Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Glad you got it worked out. This is the winter from hell. I am spending every day cutting wood so my supply doesn't run out.
10 years 3 months ago #34399

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Dabster on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Fascinating thread. My well-loved 2003 AR-10T started doing something similar last Summer. At first I thought it was an extraction issue but now think it is what you are seeing. I wish I had your skill to fix this.

My question is what you did fixing something that was done wrong during its manufacture or does your change just address another problem elsewhere in the rifle?

Thanks,
10 years 3 months ago #34586

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by SEMPERFIDOC on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Something to keep in mind when an AR won't feed the next round appropriately. Often, its due to HIGH gas pressures that are cycling the bolt carrier too soon, which by brute force, it ejects the spent round, but then the bolt carrier action is premature and will not properly advance the next round into battery. The bolt carrier fails to cycle in the proper timing. This is a common issue among DI-AR's that have shorter barrels (<20"), shorter gas tubes, etc...

DOC Jr
The following user(s) said Thank You: jtallen83
10 years 3 months ago #34592

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MountainRN on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

When I purchased my AR-10T It had a magpul carbine stock on it which caused it to short cycle. It sounds like you may have a gas problem, but I wanted you to look at something that may have been overlooked.
10 years 2 months ago #34653

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Thank you received: 547

Replied by Siscowet on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

By the way 1911 popo fixed it. It turned out to be an improper sized gas port. He drilled it out himself (gutsy!) and it is cycling normally now.
10 years 2 months ago #34664

• Thank you received: 122

Replied by NightForce on topic New AR 10T short cycles and fails to load next rou

Initially, I was thinking the bolt carrier / action needed to break in but after I read the number of rounds already fired I said probably not. Several AR's I've built required a very wet bolt carrier cycled manually 200+ times to work everything in and run consistently.

Opening up the orifice from .081 to .093 apparently worked for you. The obvious question is; what is the standard gas block orifice for an AR10 rifle?

• Did you thoroughly inspected the gas tube for any dents or slight damage?
  • Have you contacted Armalite and appraised them the problem and the corrective action?
  • Have you measured other gas blocks to gauge the average orifice diameter?
  • Have you thought about using an adjustable gas block?
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by NightForce.
10 years 1 month ago #36280

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!