Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

The Legalities of Shooting People

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

I also watched the video. I use this material all the time when discussing attacks, what I always tell the personnel that I teach boxing/judo to is that when viewing the video please keep in mind that Adam was primed (CNS) operating at about 120% of actual real time speed and was not otherwise occupied. When you take this into consideration the circle expands greatly. Now compound the situation of more than one suspect. When in doubt create distance draw and direct them to get down while you call for help. Again we arrive back at Train Hard!!!! and the Farnam drill.
9 years 4 months ago #43389

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Judah80 on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

Most CCW holders carry with one in the chamber, and this is precisely the reason why. However, with momentum and adrenaline, the knife holder may not stop or even slow down once shot.

This is why learning to move and shoot is a critical skill to have, albeit a difficult one to master.
9 years 4 months ago #43390

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

The fastest human sprint speed (according to WikiThing) is 27.44 MPH, or 44 feet per second. The question I ask myself is how many seconds would it take for me to positively identify the situation as threatening. Any time at all is clearly too long.
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
9 years 4 months ago #43394

Exactly Charlie, it is a very complicated training issue. The only way to recognize a threat is through constant situational awareness, which is generally not part of the CPL class that most get. When in fact it is one of the most important survival mechanisms.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
9 years 4 months ago #43403

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

Situational awareness used to be a big factor in all parts of life, not just self defense. As a kid on the farm every day I would hear the phrases "watch that", " Be careful"' "pay attention" and so on. These days we have made life so comfortable and safe for our kids they have been lulled into a false sense of security. I'm not promoting child endangerment but a little more exposure to to danger as children may give them better tools to deal with it as adults. :twocents:
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43405

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

I spent two years working in an inner city area that in the old days would be termed a Skid Row, or a Ghetto. While most the people I interacted with were decent, you earned situational awareness in a hurry. What people are doing, who is taking an interest in you, their movements and positioning, etc. etc..
A Chinese proverb comes to mind. "know your enemy before he knows he is your enemy." When I am in a crowd I am constantly looking around to see who has an interest in me or my loved ones, and who is entering our personal space. As they are usually blissfully unaware of what is going on around them, I feel like someone needs to be aware of the SitRep.
9 years 4 months ago #43408

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

I joke about my spidey senses starting to tingle. They've been tuned quite keenly at some point in my life. While they are easy to neglect on a day-to-day basis, there's no mistaking them when they arise.

Actually, tinglin' ain't what's happenin' at all. All inputs seems to go dead flat. It's a tricky situation...what's the danger?
Imagine this happening while you're driving, getting ready to do some laps at a trackday, climbing off a roof, at the gas station...anything.

Sometimes it's a warning to do something. Other times it's a warning to NOT do something. Catch 22. You don't know if you're dodging the bullet or walking into it, but you absolutely can not be paralyzed by fear. I've learned to "proceed with caution".

Learning to trust it is a difficult proposition. Successfully adhering to its message, the danger may never present itself and one is left wondering, what the hell was that all about? On top of that, when do you relax from your DefCon?

Some might call it ESP. I consider it a tag to some sort of subconscious wisdom, knowledge or experience.
In the past, I've paid some heavy prices for neglecting its message which makes it all the more ominous when it arises.

Shit. Now I'm scared. :D
9 years 4 months ago #43412

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by jtallen83 on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

Always trust your gut! Better to be ready for nothing than not be ready for something. Grandma called the feeling a premonition, some family members called her superstitious but she was right to often for me to ignore what she said.
LIBERTY FIRST!
9 years 4 months ago #43414

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by funfred on topic The Legalities of Shooting People

Well that certainly put it into perspective. In a word, that's exactly what it is.

No wonder I've had so many premonitions. I'm always up for doin' somethin' stu-, er, with a high risk factor. ;)
9 years 4 months ago #43416

Call it what you want, premonition, gut instict, womans intuition. Your gray matter has a good survival mechanism, and while your not aware of it the brain is constantly scanning its enviroment for clusters of recognizable events. When confonted with enough of these events it shakes the conscious mind into a the dead zone that Fred talked about. Whether it senses danger because you have to people that have been tailing you for 50 feet. Or it simply noted someone watching you. Or a blind corner is coming up it it wants you to cut the pie, and swing it wide. Could be that going to that ATM location is not such a good idea. Often it is benign, but occasionally it is not.
We can train in situational awareness a couple of ways. One exercise that can be done weekly is the visual inventory exercise, while walking in a store or outside , look around and describe what you see silently to yourself of course (otherwise people stare). You would be surprised what you note when paying attention. This does two things it gives you a better baseline normal, and you will have a better idea what your recognition threshold is.
A second exercise, is a wargame that continually runs though your mind where you present yourself with scenarios thoughout the day and you methodically figure out what you would do given these circumstances. Know where your exists are, choke points(main entrances), service doors, cover and consealment, shooting lanes. How to evac your loved ones effectively from the situation. That in itself is a whole other topic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Libertarian623.
9 years 4 months ago #43417

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!