Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

× In order to post to the "Wanted" forum you must be either a Club Member, Supporting Member, Lifetime Member, or Industry Sponsor.

Looking for the AR-10 book

• Thank you received: 4

Looking for the AR-10 book was created by Hank in Arkansas

Ever since I bought my Armalite AR10B, I've been researching the history of this design. Lots of information on the internet references as a source a book entitled "The Armalite AR-10" by Maj. Sam Pikula, Ret. I've tried searching for a source to buy this book, but no luck. I've tried Ebay, Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I've also searched several so-called military book dealers. No luck. Anyone familiar with this book, and where it might be obtained? Maybe it's not a book, but a magazine article or something. Just don't know and can't seem to find out.

Also, "The Black Rifle" by Stevens and Ezell is often quoted in articles about the AR10. I've seen that book at gun shows; if anyone has a personal copy, can you tell me if there's enough info on the original AR10 to make the book worth buying. I hate to buy such a book if 99% of it is on the AR15/M16. Thanks guys.
15 years 5 months ago #567

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

I have been trying to find the same book! The internet has proven useless ... all links lead to references of the book. I can not even find information on the publisher.
15 years 5 months ago #570

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

Same here. Still cannot find anything on this particular book. Have you looked at "The Black Rifle" to see it the AR10 info is comprehensive enough to justify buying it? It ain't cheap.
15 years 5 months ago #571

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by crux on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

Library of Congress has no listing for that author.

Supposedly the book comes with this auction:
www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=116616174
15 years 5 months ago #587

I spoke to the Author of "The Armalite AR-10". He indicated he'd run out of the books for some time. It didn't sound like he had a present interest in a reprint, but didn't rule it out sometime in the future.

I didn't want to bother him unduly. Sounds like it's going to be a rare comodity for some time.
15 years 5 months ago #601

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

crux wrote:
That is quite an expensive book!
15 years 5 months ago #603

Replied by Hank in Arkansas on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

Thanks to all you guys for the info, and efforts to locate this book. Actually speaking to the author must have been interesting. It appears that we won't be finding it anytime soon. I'm going to keep my eye open at gun shows, just in case someone has an old copy to sell.

I'm still curious if any of you have a personal copy of "The Black Rifle", and if it has enough AR10 info to make it worth buying.
15 years 5 months ago #607

It depends on what level of detail you're interested in. I understand that book has a lot of engineering background which I would find very interesting. Not sure if I want it $50 worth though. Still, you never know when you'll find a good book in a random pile somewhere for a good price. Pays to keep an eye out.
15 years 5 months ago #614

I found a lady here localy that has a copy of the AR-10 book by Maj. Sam Pikula. She wanted $75 for it, said she new the author and used to sell the books like hotcakes. At that price point, I had to pass. She also pointed out there is a Black Rifle II book, which talks about today's revival of the AR-10.
15 years 3 months ago #909

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by bobofthedesert on topic Re:Looking for the AR-10 book

If you were offered a copy of this book for $75, you were foolish not to buy it, this book being nigh well unobtainable. The author had it privately printed and sold out of it long ago. It is considered the seminal reference work on the subject and no one who has a copy is likely to part with it.
13 years 1 week ago #7332

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!