Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

Armalite

• Thank you received: 0

Armalite was created by Mark1960

Anyone have a suggestion on which would be the best Armalite product to purchase with a free floating barrel and I also would like a great mil-spec scope that could handle the recoil. Just starting to learn and I see I know nothing, so I'm asking, thanks.
12 years 9 months ago #8196

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 153

Replied by mrraley on topic Re: Armalite

Morning and welcome to the site...

You'll find a lot of information on here that can help you in your journy in finding the proper rifle for our needs.

You mentioned that you are looking for a free floated rifle and a scope, but here are my questions to narow it down some more.

What is your over all use for this rifle going to be?
Will you be shooting it in a compitition type events?
Will you be useing it for hunting?
At what range are you looking to reach out to?

Some of these here will help determin if you are looking for a full size rifle or a carbine. A "National Match" or a "T" model. Or if you just would like a standard battle rifle.

Again, welcom to the site, come on in, sit a spell.
"Attack the issue NOT the individual"

“Fix the problem, DON’T affix the blame”

"Prosecute the position, NOT the person"
12 years 9 months ago #8197

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Hawk45 on topic Re: Armalite

Maybe give us some feedback on what are your intended purposes of the rifle (ranges, use, etc). Then what is your budget (not including optics). Then what do you plan to spend on optics? Budget and intended use will make a big difference in your options and our suggestions.
12 years 9 months ago #8200

Replied by Mark1960 on topic Re: Armalite

Thanks for the reply, my intended use I'd for the range, I would like to learn to shoot long distance. I have no idea what to ask, all my life I have been a pistol guy and I just want to expand my learning. I feel like a AR15 is great for short range, less than 100 yards, long range requires more skill. And I have a desire to learn. My budget is this, you get what you pay for. However, i have no desire to have the most expensive rifle at the range. I have been looking at a Rock River A4 with a 20 inch barrel and a KonusPro 3-12x50 scope. This weapon also comes with a bipod. I think the Armalite version of this might be better, but that is where I start to get confused. Thanks for all your guidance.
12 years 9 months ago #8202

Replied by Mark1960 on topic Re: Armalite

My intended use is to learn to shoot long range. I am starting a journey and have no idea where to start. I know that you need a weapon for long range and a AR15 will not do the job. I have carried pistols all my life and now I want to expand my horizon. Been looking at a Rock River A4 with a 20 inch barrel and a KonusPro 3-12x50 scope and a bipod. I think the Armalite might be a better choice. I just seeking recommendations and where can I learn to shoot at that distance in Buford, GA, just outside Atlanta?
Thanks for the help.
12 years 9 months ago #8203

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Hawk45 on topic Re: Armalite

The .223 is a great round for target shooting. Going with the AR15 platform offers lots of options. .223 will be very accurate to 600yds, but you will want a faster rate barrel (1:8 or 1:7 twist) to be able to sling the heavier bullets (69gr - 77gr). Actually the 77gr SMK out of a .223 has similar ballistics for drop/drift as a 175gr .308 out to 600yds. The only thing you are losing is energy on target, but since this is just for paper punching, that doesn't matter.
In an AR platform, the barrel and trigger are going to make the big difference in accuracy (and of course the drivers skill). Rock River makes great ARs and would be a great starting point. If you really wanted to start out right, you could buy a complete lower and a Noveske Rogue Hunter Upper and be set. Then you know the only thing that makes you miss is your skill.

As far as optics go.. actually they are going to limit you more than your gun. A great gun with crap optics won't get you the potential of the gun. A good rule of thumb is to spend on your optics the same amout as your rifle itself. There are some great values out there but I would not go with a Konus as I don't belive it is the best value for the money. Look for good used optics or look at the Vortex Viper and PST lines. Heck, I'd even take a Bushnell Elite 3200 mil/mil 10x before the Konus and right now SWFA has them with a set of rings for like $150. Great scopes for the price.. probably the best value out there.. just search, you won't see a bad review. I have 3 of them and work on everything from my .22's to 300WM. Fixed powers have less parts to break like cheaper variable optics. If you want something even better, send me a PM, I have a Leupold I'm putting on the market soon (3.5-10 VXIII LRT)
12 years 9 months ago #8205

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Re: Armalite

I just purchased Armalite's base model, 20 in. barrel, flat top receiver and the accuracy has blown me away! I mounted a bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10 and am very impressed with it as well. It has always shot right near 1 moa, first group out of the box is one of the best I have ever shot. The last real rifle shooting I have done was in the service some 25 plus years ago so I don't have any comparisons but I'm real pleased with the rig.
I have some issues with the fit of some non-critical parts, my buttplate,but the parts that count have obviously been given some attention.Only 300 or so rounds fired but no problems.
LIBERTY FIRST!
12 years 8 months ago #8232

Replied by OldJarhead on topic Re: Armalite

There used to be a range called South River in McDonough GA a litle S.E. of Atlanta. The rifle range went out to 600 yds when I competed there. I moved years ago and not sure of they still operate it or not. It was (maybe is) a great facility with trap/skeet/rifle/pistol/IPSC and SASS pits as well.
12 years 8 months ago #8234

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!