Welcome to AR10T.com, the world's first forum dedicated to AR-10™ rifles .  We invite you to JOIN our friendly firearms enthusiast forum.

Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

• Thank you received: 102

Replied by BUILDING MY SASS on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

First off....a AR-10 A4 CBE for 1233!!!!!!!BUY IT!!!! :woohoo:
Hell I paid 1400 for mine..
I am not "tooting" my own horn here, but the best way is just to tell you. On the front page of the site, lower left corner...Economical Add Ons, read it...it will give you some other ideas, the other is go to Articles on the top bar, and give that a read, it, for the most part describes how and why I built mine.
As for a Red Dot, it is all going to depend on the MOA dot, the Burris XTS-135 I just got has a 5 MOA dot, more than enough to take a "man sized" target at 100 yards, it is all going to depend on how accurate you want to be and how good you can shoot....As for the price list....well hold on to your socks...

Equipment
It is better to have and not need, than need and not have.

If you think it is time to bury your guns, it is time to dig them up....

"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever...
14 years 3 months ago #2809

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

I would look at the DPMS SASS. It does have 1000yd range with the right bullet. I just coached a student that was laging back to the top of his class on the KD range with one. The 18" barrel is short enough for the house. Everyone I ever shot with the 308 didn't get back up so I know its got the punch. Its railed up so you can hang the kitchen sink on it. You would be better going with a lit redical scope than a red dot, say a 4X to 12X with the Yankie Hill backup sights (note handguard hight on the front). We are using the Lepould QRW rings on the 1000yd rifles because of going to iron sights and then back to scope in the matches. I kind of like them for for what you are planning they do re-pete to with in 10" at a 1000yds, thats a moa and they would let you use the irons if needed. Burris scopes are impact tougher by all our army test but they have never been fielded. If you go red dot get the cheep $50 ones, they work just as well as the high end ones. Some of our guys in the sand box carry 3 of the cheep ones in their vest in case they get one shot off the rifle. They doing just as good at the same price 3 for one. Match bullets expand as well as hunting bullets so theres a non issue for hunting with them.MSH
14 years 3 months ago #2811

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Qbeam on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

BMS and Dashammer,

Armalite is running a special on mags right now:

www.armalite.com/Categories.aspx?Categor...db-8379-7f8c4fb04bce

I picked some up when they had their last sale. Can't really beat the price on factory mags. Everywhere else it's $50-$60.

Dashammer, I hope we are not overwhelming you about this stuff.

Thanks,

Q
14 years 3 months ago #2812

Replied by Dashammer on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Not overwhelmed at all brothers. I love this stuff. Your right a great price on those mags at Armalite plan to make that happen for my self too.

Question on the Leupold QRW rings. They are quick connect/disconnect. But what about the base I would need or do they fit to the scope and then to the picatinny rail and it is then the base for them.

Where I live Eastern Kentucky the odd of ever getting a 1000 meter shot on anything are about 1 in 50 million. Way to much stuff between you and what ever you would shoot at. So 300 to 500 meters is going to be your max range. So that's why I am thinking .308/7.62mm accutate well past that range and enough power to shoot threw most of that stuff.

So here is what I am thinking so far.

1. AR-10A4CBE - 1233.00
2. Leupold QRW rings for the scope I have - 65.00 (not sure if I need a base for them or not.)
3. Armalite mag sale 10 25rd mags for - 350.00
4. A set of filp up sites have no idea what to get there. Open for you all's input.

My only fears about putting more that 2k$ or so into a rifle is.
A. I have to sleep sometime and my wife has an iron skillet and a Taraus PT-111 she can put her hands on.
B. 1.0987 seconds after I take that first step at 0430 hours on deer season I will hook a toe on a tree root then take a header down the strip mine hill leaving all that cool expense stuff attached to my rifle from one end of the county to the other. I am looking for a GP rifle.
14 years 3 months ago #2814

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Scaup58 on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

You might check out Trijicon accupoint scopes. They have a fiber optic/tritium illuminated dot or triangle in their reticle that needs no batteries. I snagged a 3-9x used for a very good price and like it. I wasn't sure about the triangle reticle but having used it, I like it. Works really well for Coyotes. Their 1x4 with the 30mm tube looks like it would work really well in brush country. I also have an Eotech that I use with my A4C and like it too. I use it for ACTS tactical matches. I was going to get a magnifier for it when I snagged the Trijicon. I think an Eo with a 4 or 5x magnafier would be a good hunting setup out to 400 yds.
14 years 3 months ago #2815

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

The Leoupold QRW rings is for easy access to the irons and I'm looking at home defence. They fit the flat tops fine. I seen someone had an add for DPMS SASS for $900 last week. It seems the bottom dropped out of the black gun market for now. I would strive to keep it light weight. Add a good trigger to it sometime. C-products has the mags for $22. Your wife aint going to shoot you for the first offence but you might get a Willy Nelson out of it. Hide the needle and thread.MSH
14 years 3 months ago #2817

Replied by Qbeam on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

Gents,

For those in need of DPMS magazines, I found a pretty good bargain here:

www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CP30820

They also had some other good deals too.
14 years 3 months ago #2818

• Thank you received: 26

Replied by silver78 on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

After reading your expected use - I must ask even though this is a 308 site - did you consider the 6.8? I own both and in my view, the AR10 is best when considering a longer barrel and longer ranges. When you move to carbines - at least consider the 6.8.
14 years 3 months ago #2821

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by stef on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

In Holland we've never seen the 6.8 yet.How is it compared to 7.62
I thought it was an army caliber and not for civillian use.
Is the ammo easy to get?
greetings from Amsterdam Holland.Stef
14 years 3 months ago #2822

Replied by Dashammer on topic Re:Wanting to get an AR-10 but have some questions.

I am not sure about the 6.8 cal. I think it would be hard to find ammo for but not sure. I saw a cool show on the military channel showing 6.8 cal in action it did have a lot more punch than 5.56.

So here is what I am looking at right now.

1. AR-10A4CBF - 1233.00
2. Leupold QRW Rings (For the scope I got.) - 65.00
3. AR-10-(10) 25rd mags sale at Armalite - 350.00
4. Shooters pack3 at Armalite Flip up front and rear A-10 sites - 200.00

total so far: $1,848.00

So what do you guys think of this set-up as far as a GP AR-10 rifle goes. Let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree.

I saw in one of the posts that the AR-10 will only accept Armalite mags is that true.

Also is there such a thing as a large capacity mag like 100 rds like for the AR-15/M-15 I saw surfing the net the other day.
14 years 3 months ago #2823

Show 'em Off!

Add your rifle to the AR-10 Photo Thread!