Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

My new build 14.5" carbine

• Thank you received: 0

My new build 14.5" carbine was created by thinwater

14.5," PRI Brake, troy Rail Tactical machining (Pre release) upper and lower in armalite pattern that accepts DPMS style P mags, Mag Pull stock and grip, Geissele trigger. This thing runs like a sewing machine. Recoil is not much more than an AR 15.

We are moving to a larger building so there will be several months before we are able to release this. It will be worth the wait.
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 2 weeks ago #7272

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: My new build 14.5" carbine

Nice looking rig. Tell me a bit more about the barrel - maker, type of steel and chrome lined or not. And what type of Geissele did you install? Also any idea of a price yet?

Leb
RLTW
13 years 2 weeks ago #7273

Replied by thinwater on topic Re: My new build 14.5" carbine

The trigger is a single stage with a really short re set. It is very fast. The barrel is a ballistic advantage in .308 and not chrome lined. It was turned on a Wilson match grade blank, 1/10 twist. We have not gotten the machine times down to deturmine any pricing yet.
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 2 weeks ago #7275

Thanks much for the additional info. Did I understand your first post correctly in that the rifle is built using the KAC spec vs Armalite?
RLTW
13 years 2 weeks ago #7280

It fits Armalite, except the mag. That it the KAC/DPMS style. They are not as costly and work better than anything else when you get them in the P Mag. An Armalite upper has to have a small mod done to accept the mag also so I just made my own uppers to fit it correctly.
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 2 weeks ago #7282

Interesting. What sort of mod? And how has it affected reliability? I agree that P-Mags are the heat. It's pretty much all I use with my 5.56 rigs.
RLTW
13 years 2 weeks ago #7284

Replied by Lazerus2011 on topic Re: My new build 14.5" carbine

I am genuinely curious here about the concept of a super-short AR 10.
What would be the advantages of a 14.5" BARRELED AR 10 in .308/7.62 NATO over an AR 15 in .30 BLK??

What can a 14.5" AR 10 do that can't be done lighter, cheaper, with less recoil and with much less muzzle blast, from a shorty AR 15 in .30 BLK or 6.8???

Personally, I don't plan on going less than 18.5" on my .308/7.62 NATO rifles. I keep searching for that "One rifle that will do it all", and so far have not found it, but my 18.5" barreled AR 10 seems to me to be the best compromise between ballistic efficiency with the full powered battle rifle cartridges, and usability.
But I also have an AR 15 shorty for those other "shortier" roles.

I keep hearing about all those 16", 14.5", and even shorter .308/7.62 NATO builds, and wonder if I am missing some thing??
13 years 2 weeks ago #7290

The mod to the Armilite upper was to mill off two little guide ears that locate the mag. They are in the way and not needed when my lower with the P Mag is used. Since they dont do anything to help a P mag, there is no reduction in reliablilty.
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 2 weeks ago #7293

It is all about what people want. I have them in 20" and in SBR. I have 5.56 machineguns with 7" barrels and with 20" barrels. They are all good fun. A buddy of mine was filming some carbine shooting and wanted a short .308 This was used. I will post the link when the video is done and it will show a lot of why this is usefull to a lot of people.

I love the 6.8 SBR. I have built several of them. This (.308) is the next step up.

I like the camo in your avatar. Earlier tonight, I just finished myself a 20" AR10 and had a buddy do it in "Reaper Woods" camo. It has a 20" Montana Rifle barrel, JP free float tube (My upper uses DPMS threads) and an A-2 stock. It is fairly light for a 20" AR 10.

This gun building is a sickness that will keep me broke forever!
tacticalmachining.com
13 years 2 weeks ago #7294

So I guess once you mill off the two ears IOT use KAC/PMags, you can't use the Armalite mag, is that correct?
RLTW
13 years 2 weeks ago #7296

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!