Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

D Day, 6 June 1944

• Thank you received: 529

D Day, 6 June 1944 was created by OleCowboy

In another thread D Day was brought up ( www.ar10t.com/forums/members-only-area/1...eting?start=10#17777 ). Last year I was asked to write a story about it for two of the papers I write for. Some of you may find it interesting:

"D Day, 6 June 1944

Code-named: “Operation Overlord”. Mission: “…to mount and carry out an operation with forces and equipment established in the United Kingdom… to secure a lodgment area on the Continent from which further offensive operations can be developed.” (taken from the original Operations Order)

Later in life General Eisenhower returned to France and said this while overlooking Omaha Beach: “ . . . these men came here - British and our allies, and Americans - to storm these beaches for one purpose only, not to gain anything for ourselves, not to fulfill any ambitions that America had for conquest, but just to preserve freedom . . . Many thousands of men have died for such ideals as these . . . but these young boys . . . were cut off in their prime . . . I devoutly hope that we will never again have to see such scenes as these. I think and hope, and pray, that humanity will have learned . . . we must find some way . . . to gain an eternal peace for this world.”

This course of history was altered that fateful day, the world and the events following were all shaped by those brave soldiers who turned the tide and won the European war beginning on those beach’s. However, not all 150,000 brave soldiers landed at Normandy. In fact, one of the wars most influential and successful Generals was not there.

General George S. Patton was sitting on the shores of England, the Commander of a fake Army, known as the First United States Army Group, a purely fabricated Army engaged in Operation Quicksilver. Quicksilver was a part of the most successful deception of WWII. The purpose of these plans and operations was to deceive, and cloak the massive build up of men and supplies needed for D Day. General Patton was chosen by General Eisenhower to Command this fictitious Army. Patton was chosen because of his strength as a Commander and he was feared by the Germans. It was believed the Germans would know that any major invasion would be led by General Patton himself. Due to Patton’s fame, the Germans would be able to track and know his location. The result was the Allies caught the Germans asleep at the wheel and totally flatfooted and Patton in his absence might well be the ghost hero of D Day. It took Germany’s 2nd Waffen SS Division 2 weeks to reach the front lines when had they been prepared it would have taken them only 2 days.

My own father spent 4 years in the Pacific in WWII then sent to Russian language school and subsequently assigned as a Commander in the OSI in post war Germany. He spoke many times of what would have happened had we not won the war and been successful on D Day. We feared the Russians would possibly split the European Continent with the Germans. It was generally felt the Germans would succumb to communism with the Russians influence and strength. Imagine the world today with complete communist rule across all of Europe. How might the global stage evolved over that time? Who would be actors today and most of all where would America be?

On 6 June look at our flag of Stars and Stripes and give thanks for the finest military the world has ever known and their many and great deeds that have changed the course of history for the betterment of all.

The writer, Major, US Army (RETIRED) had the honor to serve under Major General George S Patton (General Patton’s son), Commander, 2nd Armored Division, Ft Hood, Texas, 1975 and remained in contact with him thru correspondence until his death 30 Jun 2004. He was the image of his father and I am proud to have served with him and known his personally."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Siscowet
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by OleCowboy.
11 years 1 month ago #17776

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!