Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Fell into AR 10

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Sounds like you got one heck of a deal and will have a great set up :dry: some people :lol: Guess your getting ready for a pig roast, post up some pix, and roast recipes, smoked over open flame or what. I'm hungry got to go fire up the grill :blink:
AKAI
12 years 3 months ago #10271

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by navajo on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Which gun store and where? I have 2 AR 10s always looking for extra stuff.
Is the store in San Antonio?
12 years 3 months ago #10286

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Ole Cowboy, you mentioned that your wife didn't like the M1A for it's weight? It may be hard to tell now before you get this SASS put together, but it's going to tip the scales at over 11 pounds unloaded, no scope/mount. You are looking at 12+ pounds and 2" more barrel length loaded with scope. That M1A at 18" is probably around 9.8 pounds loaded with five rounds and your average scope weight. She's prolly not going to be able to share this SASS, if that's your intent. I wouldn't want to carry a SuperSass around through the woods of any kind myself, and I'm above average size. I think you should consider a carbine especially for hog hunting in fairly thick brush. I'm assuming this is the 20" standard Arm. SuperSASS barrel, and that you are not going to be trying to shoot deer at long ranges either?... That's a 1000 yard capable gun... and while I personally WOULD FIND a place for it in my collection, especially at that price... I don't think you are going to settle on this for your hog gun once you get out in the field with it. If money is an issue and you need to spend limited money and check off the "hog gun" need you have, I would consider either selling it as is for $1500 or so, or trading it for a complete gun more along the lines of a short to medium range hog gun in carbine length, of which many Armalites are available that fit the description. I would get a light profile, chrome lined barrel choice, slap the red dot 3x like has been suggested, and bam. With a 3x9 scope, and good ammo, you can take care of a 300 to 400 yard deer shot with that type of carbine, no problem. Or, if you can afford it... keep that sucker and whenever you can, get the armalite lower assembly with a match trigger and bring that gun to it's full potential. Head out to the open country and take down one of those trophy TX deer from 1000 yards or something... Oh, and I finally decided on the Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 with the duplex ret ($170+tax) for my Noveske N6 Carbine (I had similar needs to cover as you seem to...) but I was really close to getting the Redfield Revenge (New product line, $170 @opticsplanet.com) with the "Accu-Ranger" range finding retical with hold over points out to five hundred yards. Very good for quick target aquisition (at it's 3x power setting) for close encounters, but also quick if a longer shot opens up. :P Any way you decide to go, you got a really sweet deal! Congrats on the steal!
12 years 3 months ago #10290

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Gun Shop: Called the guy in SA and told him I waned to order some parts for my AR. Had some time on my hands as wife is out of town, so I said WTH, I will run down there. I did and he seems to be a gunsmith, not a gun store. He carries no nothing. But, I said I wanted a AR 10 SASS Lower. Then he tries to sell me a DPMS, which I push back all I get is a story about how long it will take. If I had wanted a DPMS lower I could have bought one anywhere, not drive 32 miles to order a AR and told they take too long to come in...seems like that is my issue not his. He quotes $575 + tax + shipping for a DPMS lower, bare, trigger kit and a Magpul stock as comes on the SASS.

When I asked if the trigger group was the AR Tactical or the NM, he did not seem to know what I was talking about. I then told him that AR refers to their groups as Tactical and NM or National Match.

I then asked him could I see the catalog he was looking at, he was reluctant to provide it, but did, it was a Brownells catalog...unless I m wrong they do not have AR parts or I could not find them on the website.

Of note is the whole discussion took place with me standing at a counter and him at the very back of the room almost having to yell for me to hear him.

Maybe he is a good gunsmith, but that is not how I do business, I get face to face, books are open and while I may try to provide info about a similar product the reality is the customer is always right. You make sales based upon a developing a personal relationship, not yelling across the room.

I think its more a combo of weight and physical size. The M1 is larger dimensions, especially the user interface (grip etc). While the SASS is not light, its ergonomics are much better for handling, is a easier grip and works with smaller hands. She has a Ruger Ranch rifle in 5.56, it weighs in at about 7 lbs dry and is quite short for her. I don't see her really using the SASS or a variant of in 7.62 very much if at all.

I do agree with you on your points, but having landed on this at this price point I will suffer it... :laugh: I am big guy and spend a lot of time driving a Husky 455 Rancher chainsaw that comes in at about 16 lbs wet and unlike the AR most of the work I do with it (clearing land) is done at arms length so I think I am up to the task of hauling the SASS.

With the SASS I can head out just west of the hill country and pop out to the limits of the weapon on mule deer.

I like your recommendations on optics, I will look into this. Those are decent price points for a working gun. Thanks
12 years 3 months ago #10292

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by JeffSavannah on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

Gunsmith dude should stick to gunsmithing, obviously. So wife not sharing, that's good. If I had some mullah to throw around and my wife would be out hunting hogs in hilly brush... I would get her an AR15 in the new hugely popular AAC .300 Blackout. Awesome short range (out to 250 yards) cartridge that uses everything but the barrel (basically) of a 5.56NATO AR15. Great round on a great platform that will take care of boars, zombies and even deer at shorter ranges, light and easy on recoil. - Looks like you are going to have to order online yourself, GunBroker.com has a listing you might be interested in, but it's not the buttstock you want (but that buttstock is cheap and good to have laying around as a spare actually) www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=267863333 and here is another www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271774959 along with www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA60...89-a527-7e5d6ad2fb82 and then you need to find a trigger group. That's not so hard to find, in fact I bet a member on this forum has a crisp tactical trigger group laying around they would sell you at a good price, start the appropriate topic see what happens. I would consider, however, that you go high end on your trigger. You can get a top shelf adjustable trigger, like a JP adjustable... and set it up like you want it, and change it for different purposes. For those open country mule deer at long range... you'll need a superior trigger... and a better scope than the two I suggested. But if you go tactical trigger, and are going to stay in a less than 400 yard range (apx.), you don't really need anymore scope than those. And you can switch trigger groups and scopes easy, so you'll never outfit yourself in a corner with the AR10. Also, that SASS really deserves a Magpul PRS like you mentioned, adj. cheek weld, easy rear monopod attach, adjustable LoP... and most importantly some weight back there. If you go light weight on the stock you'll not like the muzzle heavy feel at all, IMO. And this might interest you... www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=AR10...89-a527-7e5d6ad2fb82
The following user(s) said Thank You: OleCowboy
12 years 3 months ago #10293

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Charlie on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

When I was stalking my 1st AR-10 that's all I heard from the locals; can't get 'em, takes forever. This is a myth! The parts you want are in stock at more than one dealer. Impact carries a bunch of AR-10 stuff and so does Bud's. You will have to find a local FFL to transfer the lower, but you can definitely get one.

Google L10PCB.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
12 years 3 months ago #10294

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic Re: Fell into AR 10

YEP! Went to GunBroker.com did a search found LOTS of what I was looking for and ended up with this:

"The L10N has green furniture with a National match trigger. The price will be $485 with shipping and insurance.

Freedom Firearms
2349 S 61st St
West Allis Wi 53219

Thanks for your order!
"

Then skipped over to Armalite for this:

SUPERS.A.S.S. RIFLE BUTTSTOCK MAGPUL PRS; 1 EA $255.00
AR10 GEN II MAGAZINES ONE EACH: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25RND 1 EA $160.00
AR10 OWNER'S MANUAL 1 EA $4.50 $4.50

Still need optics and a rear iron sight...coming soon
12 years 3 months ago #10398

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!