Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Fell into AR 10

• Thank you received: 529

Fell into AR 10 was created by OleCowboy

Been looking for a hog gun in .308.

I have several 5.56 but I like to pull the trigger once, that is just me!

Contenders were:

Ruger mini in 7.62x39 Russian

SAI M1A Scout, 18" bbl

I wanted a smaller gun for moving in and around the brush here in the Hill Country of Texas.

Shared gun with wife who is a hunter, 5'9" and 135 lbs, she felt the M1A when loaded with a mag was a bit heavy for her, so that went away. I am not a fan of the 7.62 Russian if I wanted less then would be looking at the .270 Win.

So I have begin to look, hit the gun stores and talk to other folks about more options.

Looked at the AR 10 but silly money keep me away, its just a HOG gun not a showpiece.

Then this am I was in a gun store and the guy tells me to make my own and he can help. He just bought the store a couple of months ago and wants to thin out some inventory. He says wait I want to show you something.

He comes out with a AR 10 Super SASS Upper Assembly:

Adjustable gas system to optimize rifle function with suppressor as well as the AR design enhancements that our engineers have made standard on every ArmaLite AR-10.

Each ArmaLite Complete Upper Assembly includes a forged upper receiver assembly, barrel assembly, bolt carrier group and charging handle assembly. All complete upper assemblies are test fired as complete rifles before shipping.

AR-10 uppers use 7175-T74 aluminum.
.875 at the Journal (Under the gas block)

Caliber: .308/7.62 X 51mm NATO
Barrel: 20" Triple lapped, Ceramic Coated AISI 416R Stainless Steel Match, Threaded 5/8x24
Rifling Twist: RH 1:10"
Muzzle Device: Flash Suppressor, Threading: 5/8"-24
Front Sight Base: Quad Picatinny Rail Handguard
Upper Receiver: Forged Flattop with Picatinny Rail & Laser Engraved Rail Numbering 7175-T74 Aluminum

Your Price: $1,814.00 EA

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=10002025F

I tell the guy I not in the gun building business, just need a hog gun and maybe some white tail. He said all you have to do is add the lower and you got it. He said I am not focused on AR guns in this store, so I don't have a lower and I just want to move out the parts.

I tell him to make me a 'walk out the door now and take it with me price'! He says it MSRP for just over $1800 I will take $900 now! I told him, unless you bought that specific part and it was priced in the sale of the store you really can say what you have in it can you? He no, not really, its was just here. I said I will give $450 and it leaves the store with me NOW!

He said SOLD!

Now to go find a AR 10 lower...got a gun show coming up this weekend over in San Antonio...

ANYONE have any suggestions, adds on's, optics, etc etc. This is my first AR and first in .308

12 years 3 months ago #10253

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Holy Cow! You have just made the deal of the century!

What you want is right here:

AR10 ARMALITE LOWER HALF ASSY BLACK, NM TRIGGER

Add a sling and a couple of 20rd mags and you're in business for less than one K.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #10256

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Thanks...I am thinking going with the tactual trigger setup over the match as is not a target shooter by a down in the bushes hunter????????????

I also want to go with the adjustable stock.

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=L10P...0c-bc96-d7c6ca2b924a

It does have a fold down front sight, but the rear sight was not on it and the guy was not sure where or if he even had it. Any suggestions????? on a rear iron sight and.

Some kind of optic. I am hunting hogs, short distances lots of brush and trees. Long shot will be 50 yds in most cases. I live in Hill Country N of San Antonio if you are familiar. Very hilly.
12 years 3 months ago #10257

The factory trigger is nice too, that's what's on my 10BF. I suggested the NM trigger because your upper will do 1 MOA or better, and it's better to have a feature you don't need than to need a feature you don't have.

You'll need a matching rear sight. Check here and see if you recognize your front sight:

Detachable Sights & Mounts

I've got the EX0022 30mm mount. My scope (Bushnell Elite 6500) has a 50mm objective, but other folks say they've mounted a 56mm scope on an EX0022 and still had barrel clearance.

Charlie
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by Charlie. Reason: Clarity
12 years 3 months ago #10258

Thanks...I am thinking going with the tactual trigger setup over the match as is not a target shooter by a down in the bushes hunter????????????

I also want to go with the adjustable stock.

www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=L10P...0c-bc96-d7c6ca2b924a

It does have a fold down front sight, but the rear sight was not on it and the guy was not sure where or if he even had it. Any suggestions????? on a rear iron sight and.

Some kind of optic. I am hunting hogs, short distances lots of brush and trees. Long shot will be 50 yds in most cases. I live in Hill Country N of San Antonio if you are familiar. Very hilly.
12 years 3 months ago #10259

Yep, it seems to be this one: www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EX34...4c-8fe6-3aef9d5d6653

Not sure which rear I should use? Lots to pick from.

Same goes on optics. I want fast moving, from hip to shoot in one swift motion, I am not generally spending a lot of time aiming and taking long shots with hogs...they kind of pop out of the brush and generally run toward you...LOL

As for deer, a low power scope will do. Unless you are out in some of the flatter areas you are shooting less than 100 yd.
12 years 3 months ago #10260

Woah! $95.00 for the front sight alone! Would you do the dealing when I buy my next truck? :laugh:

Charlie
12 years 3 months ago #10261

WOW, I just noticed that it does not come with a sight, so I got one, REALLY makes this a good deal.

The reality is that I just happen to know what an AR 10 SASS was had I not, I would have walked on it. As getting uppers for under $500 bucks is easy, in fact in my research I was stunned at just how low priced some of the stuff is!! Guess if you got access to a CNC machine and a stack of alum beer cans you can build up a lower.

But in my world I have a saying: Good don't come cheap and Cheap don't come good!
12 years 3 months ago #10263

• Thank you received: 188

Replied by LebbenB on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

When I saw how much you paid for your upper, my eyeballs rolled back into my head. That kinda stuff NEVER happens to me. Good on ya, brother.

As for an optic, since you're hunting hogs in brush, you might want to look at an Aimpoint T1/H1 with a 3x magnifier. The T1 alone is a true 1x RDS w/4 MOA dot that'll work well at short ranges. With a 3x magnifier, you'll be able to reach out much further and take advantage of that great Armalite barrel. This set up will also help keep the overall weight of the gun down.

Alternately, you could look at a 1-4x variable. Millett's DMR-1 is a decent entry level scope of this type, though their quality is kinda hit or miss, IMO. At the very top end is the Schmitt & Bender Short Dot.

OR...Because of the modularity afforded by the M1913 receiver rail, you could have a couple of scopes zero'ed to the rifle and attach the optic that best suits the mission of the day - Going hog hunting? Attach an RDS and off you go. If deer hunting is on the agenda, attach a 3-9x and have at it. Bottom line: Mounting optics on a rail-equipped AR is a helluva lot easier than on an M14/M1A.

Throw some pics up when you get your rig sorted out.

Leb
RLTW
12 years 3 months ago #10266

Thank you on the advice, I will look into those optics...

I guess I should say that the gun store is actually a very small store tucked away inside of a Ranch and feed store, so its not some big store setting down on main street. This was the son of the feed store, his operation. The owner daughter had another corner of the store where she peddled jeans and stuff for the younger set. The whole thing was sold just a few months ago an I understood they leased out the gun sales to some retired guy and the cute clothing is now gone.

They have about 35 pistols in stock and about 75 long guns of which about half are shotguns. The real focus is on serving the local ranchers that trade there. In fact if you drive by you won't even know they really sell guns unless you notice some of the decals in the window...its just a big ranch-feed store. I buy feed there sometimes and knew they had a few guns. But had not been in since it all changed hands and I wanted to see what had changed or if they were even doing guns anymore.

They did have about 6 or so AR 15 platforms (NOT Aramalite), but their focus has gone into prime bolt action and shotguns for local hunting. Guess if I had not been shooting the breeze with the guy (I was only guy in there looking at any guns) and telling him of my struggle to find the right gun for what I want to do. That is when it popped up and said 'build your own and I have something that will work for you'. Building my own was never on my radar at all and I had pass on the AR 10 due to the cost. But at this price point I can put together a really decent AR 10 SASS grade and spend not a lot more than about $1500 bucks or so.

Just glad I knew what he was offering me in that upper.

Since they were not a AR dealer they don't have any parts so its the gun show Sat and Bass Pro is down the road so will start making rounds and try to find some deals.

What I need:
Rear iron sight: I will go with something out of the AR catalog around $85 or so

Hog optics: The quickness of red dots type is clearly the way to go IMO and I will explore the suggestions provide on here

Deer optics: The 3x9 is a great choice and I am going to look for something I am thinking that is similar to my scope on my 5.56 which is drop compensated and has a lighted reticle. I assume they have something similar for the .308, open to any suggestions

On optics I am looking at the value line in cost. I will let the trophy hunters chase the big stuff with big dollars. In fact this year will be my first year that I will hunt with optics at all and that is just due to my eyes are not what they used to be.
12 years 3 months ago #10268

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!