Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Mini-sagas of a modern halfbreed.

• Thank you received: 23

Mini-sagas of a modern halfbreed. was created by funfred

Okay, so I've read every entry in Tales from the Tall Grass and, following a hint from Libertarian623, here I am...

As the title might suggest, I'm half Scandinavian. Norwegian to be precise, but I had hoped not to sound like I was bragging. :silly:
Also, as the title might suggest, I have something flowing through my vanes, other than salt, that tells of adventurous and fearless blood. Mind you, that does not mean reckless (or wreckless, as my profile pics might suggest). I just have a high risk tolerance.

Between enthusiastically experiencing this world as opportunities of interest presented themselves, and being gifted with an innate intellect combined with very capable motor coordination, I have survived many a damaging circumstance on a number of occasions. I land on my feet. Most would ascribe it to luck.

My upbringing was that of a Naval Officer's brat. The military had/has always fascinated me and forged a lot of my character. Such was the background that led to my enlistment...along with the fact I couldn't find a job washing dishes, let alone finding one with a future. It was that which brought me into the adult world and sealed a future far from seeking out my own desires and adventures. It was not that of a battle-hardened warrior with a wealth of deadly experience but that of an honorable individual willing to make sacrifices for the benefit of others.
I had no combat engagements during my enlistment though we did get shot at.

My post-enlistment venture into the Merchant Marine under the employ of NAVSEA required us to be in theater and occasionally playing bait. The one I signed up for, the other I did not.
Good times, in general.

Now that I've been married for 15 years, my adventurous drive has become less random, esoteric pursuits not withstanding. My professional life is in a dormant state, my wife is the bread earner, and I'm more or less free to pursue those things that previous employment had hindered. Albeit, I still have to answer to someone other than myself.

Life is a two-edged sword. My gifts are also a curse. Capable of anything, praise for being such a bright child was frequently bestowed upon me. I was a precocious little bastard. The bitter truth of it was that no one bothered to offer guidance for this wealth of potential. Um, HELLO?!? Whether it's a Yugo or a Lamborghini, someone has to take control.

I learned to live by wit, and I chose my own path w/o guidance other than that which would be experienced by a growing child with absent counsel...virtually none. Needless to say, my prospects were slim. I dilly-dallied in all manner of folly and fortune as my investment efforts weren't big enough to sustain pursuit without support. I could have been a TopGun, a neurosurgeon, an astrophysicist...
But, no. I wanted excitement and immediate gratification - the result, I believe, of not being taught how to invest my efforts towards my future.

I have little discipline from a casual observer's viewpoint. It would be very wrong of them to think that if they saw me engage in something that captures my interest, however. At those times, I have a cause. Me, with a cause, is a formidable combination. Guidance and direction, given in discipline, would have made me an ultimate whatever. I wanted to be a SEAL. That didn't happen...probably a good thing. I would have jumped the fence after my enlistment to continue that line of work wherever it payed well.

I've become a bit jaded, but I'm trying not to let that interfere with the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

So, as I progress into some short stories, allow that I've still not found that which I seek...and I know not what it is.

As it has to do with other's stories here in the Tall Grass, I'm not worthy!
I'm awed by their sense of life and purpose. The privilege of being a recipient of those stories is an honor. You guys, (you know who you are), are real human beings...examples of what make us a noble species.
I found jt's posts particularly entertaining while they exemplified the failings of other less-than-human individuals and he, still, maintained his composure. I would've snapped...a product of my zero discipline. (I wanted out of my 5 year enlistment 2 years into it...meaning, I no longer gave a f***).

Just catchin' up...to answer the question of awkwardness when thanked for being a Veteran (or thanked for anything), I, too, suffered for a means to rationalize a response.
You made a sacrifice for their benefit and if their feelings need to be revealed, you've become their soundboard. Consider that they're also thankful for a place to personally express their appreciation when they offer said thanks and you're the one that can validate that thankfulness.
So, just say "you're welcome". If you wish to be thankful for their appreciation, add your own "thank you". Both parties will have displayed their mutual respect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, Libertarian623
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by funfred.
9 years 5 months ago #43007

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!