Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by 1911POPO on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Monday or Tuesday, time permitting, Armalite customer service will be contacted and the entire gas system will be coming out of the rifle for a complete inspection of all components. I have a sneaky suspicion the barrel gas port may be under sized or the gas block is not located correctly.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

I'll post what the findings and corrections are.

Thanks again,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libertarian623
10 years 3 months ago #34174

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Thanks, that is important to all of us.

Years ago my dad taught me how to approach problems, he too was an engineer (electrical). I could not get one of the ranch trucks to start one day and came to see him.

He laughed and said this is easy, it is one or more of only 3 things that can go wrong:

1) Electrical

2) Fuel

3) Mechanical

Dad was right and in short order with his help I found the issue, mitigated it and hauled hay. That lesson applies to everything we are involved in. Was a HUGE help back in the early days in the IT business.
10 years 3 months ago #34194

Well we finally got time to take the gas system out of the rifle and inspect all the components. The barrel gas orifice measured .081 :censored: inches diameter. The gas key had some rough areas on the angle of the inside diameter. All other gas system components looked good.

The gas key was polished to obtain a good smooth interior surface.

The barrel gas orifice was drilled out to .084 inches diameter. The rifle was lubricated and assembled with the 10 oz buffer. 10 random manufacturers rounds were tried and the gun short cycled on 3 out of 10 rounds. The gas orifice was then drilled out to .093 inches diameter and all rounds cycled correctly.

The rifle was fired with single rounds loaded into 3 different magazines and the BCG locked back as required on an empty magazine.

Looks good to go now waiting for reasonable temperatures for range time.

Thanks for all the help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mlotziii, MrMarty51, OleCowboy
10 years 3 months ago #34238

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

:thumbs: just glad you were able to get it fixed 1911. When warmer weather comes give us a range report and an assessment of how you like it.
10 years 3 months ago #34239

• Thank you received: 132

Replied by mlotziii on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

On minor thing to add that no one has mentioned yet is lubing up the bolt carrier group. I had some issues with my BCG not locking back and/or not picking up the next round. The solution was to lube up the BCG some more. I use a gun grease on my bolt and lots of rem oil.

I had a similar problem with my 1911 and after the right amount of grease I've never had another jam.

Here's a great product if you're not familiar with it: www.nraguncare.com/tw25b/tw25b-lubricating-light-grease
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrMarty51
10 years 3 months ago #34243

• Thank you received: 216

Replied by Libertarian623 on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

1911 way to tough it out. You came, you saw and you kicked its ass. A range report would be nice, in the spring.
10 years 3 months ago #34250

• Thank you received: 529

Replied by OleCowboy on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Glad you got it sorted out and fixed and thank you for telling us. I now have something else to add to my list of what could go wrong... :twothumbs:
10 years 3 months ago #34256

• Thank you received: 147

Replied by Akai on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

My list of what could go wrong (EVERYTHING) and it usually does :pinch:
AKAI
10 years 3 months ago #34261

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by MrMarty51 on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

I have been using CRC Sta-Lube, extreme pressure anti seize, Engine assembly lube with Moly Graphite. part number SL3331.
It is a light grease, I like it with the Moly Graphite too.
Seems to work real good, have not had any action issues with using it. Besides, it is what I have on the shelf above the working bench in the garudge. :rotfl:
When I am at the range I also use CLP Break Free in the aerosol cans.
Things is moving fast now.
What`ll You say when Jesus asks, Why did`nt You read My book ???
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by MrMarty51.
10 years 3 months ago #34273

We fired the rifle in the test pit at work and it cycled and functioned as required.

We have had nothing but snow, ice, wind and cold weather since all of the work was completed. Waiting for 3 more storms to blow thru Oklahoma between now and Sunday. Who ever said the Indian Nations was in the sunny South never spent any time here. Winter can be a !@#$%^%&* pain. Forecast is for 0 to 15 degrees at night, to 30 degrees daytime for the next 8 days. The wind is mostly out of the North and 15 to 25 MPH, which doesn't lend it's self to shooting on a North facing range.

Oh well spring may come sometime this year.

I use Hoppes Elite lube on the BCG, bolt on all my AR's and it appears to work well on the AR10T also.

I know I have to run more lube on the AR10 than I do and the AR15's, in fact I would consider it wet and sloppy.

I'll post a range report when I finally get out to the range.
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by 1911POPO.
10 years 3 months ago #34391

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!