Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× Participate in designing the AR10T.com Ultimate AR-10 Rifle! Based solely on the members of this site. The UAR-10 will be a true reflection of the design concepts wanted by this community.

help!

• Thank you received: 0

help! was created by Cullenwruth

looking to get my first ar10. Im looking for a rifle that shoots 800 yards accurately, .5 moa. want to stay around or under $2,500. what should i be looking for? thanks
12 years 6 months ago #8996

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mantawolf on topic Re: help!

12 years 6 months ago #8998

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: help!

Since this is a ArmaLite site! here's my 2 cents: :laugh:
www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10TB...aa-aea0-49488ec48776 B)
Take a look around there site and they list MOA unlike other manufactures! :whistle:
AKAI
12 years 6 months ago #8999

Replied by mantawolf on topic Re: help!

Sometimes reputation speaks louder than what some sales person can stick on a website...

www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/210331_Wife_...th_the_OBR_7_62.html

:P
12 years 6 months ago #9006

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: help!

Just thought Cullenwruth was looking for an AR-10 mantawolf not an OBR nice groups for 100yds :cheer: no offence taken B) Cullenwruth hope this has given you you some good info :cheer: plenty of ideas to go around and you can't learn if you don't ask, so were here for you friend B)
AKAI
12 years 6 months ago #9011

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re: help!

Well that is a TALL ORDER...that moa at that range...for that price...hmmmm.
I would say a AR-10 T Rifle length...but a Super Sass might be in order as well...as for the OBR...well...
But really...as someone once told me...
You can have a 10 thousand dollar rifle and not hit the barn...standing next to it...or you can have a 1K rifle and pop an apple at 1000 yards...
it is all depending on the shooter's ability...not the gun...but it helps.. :pinch:
BMS
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
12 years 6 months ago #9063

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by txlongshotb4 on topic Re: help!

Well, 800 meters isn't out of the spectrum of ability for an AR-10. I have shot mine out to 1,000 meters, and it can handle the task. I can assume when you say that you'd like to keep it under 2500 bucks that you are not including the cost of optics and mounting into the cost.
BMS is very much correct...the shooter's ability is the biggest factor in the long range game. Equipment is all together another issue. There are guys out there that can get behind a stock grade M1A and group a competitive national match score at 1,000 yards with open sights, and more power to them! For the rest of us that don't sport a big S on the front of our shirts and wear red underwear on the outside of our pants for no good reason, it never hurts to hit the firing line with some top-notch equipment-and therein lies the hard part, because what works for me might not work for you and vise versa.
There are some stock guns out there that are up to the task. I've never fired an OBR from LaRue, but I have shot their stealth series AR15 guns and I use a lot of LaRue peripherals on my rifle. I can say with great comfort that they make a very good product, and if Mike LaRue says his gun will hit a certain MOA at a certain range, well I am inclined to take his word for it. I am a bit skeptical of the super sass from DPMS. Again, I have never shot one. What I have seen from DPMS is a product that has been mass produced and as such the quality seems to have been sacrificed to cut down on cost. That said, the super sass might well be in a different production grade than what I've put my paws on-but I am still skeptical.
Here is an option worth looking into. I don't know if you are familiar with G A Precision guns or not, but they offer an AR10 that seems to be pretty cost effective. Once again, I have never fired their AR10 gun-but GAP builds some of the best bolt action rifles I have ever had the pleasure to fire-so much so that I paid a lot of money for not one but two of them-and both of them are around .25 MOA guns. Take a look at the testimonials on their web site-I can vouch that every praise sung to them has been truly earned. I am a sniper for the Army, and as such I keep the company of many other snipers, andwe fall into two catagories within our community; those of us that own GAP rifles and swear by them, and those of us that don't own one but want one very much so. The downfall with GAP-and this is the reason I didn't go with their AR10 when I built mine-is that you'll have to wait for several months to get one built as they are quite backed up on orders...but it would most assuredly be worth waiting for.
Yet another option, buy a stock gun, and upgrade it. For the sake of long range accuracy, I'd say the two major components to upgrade would be the barrel and the trigger group. When I built my rifle, I opted for a Lilja 24 inch heavy barrel and a JARD 2.5 lb trigger group. You will also want to put a forward hand guard on the rifle that is free floated, so as not to impart any undue torque on the barrel when assuming various firing positions. I built my rifle off of an Arma Lite platform, and I have mine pretty much customed out as far as I can possibly take it. However, as far as the accuracy of the rifle is concerned, the barrel and the trigger are without question the two most critical components that need to be addressed. You might be hard-pressed to do these modifications to an Arma Lite gun for 2500 bucks, but I think that if you play the cards a little closer to 3000 you could get it done this way.
About that .5 MOA part...It's kind of a tall order to fill. That's not to say it isn't possible, but it takes considerable tweaking to get it there. Realize, .5 MOA is a hard milestone to hit even with all but the best of bolt action rifles. When you think about all of the moving parts and mechanical actions that occur when an AR10 fires and cycles, there is a lot more going into the equation in terms of repeatable accuracy when dealing with any semi-automatic action rifle. That said and as previously mentioned, tuning an AR10 to shoot a .5 MOA consistently isn't a recipe that can be duplicated from one rifle to the next-it requires lots and lots of tweaking on the work bench, in ammo selection and/or reloading/ and in the feedback you get from the range for each individual gun. I have seen guys get lucky, buy a rifle and shoot consistently great groups right out of the box...and I'd like to slap some of them in half for it, because I've never had such luck and I'm jealous. Maybe I'm just too picky, but it usually costs me thousands of dollars and up to a year of R&D, tweaking loads, scraping and replacing components and pulling out large chunks of hair before I finally get what I'm looking for.
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by txlongshotb4.
12 years 3 months ago #9866

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!