Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

• Thank you received: 1

Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard was created by adminv15

Alright! This weeks topic will surely bring about interest from a number of people. The items that have the largest visual impact on the rifle and the least impact on precision would be the grip, buttstock, and handguard. They all effect the accuracy and how well we can shoot but they are not going to play a role in how consistent the bullet behaves.

So this week please throw out your suggestions on buttstock, grip, and handguard configurations that would truly be fit for the Ultimate AR-10!
15 years 5 months ago #677

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

For the stock,
I'm a fan of the Magpul UBR, primarly for the storage compartment, and offering differing LoP with decent precision, but still leaving a uniform cheek rest no matter what length it is set to. The only thing it could use is an option to attach an elevation pad for the cheek rest.

Handguard I prefer a sturdy (aluminum) free floated quad rail. It allows for the greatest diversity of equipment mounting options, and generally allows good ventilation for the barrel, and of course, free floating leaves the barrel free to do it's thing without interference from loads placed on the handguard.

Grip, No opinion. The traditional grip used on many AR10s suits me fine.
15 years 5 months ago #678

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by donkey1984 on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

i agree with everything crux said except the grip. i like the ergo tactical grip.
15 years 5 months ago #681

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Bad Mojo on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

The Magpul PSR stock because a precision sniper rifle should have a precision sniper stock. It's ability to function as a "battle rifle" is secondary to its ability to shoot multiple point targets at 1,000+ meters. The stock choice should reflect that IMO. From a spec ops perspective, I don't plan on buttstroking anyone nor do I anticipate the need for a collapsible stock i.e room entry or CQB. If that became necessary, I would use a different weapon altogether. If I had to go with a collapsible stock on a long range shooter, I would probably go with the UBR though (for lack of other options as much as anything else).
For the pistol grip, I would choose a PSG1 style grip such as the Sure Grip ERGO AR10. I have such a grip on one of my AR15s and I like it alot for its ability to provide a steadier shooting position especially from the prone position.
Handguards/forends are a little tougher choice. I honestly like the smooth round aluminum handguards that the rifle came with although I wish they were stippled heavily. A rail system would allow the attachment of a few devices but I'm not sure what you would want/need to attach. A bipod is the only thing I could see as being useful and that mounts to the original free floater handguard just fine. Lasers and flashlights? probably not. This is a tactical weapon and these things are not tactical on a long range shooter. Maybe an infrared laser sight if I was authorized to have one (but I'm not) and even that can be extremely untactical if the enemy is sporting NVGs. I'm voting for the original, round, aluminum, hand guards with extensive stippling to provide a better grip. That is exactly what I would put on my rifle even if money were no object.
15 years 4 months ago #728

Replied by Milgram on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

If you are making a sniper type, go with the Magpul PRS. The ability to adjust it is very nice. If you are doing a carbine or a battle rifle, the Magpul UBR is much better because it is collapsible.

I personally like Magpul's pistol grips. They are the most comfortable for my hand, but really this is a personal choice. If you like the Ergo grip, go with it.

Since this is the ultimate AR10 (and price is not an issue), you might as well go with the rails. They offer infinite options, and there are plenty of brands that make their rail systems free float. At a minimum the hand guard should have a rail along the top so that you can attach a night vision system ahead of the scope.

If you go with the carbine, a free float rail is the only way to go since at a minimum you will want to put on a light and a forward grip.
15 years 4 months ago #797

Replied by OldJarhead on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

PRS Stock, grip could go Magpul or Ergo. The front end should be a SWS Model E1 (Superior Weapons Systems). Both my pennies worth.
15 years 4 months ago #800

Replied by Bad Mojo on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

Forends with picatinny rails all over them just feel uncomfortable in my hands, especially in a precision shooting weapon. They look cool and all and they're useful on certain weapons but my ultimate AR10 wouldn't have them. Yours can. My ultimate urban terrain AR15 might have them. It would also have a silencer and a PVS14 mounted behind a red dot scope mounted on quick detach/return to zero style scope mounts. If money and legalities were no object, it would have a thermal scope instead of/as well as the PVS14 set-up for operating in smoke filled city environments.
15 years 4 months ago #807

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Week 5 - Buttstock, Pistol Grip & Handguard

OK, after reading back on some of this, since we are going forward, I will put in my two cents worth.....

STOCK.... I have agree and go with the UBR or PRS, either would be acceptable on such a weapon, but being it is to have two uppers, I think the UBR would be the logical one..

GRIP...Well recently I installed the Hogue overmolded grip on my AR-10 A4 CB, and I have to say that it is a great grip and I think it even helped improved on my accuracy, being it was a more comfortable grip and gave me more stability in handling my weapon.

HANDGUARD...Well being I have the MI drop-in for mine, NO, I am not going to suggest it :whistle: , I am going to say that being I have not alot of "hands on" experience with the Free-Float handguards, other than the research, I am going to say The LaRue Tactical Free Float Hand Guard, in my opinion it is one of the best and durable built HGs on the market... B)

So that is my input,,,,,,,on this subject, what is nest... ;)
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 2 months ago #2978

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!