

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I am shooting my Armalite AR-10 with a Gemtech HVT-QD can. I do indeed seem to get better groups when I use the can, but I cannot really point to anything definitive as to a good reason for this. I do know that the suppressor boosts the velocity of the round slightly, and I have a theory that the extra weight out there on the end of the barrel might have something to do with it as well,but I cannot say with any certainty why the accuracy improves...but I swear I am telling the truth.
As far as noise reduction goes, it is phenomenal. With supersonic loads (I favor Black Hills 175 grain Match.) It reduces the noise signature down to what you could expect from a 22LR, perhaps slightly louder but not much. (this effect has a lot to do with what is around...An open area dissipates the sound away better than heavy woods, which deflects the sound back towards the shooter.)
I have also shot some Lapua 200gn. sub sonic loads through it as well. These rounds are extremely quiet, reducing the sound signature to what you can expect from an adult airgun. The downside of these rounds is that they only have just over 1000 FPS muzzle velocity, and as such are not very accurate outside of around 70 meters. I would also not trust these rounds in terms of terminal ballistics. I'm sure they would kill a terrorist with a head shot at 50 yards, but I wouldn't trust them on a feral boar.They also cost about 60 bucks for a 20 round box...not very practical. So, since the range and knockdown power don't outweigh the price, I don't find them to be practical for what most of us would consider practical uses.
As for the can, I love it. I'd recommend one for anyone who loves their ears, and wants to keep them in top function!
12 years 10 months ago #7436

Replied by mtrmn on topic Re: Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I just went through all the crap to get a suppressor on my Bushy BAR10-about 6 months wait. Wish I'd had one all along, need one on every gun I have but can't afford it. I bought a YHM 762 Titanium QD with enough flash hider mounts to put it on all my AR15's as well. The 30 cal suppressor works just as well on the 556's, maybe even better but it may be my imagination as well since I don't have any sound testing equipment.

I did go with a heavier buffer from Heavybuffers.com and it reduced the recoil and cycle rate on my BAR10. I do not have an adjustable gas block.

I have not done enough testing to see if my groups actually improved, but I bet they do just because I don't have to contend with all that dam noise. Makes my shooting a lot more enjoyable. Plus the neighbors are enjoying it I'm sure--that's the main reason I wanted one, so they wouldn't worry about me burning off a couple hundred rounds during a day's shooting.

I tried some subsonic rounds just for curiosity's sake but I have no practical use for them. They were stupid quiet-the most noise was from the action partially opening and slamming back shut. The normal full power ammo sounds about like a 22LR high velocity round or maybe just a tad louder. I have determined that most of this noise is the bullet breaking the sound barrier because I can stand about 20 yards off to the side of my shooting range behind a berm at the 50 yd line and listen to the shot being fired from the bench. I can hear absolutely zero noise from the shooter's position 50 yds away--it's all coming from the closest point in the bullet's flight path out on the range and is just as loud as it is when I'm shooting the gun myself. So when they say it will mask the position of the shooter they are correct unless the "hearer, enemy, zombie, whatever" is very close to the shooter's position.

POI shift is minimal at a little over 1" at 100 yds and is repeatable. The titanium version is worth the extra money for the weight savings and I'm sure a heavier can would shift POI more than mine. The QD feature is really nice so I can swap it onto each gun with an adapter. Takes about 3 turns and it's on/off, and the ratchet keeps it from backing off--never had to re-tighten it so far.
12 years 4 months ago #9140

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Gofast12 on topic Re:Anyone have a can on their AR-10?

I'm new to this forum but use suppressors (cans) on most of my 762/308 builds. I am in the process of finishing up a 2nd AR10T/SASS build and have set it up with an AAC 762SD-N6 which I am happy with. I previously completed a build with a AR10T carbine and currently run a Gemtech HVT QD can (no adjust. gas block.) It runs without issue and is partial to 168 grn. cartridges. The 20" is quieter, probably due to the adjustable gas system. There is a minor POI shift at approximately 200 yards but it is not concerning. More so with the HVT. I don't plan on shooting any further as I'm neither a competetion shooter nor a "ninja." Of course both cans are quieter on my bolt guns (300 blackout and rem 700)-hence the QD function being important... The HVT is louder than the 762SD-N6 but both are fun to shoot. For those looking for the perfect can for a AR10, it really comes down to what you want to spend for the equipment. I'll take some photos next range trip of both.
12 years 4 months ago #9146

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!