Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Trigger Selection ?

• Thank you received: 7

Trigger Selection ? was created by MsgtBill

Evening. I have a Ruger SR-762 and the factory trigger breaks at about seven pounds with quite a bit of creep ( gritty ). I am thinking about replacing the trigger but cannot decide between the Timney - AR-10, small pin, four pound trigger at about $235.00 ; or
the Geissele, Super Semi Automatic Enhanced Trigger at about $230.00. Both units are well respected by different people and I am not able to find a reasonable comparison between the two. The two stage Geissele sounds very interesting for long range shooting but then so does the Timney which is also a very compact easy to install one piece package. If anyone out there has one of these units please give me your impression. Thanks and stay safe !
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MsgtBill.
9 years 11 months ago #37892

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic Trigger Selection ?

Hey Bill,

I have a Timney trigger in one of my bolt guns and it works pretty well.

About 18 months ago I had the opportunity to try out the Geissele's SSA and SSA-E triggers now let me tell you!

First, I was very impressed with the actual design of this trigger. Everything about it is first class and well machined. All of the contact surfaces are polished to a mirror and appears to be hardened prior to finished grinding and polishing.

Each trigger group comes with centerless ground pins machined and polished to +/- 0.0002...Extremely accurate. Also included is a push pin to aid it assembling...and it does just that. Installing these triggers is really a breeze.

Geissele SSA

This is a great trigger. The design allows me to feel its action and break but when it breaks it does so it's predictable and very safe...I would call this a premium combat trigger.

Geissele SSA-E

I like this trigger and and this is the one I've chosen for all my AR's including the current AR-10 build.

The SSA-E is so smooth with the second stage breaking at about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds "I think" The break on this trigger is crisp, almost a glass-like break with no discernible creep. Very consistent, very crisp, and absolutely the best AR trigger for precision work either in the field or off the bench...

Hope this helps a bit...
9 years 11 months ago #37912

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Trigger Selection ?

I have a Timney skeleton in one rifle and a few have the SSA triggers from Geissele.
Both are simply outstanding.........if I had toy pick, the Geissele gets the edge.
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 11 months ago #37919

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Trigger Selection ?

Over the years I have used a couple of different brands of enhanced triggers in my AR platform rifles. But I replaced them all with Geisseles.

I have the more expensive Hi-Speed National Match - Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) Trigger and the Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle Trigger in my older rifles. These were the earlier models and they are still available but I think the SSA and the SSA-E have displaced them in popularity. The difference between the Hi-Speed and the SSAs is that the SSAs are not adjustable.

Regarding the SSA vs. the SSA-E here is the difference per Geissele's website:

"The Geissele SSA has a pull weight of about 4.5lb. 2.5 lbs on the first stage and 2lb on the second stage."

"The Geissele SSA-E has a pull weight of about 3.5 lbs. There
is 2.3 lbs. on the 1st stage and 1.2 lbs. on the 2nd stage."

Personally if I were buying one today it would be an SSA or SSA-E depending on which trigger weight I want. I really like the National Match triggers I have but for me they are overkill now that the SSA and SSA-E are available. Also no adjustments means a simpler more reliable design.

One more comment/thought. Many will just think the lighter trigger weight is "better". In my view that is simplistic wrong headed thinking. Think about your application and use patterns before you buy. A heavier recoiling rifle may be better served with the heavier trigger since the possibility of a recoil induced double tap is higher with the lighter trigger.

Good luck whatever you choose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, NightForce
9 years 11 months ago #37961

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic Trigger Selection ?

I'd add self defense to the list of uses that are better served with a bit higher pull weight. :usa:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 11 months ago #37963

Agreed! Light triggers and self defense are a poor combination especially during stress fire...
9 years 11 months ago #37970

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic Trigger Selection ?

Here is the trigger I had a smithy installed in My AR10.

www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-b...aspx?sku=100-003-613

The second stage was set too light so I snugged it down a bit. I think now that it will be about perfect for Me.
Maybe, after I get to shooting a lot, I might reset it to a lighter second stage again.
I really like the Geissle triggers.
My 30-338 has a "Timney Sportsman" that seems to be a mighty fine unit too, but, I prefer a two stage setup and I may be changing that trigger out, either for a Timney or a Geissele.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
9 years 11 months ago #38049

• Thank you received: 212

Replied by faawrenchbndr on topic Trigger Selection ?

And in this case, the ALG ACT trigger is the best I have tried......and it's $65.
I have this in my beater truck/home gun

www.bravocompanyusa.com/ALG-Combat-Trigg...at-trigger-(act).htm
NRA Life Member
USAF(ret)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83, NightForce
9 years 11 months ago #38054

I too have tried the ALG trigger and was very impressed with how crisp this single stage trigger really is. For $65.00 it's definitely worth the price...
9 years 11 months ago #38101

• Thank you received: 111

Replied by SOC on topic Trigger Selection ?

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

Train regularly with a light trigger, under stress you revert to training and muscle memory.

My vote is for the Geissele Super Dynamic, the flat trigger bow adds a new dimension to shooting.

Press high on the trigger and you have a very quick trigger for rapid shots.

Press low and you have a more sensitive trigger for longer shots.

IMHO 3.5 lbs (SD-E) trigger weight is just about right on a 2 stage.

5 lbs on a single stage can be a bit light depending on over travel and reset.

I judge safety factor on how much effort it takes to induce doubling. If I get doubling just by getting a little sloppy shooting casually that is a red flag. If I have to use a little technique to induce a double... triple... mag dump... that's another issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy, Libertarian623
9 years 11 months ago #38118

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!